Fun with 96/24
Dec 1, 2008 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

scootermafia

MOT: Double Helix Cables
So, here's my problem, maybe someone on here is familiar with this issue.

I have a 96/24 flac on my macbook pro. I want for either the MBP's optical out (or some sort of USB2/firewire box) to output it to my Moodlab Concept's 96/24 DAC (the Concept is in the mail) to be decoded to analog for my headamp.

Anyone know how to do such a thing? I don't know much about playing high-resolution wav/aiff files on computers and how they can be decoded or outputted.

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 3
UPDATE:

I urge anyone with a Mac to pick up a copy of Play.
Play 0.3 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

It seems to have no problem decoding 96/24 files, which made iTunes with the Fluke plugin as well as VLC die a painful death.
I tested it with copies of Bohemian Rhapsody as well as the Bjork song Pagan Poetry (it's the reference I use to test any stereo for clarity, soundstage, bass extension, and vocal warmth and can be had on DVD-A) that were encoded in 96/24. I own these songs on DVD-A so I know what they sound like.

They're indistinguishable from their counterparts being played on my Denon DVD-1920 multiformat player. Since there's less of a signal path for the sound and it's going through fewer cables, its probably more efficient that listening to it straight off the DVD-A player, especially as this player is not especially high end. It's a nice machine, but this certainly makes listening to a lot of high res songs on demand without fiddling with discs and menus more palatable.

I don't know yet whether it will work with my DAC, but i think others do 96/24 with macbook pros from today's reading of forum postings, using DACs like mine.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 3
Nice to see that you solved your own problem!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back