Future MD Technology Expectations
Aug 14, 2002 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

disturbed

500+ Head-Fier
I'm sure this has occured to many people before but I'd like to voice my expectations.

The iPod is great, the Toshiba Gigabeat is out in Japan and frankly both look like nice players. They do lack two main features ... a line out and recording capability. I wouldn't mind sacrificing the line-out as I dont always want ot carry the extra bulk of an amp.

Recording is a must.

The Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 has all the featurs mentioned above but size is crap.

iPod size is just right. My Sony MZ-R900 is a work of art in size but one thing bugs me. The capacity to carry music. LP2 just isn't enough on the move. My mood fluctuates so often that I still have to carry about 10-20 discs but that isn't always an option.

Th recording features on MD are great but transporting it back in real time is hard. I usually capture lectures and there are a lot of them. How many MD do you expect me to buy to keep record?
Better to transport them to PC for future reference. Transferring 5 hrs of voice everyday in real time gets to you.

Now to get to the point.
NetMD is great ... but te copy protection features suck.

I noticed that sony has a Data MD which has far more capacity than the existing music discs. Why in the name of @#$@#$ can't we use those for music?

Imagine with good NetMD and those Data discs MD can become virtually indestructible. Why oh Why?

I am getting so swayed to the iPod because of the extra capacity ....

Someone epoxy my wallet .....

Aug 14, 2002 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 38
i'm with you, man. i'm an MD diehard from back when Sony first demoed the technology, but i'm getting the jitters from wanted a 20gb ipod so badly.

what's a boy to do?

Aug 14, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by lucien
i'm with you, man. i'm an MD diehard from back when Sony first demoed the technology, but i'm getting the jitters from wanted a 20gb ipod so badly.

what's a boy to do?

ditto.
frown.gif

But my e900 is just so damn cool. . .

Aug 14, 2002 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 38
Give in. Buy an iPod.

If you don't record on the move (I do), MD is nearly dead - HDD players will be almost the size of MD's in 2 years or less.

Aug 14, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 38
mds suck. they're overpriced and a pain in the ass to do anything with. get an ipod (wish it wasn't made by such a crappy, overpriced company), get eac, get lame, and start ripping.

or go the cheap, best-quality route and get a cd-burner and a pcdp. use eac to rip and burn all of your albums and listen to these spares on your pcdp. it's faster than mds, faster than mp3s (depends, but if you make them correctly it generally takes a while), and the quality is the best of the three.

Aug 14, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
mds suck. they're overpriced and a pain in the ass to do anything with. get an ipod (wish it wasn't made by such a crappy, overpriced company), get eac, get lame, and start ripping.

Must... resist... replying...

So... many... things... to... respond... to... in... one... post...

very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 14, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 38
Go on...

You know you want to....

very_evil_smiley.gif

Just to get you in the mood:

mdr-v700dj.gif
mdr-v700dj.gif
mdr-v700dj.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 14, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

or go the cheap, best-quality route and get a cd-burner and a pcdp. use eac to rip and burn all of your albums and listen to these spares on your pcdp. it's faster than mds, faster than mp3s (depends, but if you make them correctly it generally takes a while), and the quality is the best of the three.

Yuck?

Aug 14, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 38
MDs are fantastic!! I really like mine and use them quite a bit. They sound great and can be really tiny. I don't use MP3s because I never cared for the sound quality. No matter what bit rate was used.

Aug 14, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Go on...

You know you want to....

very_evil_smiley.gif

Just to get you in the mood:

mdr-v700dj.gif
mdr-v700dj.gif
mdr-v700dj.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Where's the barf bag?

Aug 14, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 38
On another note, MD players sound far better than any pcdp and the cost of buying a MD deck and portable is still less than the ipod.

Granted i would love to buy an ipod but that price is just out of reach...for now.

I definitely think MD's are on the way out unless they start using atrac compression in a new wave of portable HD players (Sony are you reading this?).

Imagine 20 gigs of Atrac 4.5 tunes?

Ah....bliss.....

Aug 14, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
MDs are fantastic!! I really like mine and use them quite a bit. They sound great and can be really tiny. I don't use MP3s because I never cared for the sound quality. No matter what bit rate was used.

Well - until now the output stages on most MP3 players were sh!te to say the least. The D-CJ01 is the first MP3-PCDP I've tried to be able to compete directly with MD's in terms of sound quality at 320K. This plus the convenience compared to NetMD makes it a winner for me.

Most people compare MD's against $100 MP3-PCDP or crappy soundcards and say it's crap - if they got a brain this might not be the case. The iPod has a superb amp which does full justice to 320K MP3's.

N1=$350 + MDS-JB940 $400 = $750.
iPod=$500.

Aug 14, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 38
IMHO if Sony wants MD to succeed in the future, they'll need to completely rework their NetMD interface to make it as easy as a CDRW drive. They also need to look at using a different kind of laser and denser storage than the current MD, kind of like DVD vs CD.

What I'd like to see within 3-5 years is an MD that can hold about 3 gig and can connect via firewire to a PC and essentially function as a removeable drive. Of course it would also need to be backwards compatible with today's MD and MDLP formats.

I guess I'm just dreaming, but the technology is available now, it just needs to be implemented and MD could become a dominant force to be reckoned with.

-Keith

Aug 14, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Most people compare MD's against $100 MP3-PCDP or crappy soundcards and say it's crap - if they got a brain this might not be the case. The iPod has a superb amp which does full justice to 320K MP3's.

N1=$350 + MDS-JB940 $400 = $750.
iPod=$500.

Um...

Sony MZE75red: $99
Sony MXD D5C: $199

Only braindead jackasses who dont search out deals spend $400 on a MD deck.

Aug 14, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco

Um...

Sony MZE75red: $99
Sony MXD D5C: $199

Only braindead jackasses who dont search out deals spend $400 on a MD deck.

Even a braindead jackass knows that anyone can get a deal - however for comparison's sake, retail is a good place to start.

If we're talking deals, iPod 10Gb with remote = $300.

Even if we take this at face value, there is the superior industrial design of the iPod, the Firewire interface, etc etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back