Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
Hello all

i was walking along the side of the highway with my ALESSANDRO'S on and i got an idea for a cool thread. wouldn't it be cool to hear different peoples stories about things that have happened regarding headphones. i thought it would be interesting. feel free to post whatever you like.

here is my story.

so i was sitting at my computer listening to my alessandro ms1 right. so the volume was at 1/2 way. then the music stopped and i heard this weird buzzing sound like it was coming from my fiio e7 or something. so i paused my music to investigate. to my dismay it stilled had this weird buzz sound when i unplugged it. so i remembered they were open back and i took them off. it turns out the buzzing sound was actually the sprinkler outside. i had left my window open.

whats your story?

Jul 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 16
I've got one.

I was playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 one day with my HE-500's. I played that game with those headphones quite frequently, so it was just another day. Well, this day seemed to be different than the rest, as the game was glitching in a really odd manor. I would be walking next to a cliff on the edge of the map, yet I would hear gun shots and explosions in the direction of the cliff out of the map. Constantly throughout the game, I would hear grenades, sniper shots, or machine gun fire to the right or left of me, and I would instantly spin to that direction, gun ready, only to find nobody there. I was getting annoyed with all the sound glitches it was having, yet I continued to play. Hour after hour these problems persisted, and it would constantly confuse the heck out of me, because sounds would appear where there was no action. In general, I wasn't doing as good as I normally did, because I couldn't pinpoint enemy movement or gunfire. But finally, after playing numerous maps, it hit me. "Maybe, just maybe it's not the game's fault, but mine". I took the HE-500's off my head and realized I had put them on backwards, with the L on my right ear, and the R on my left ear. Boy, that was the ultimate revelation of the year, and also my biggest blonde moment.

Jul 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
I've got one.

I was playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 one day with my HE-500's. I played that game with those headphones quite frequently, so it was just another day. Well, this day seemed to be different than the rest, as the game was glitching in a really odd manor. I would be walking next to a cliff on the edge of the map, yet I would hear gun shots and explosions in the direction of the cliff out of the map. Constantly throughout the game, I would hear grenades, sniper shots, or machine gun fire to the right or left of me, and I would instantly spin to that direction, gun ready, only to find nobody there. I was getting annoyed with all the sound glitches it was having, yet I continued to play. Hour after hour these problems persisted, and it would constantly confuse the heck out of me, because sounds would appear where there was no action. In general, I wasn't doing as good as I normally did, because I couldn't pinpoint enemy movement or gunfire. But finally, after playing numerous maps, it hit me. "Maybe, just maybe it's not the game's fault, but mine". I took the HE-500's off my head and realized I had put them on backwards, with the L on my right ear, and the R on my left ear. Boy, that was the ultimate revelation of the year, and also my biggest blonde moment.

lmao. thats pretty funny. that could screw up your game entirely. did you still get lots of kills?

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
lmao. thats pretty funny. that could screw up your game entirely. did you still get lots of kills?

I just cannot believe it took me that long to notice! Got quite a few actually. It's still better playing like that than with no sound (but even with no sound, I'm still pretty dang good).

The positional audio was kinda working, but also kinda screwed up. If you think of a clock on the top of my head, every number was mirrored, and numbers toward the 3 and 9 positions would be the most screwed up. So if someone shot from the 1 position, it would come from the 11. Not too bad, and wasn't too irritating. But, when someone shot from the 9 position and it appeared at the 3, it would totally throw me off. Luckily, I had a lot of cases of 12 and 6, and those are the only directions that are not effected. That was probably the only reason why I didn't expect it sooner, because the positional accuracy was still working part of the time. And besides, I was too involved in the game!

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
I just cannot believe it took me that long to notice! Got quite a few actually. It's still better playing like that than with no sound (but even with no sound, I'm still pretty dang good).

The positional audio was kinda working, but also kinda screwed up. If you think of a clock on the top of my head, every number was mirrored, and numbers toward the 3 and 9 positions would be the most screwed up. So if someone shot from the 1 position, it would come from the 11. Not too bad, and wasn't too irritating. But, when someone shot from the 9 position and it appeared at the 3, it would totally throw me off. Luckily, I had a lot of cases of 12 and 6, and those are the only directions that are not effected. That was probably the only reason why I didn't expect it sooner, because the positional accuracy was still working part of the time. And besides, I was too involved in the game!

i have many friends who have the skullcandy inkd iems and they play games all the time with them.

thing is you can't tell what is right and what is left on those. plus they have like no sound stage. i have no idea how they manage with those.

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
I've got one.

I did this once. I couldn't believe how terrible I was doing. It was soo odd.

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 16
Probably not hilarious, but I was listening to a live song by a band that I've forgotten since, and the positioning was really weirdly spaced out. I could swear someone was calling out "Kyle!" (my name) from upstairs, so I yelled, "YEAH?!" and apparently nobody called for me. This happened like 3 times during the song, and I listened to it again with nobody home, and eventually realized it's the crowd. Total blonde moment.

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 16
Katun reminded me of one, similar blonde, moment.

I had my LD MKIII hooked to the loop out from the GS-1. Playing bulletstorm with the beyers I was using the GS-1 at that moment and wondered how the MKIII would do as i hadn't used it much for 3 months.
I plugged the beyer into the LD and the channels changed. I was like, What. For the time being i turned the headphones and it was all dandy again. I wondered if my LD would been damaged but i couldnt understand why. It boggled my mind for a good few hours. I even wnt to search the net for a solution.

I could offcourse have looked at the rca cables between the 2 amps at that time instead of the next day......

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 16
No one at my office seems to remember I can't hear them when I'm wearing my SE530s no matter how often I have to remind them.  You could almost forgive them since they're tiny and you won't see I wearing them if you happen to forget that I almost always wear them but when they fail to notice even the XB700 I have to question their intelligence...

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
No one at my office seems to remember I can't hear them when I'm wearing my SE530s no matter how often I have to remind them.  You could almost forgive them since they're tiny and you won't see I wearing them if you happen to forget that I almost always wear them but when they fail to notice even the XB700 I have to question their intelligence...

LOL! That takes an exceptional amount of skill.

Okay, okay. Pull out the secret weapon. Jecklin Floats...

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
Okay, okay. Pull out the secret weapon. Jecklin Floats...

I'll give that a try if someone sends me a pair.  A K1000 could work too...

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #13 of 16
Has a pair of those even gone on sale recently, anywhere? The nicer looking QP85's are always on ebay.de, but I haven't seen the Jecklins there in months, and there usually is a pair.

If I ever finally get a pair, and I certainly will (I've been saying that for the past 2 years...), I'll set up a loaner program (we all know what they are, but what the heck do they sound like?! Wikiphonia says they reek of Sigmaness) on the terms that they can only sign up if they are willing to post a picture of them wearing them in public. Who's in?

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
Has a pair of those even gone on sale recently, anywhere? The nicer looking QP85's are always on ebay.de, but I haven't seen the Jecklins there in months, and there usually is a pair.

If I ever finally get a pair, and I certainly will (I've been saying that for the past 2 years...), I'll set up a loaner program (we all know what they are, but what the heck do they sound like?! Wikiphonia says they reek of Sigmaness) on the terms that they can only sign up if they are willing to post a picture of them wearing them in public. Who's in?

I'm pretty sure only the stat Jelkins reek of Sigmaness.  I've never heard a Sigma, but I've heard a Jelkin stat and it was pretty nice.  It was a lot better than my QP85.  All floats are pretty bass light.  At the last DC meet, a bass head put on my QP85 after I warned him he'd hate them.  He listened for about 30 seconds.

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #15 of 16
Ah, I got the impression from the QP85/Model 2/Sigma comparison on the site.

And people really should listen to suggestions. Even looking at the design would bring the assumption that they probably aren't bassy. You haven't to have happened to have heard the double action one to see if the extra driver helps beef up the sound have you?h, I got the impression from the QP85/Model 2/Sigma comparison on the site.

And people really should listen to suggestions. Even looking at the design would bring the assumption that they probably aren't bassy. You haven't to have happened to have heard the double action one to see if the extra driver helps beef up the sound have you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back