Fusion Jazz
Jul 7, 2002 at 7:57 AM Post #16 of 20
Some other recommendations:

Soulive - Turn It Out (my favorite out of their releases)
Galactic - Coolin' Off
The Greyboy All-Stars - West Coast Boogaloo
Poets of Rhythm - Discern/Define (not really jazz, neo-funk from Quannum Projects label)
Sun Ra - Lanquidity (more jazz w/ a little funk flavor to it, and like all Sun Ra stuff very much spaced-out and avant-garde)
Medeski,Martin,Wood - Friday Afternoon in the Universe
Karl Denson - (no specifics, but I saw him live in Central Park and it was a great show)

Anything else by these artists or related should be worth checking out as well...

Jul 7, 2002 at 10:42 AM Post #17 of 20
Of the newer, more popular Jazz-Funk/fusion outfits I've heard, I like these guys(well, of the recordings I've heard, have not been to any live performances) - a decent amount of musicianship and taste, with some genre mixing in certain tracks.

Acts like 'Galactic', or especially 'Soulville', sound comparatively flat and compromised on the recordings I've heard, can't speak to their live gigs. That "Philadelphia Experiment" recording was pretty boring imo, as well. The recordings seem too much about constant rhythm, and not enough about composition development, soloing, and subtle interplay for my tastes.

Jul 7, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #18 of 20
Miles Davis: Big Fun, Bitches Brew, Complete In A Silent Way Sessions, A Tribute to Jack Johnson, Filles De Kilamanjaro, Miles In The Sky

Herbie Hancock: anything by the Mwandishi group- Mwandishi, Crossings, Sextant. It is too bad that a live recording of this group was never released; their live performances were far superior to their fine studio recordings. I have always found the Headhunters period that immediately followed to be a major letdown.

John McLaughlin: My Goal's Beyond, The Inner Mounting Flame

Lee Morgan: The Last Session

John Abercrombie: Timeless, Gateway

Jul 12, 2002 at 2:33 PM Post #20 of 20
Anything by the Meters
Galactic- We Love 'Em Tonight, Live at Tipitina's
Soulive-anything live, hence "Soulive"
Robert Walter's 20th Congress-Money Shot
Mofro-Blackwater
Karl Denson's Tiny Universe
Papa Grows Funk
Grant Green-Live at the Lighthouse
Maceo Parker (Maceo, George and Fred aka The JB Horns)
George Porter
Fred Wesley
Melvin Sparks
Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters
Ulu
Addison Groove Project
The Motet
The Greyhounds
Stanton Moore
Garage a Trois
Sugarman 3

Users who are viewing this thread