Future food in space travel
Jun 11, 2016 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I just bought a container of radish sprouts and it made me think that these plants in these plastic containers probably can grow easy inside future space ships and can sustain passengers on long space travels where you may be stuck on a trip that lasts a few years or more because of the extreme long distances in space. 

In the next 5000 years, people will migrate to a new home and leave Earth to another space colony and simple vegetation will be grown on  the large space ships for human consumption.

Another food of the future on space ships will be insects. Insects actually have high nutritional value and our attitudes of eating them will change in the future. There will be supplies of dried insects on the space ships but there will also be a way to have insect farms on space ships for human consumption too. 

There will be a point where eating meat may become rare for future space travelers so simple plants and insects will be the staple because of the convenience and high nutritional value.

Jun 11, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 6
  I just bought a container of radish sprouts and it made me think that these plants in these plastic containers probably can grow easy inside future space ships and can sustain passengers on long space travels where you may be stuck on a trip that lasts a few years or more because of the extreme long distances in space. 

In the next 5000 years, people will migrate to a new home and leave Earth to another space colony and simple vegetation will be grown on  the large space ships for human consumption.

Another food of the future on space ships will be insects. Insects actually have high nutritional value and our attitudes of eating them will change in the future. There will be supplies of dried insects on the space ships but there will also be a way to have insect farms on space ships for human consumption too. 

There will be a point where eating meat may become rare for future space travelers so simple plants and insects will be the staple because of the convenience and high nutritional value.

It is certainly not greenery, but when I was a kid in the late sixties and early seventies, we had these things called Space Food Sticks. Made by Pillsbury, Space Food Sticks were alleged to have a nutritionally balanced mix of protein, carbs, and fat. Supposedly, the astronauts ate them on missions.  I don't know about any of that, but I know I thought at the time that they tasted good. When I go to space, I'd like to have a box or two of Space Food Sticks along for the ride--they would transport me back to my kidhood and happy times. 

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 6
I'd look into making this possible though.

Now, while horses would make more sense since we can ride around in it (and still get milk), we don't know if it can even survive outside of sealed climate spheres, so I'd go with this one for transportation:

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 6
It is certainly not greenery, but when I was a kid in the late sixties and early seventies, we had these things called Space Food Sticks. Made by Pillsbury, Space Food Sticks were alleged to have a nutritionally balanced mix of protein, carbs, and fat. Supposedly, the astronauts ate them on missions.  I don't know about any of that, but I know I thought at the time that they tasted good. When I go to space, I'd like to have a box or two of Space Food Sticks along for the ride--they would transport me back to my kidhood and happy times. 

And how many of us who grew up in the 70's didn't drink Tang?

That stuff was the parent approved version of Kool-Aid!

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 6
Soylent green - for the win...! 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back