funk soul jazz listeners?
post-1490563
Post #1 of 5

snoopdiggy

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi, i'm a fairly new audiophile. My main music interests are funk soul and jazz. I have a pretty big MP3 collection of old 70s albums and such and I'm also building a viny collection.

Don't get me wrong, i listen to everything else too...hip-hop, progressive house. basically anything to get my groovin.

What kind of headphones would be good for these kind of frequencies? Right now, i have an ATH-A700. they are pretty good, but I feel they might be better suited for classical music.

I'm thinking of trying out a beyerdynamic (maybe DT880)

what do you guys recommend?

post-1490623
Post #2 of 5

groovndc

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Snoopy,

Hey - I'm Barry. I am a big fan of 60's-70's funk, soul and jazz. I like the new stuff as well. Have you heard of Sharon Jones and the Dapkings? Calypso King? Keb Darge's compilations? Those are some of my faves.

Anyways, I was using Ety-6i but I'm upgrading to the UE-5c. I realize the UE-5Pro models are better suited for r&b but I decided on UE-5c. I'll let you know how some of my funk & soul sounds.

Barry

post-1490983
Post #3 of 5

milesbeyondjazz

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Other new stuff worth checking out Karl Densons Tiny Universe,Galactic,and Soullive.

post-1491089
Post #4 of 5

sgrossklass

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I'm using an EQ'd HD590 for this (and everything else, for that matter). (I happen to have a local radio station with a weekly soul/funk etc. broadcast run by a guy with vinyl collectitis.)
Soul IMHO benefits from good voice rendering, i.e. mids, and in case of older recordings can do with a bit of a highs boost (unless the record is worn, that is). Good (mid)bass can't hurt either. Jazz loves cans with good spaciousness and soundstaging. The usual suspects here would be HD595, DT880 and K501. The DT880 might be a tad too revealing for slightly worn records though (see the peak in the highs?), you'd better research this first.

post-1491435
Post #5 of 5

gratefulshrink

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopdiggy
Hi, i'm a fairly new audiophile. My main music interests are funk soul and jazz. I have a pretty big MP3 collection of old 70s albums and such and I'm also building a viny collection.

Don't get me wrong, i listen to everything else too...hip-hop, progressive house. basically anything to get my groovin.

What kind of headphones would be good for these kind of frequencies? Right now, i have an ATH-A700. they are pretty good, but I feel they might be better suited for classical music.

I'm thinking of trying out a beyerdynamic (maybe DT880)

what do you guys recommend?

the AKG 240s is known as the "groovalizer" -- maybe it will work for your needs...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)