Future MD Technology Expectations
Aug 16, 2002 at 2:27 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

The real solution to either is a portable dac/headphone amp combination. I've had the luxury of auditioning a prototype of one implementation of this idea. If you want portable and quality, regardless of whether your media is CD, MD or MP3, this is/will be THE solution.

Not really, only PCDP's have digital out.
And... howbigisit?

Aug 16, 2002 at 2:54 PM Post #32 of 38
so. . . .???

Then use a personal cdp. Isn't the argument that some MD players sound better than pcdps? A PDAC would be LIGHT years ahead of a MD player by itself. . .

Aug 16, 2002 at 2:55 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Not really, only PCDP's have digital out.
And... howbigisit?

MANY MD players have digital out.
And... this one is about 2x2x6 but this is a prototype. I'm hoping the final one is more Cosmic-like in its dimensions.
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #34 of 38
Huh?
They all have digital IN. Only the MZ-1 (about 10 years old) - and the HHB MDP-500 ($1,400, size of a tank) among the current models - have digital Out.

Anyway, that aside, so it's a combined dac+amp... Interesting.

I think we lost the plot of the thread a bit, but I can't agree to MD's sounding better than PCDP's - with the exception of gloco's turdy units - and even MP3 PCDP's with 320K data.

Aug 16, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
YES, Gloco, the Sony D25S is a turd. While there are certainly many PCDPs that sound worse, most of the Sony and Panasonic players made after them have better DACs. As to the amp and headphone jack, you may not have heard about this but there are portable headphone amps.

oh ****

Aug 16, 2002 at 6:20 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse

I think we lost the plot of the thread a bit, but I can't agree to MD's sounding better than PCDP's - with the exception of gloco's turdy units - and even MP3 PCDP's with 320K data.

Granted, i'd like to make it clear i'm discussing headphone jacks and NOT line outs.

Turdy? pfft, lol. you amuse me kid.

Aug 16, 2002 at 7:05 PM Post #37 of 38
in my opinion, headphone jacks have no place in a conversation about quality among serious headphone listeners.

i have no idea why the d-25 got so popular other than the fact that it had a stoic, retro look to it and seemed to be a decent player at a cheap price.

also, i still don't see how an md player (in which all music is compressed) can be superior to a cd player (where no music is compressed). oh wait, we were just talking about headphone jacks..
rolleyes.gif

Aug 16, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
in my opinion, headphone jacks have no place in a conversation about quality among serious headphone listeners.

i have no idea why the d-25 got so popular other than the fact that it had a stoic, retro look to it and seemed to be a decent player at a cheap price.

also, i still don't see how an md player (in which all music is compressed) can be superior to a cd player (where no music is compressed). oh wait, we were just talking about headphone jacks..
rolleyes.gif

not every pcdp and md player has a line out. duh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back