'Fun' IEMs? M5, SF5EB, SA6.......????
Jul 15, 2008 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

haroldc

New Head-Fier
Hello folks, new member but longtime lurker.

I just got the iPhone 3G and have been using it to listen to music on my commute. I currently have a set of UE SF5pros that are ~2 yrs old and have been very happy with them. But I'm looking for a little more bass (which is the 'fun' part), and not happy with the distortion that comes with setting the EQ to anything other than 'off'.

From reading a few threads here, I came to the conclusion that the FS M5s matched my needs. I'm not looking for an IEM that is analytical (had a set of Etys) but are fun to listen to and can make me enjoy the commute. (not sure anything can really do that)

I ordered a set from SoundEarphones and they'll arrive on thursday. But I was just able to demo the SF5EBs for a bit and I was impressed by how much bass there was! While there was some notable differences in the treble and soundstage from my SF5pros, I could live with it because I enjoyed listening to the music that much more.

How about the SA6s? I've read some great reviews, but are they more analytical than fun? The price difference is not a factor for me, I figured anything that I could use daily to make the commute better would be worth it's weight in gold.

TIA for any advice!

Harold

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 12
well i have listened to the M5/M8's and they are great bassy fun headphones. I've never listend to the SF5's, so i can't help you out there. but I have read a lot recently about the Sleeks from other peoples opinions , etc. People claim that they don't have that truly deep bass like the atrio m5's, but in every other category, (mids , highs) they are great headphones.

You can get the Sleeks for $190 shipped , and you can get the M5's for $170 shipped on soundearphones.com (with the discount coupon code)

it is a close match, you should read up in the threads of the sleek sa6 and atrio m5's. their are many lovers of both of them.

Also, sleek will be coming out with a wireless option so you can listen to your sa6's wirelessly. pretty cool
biggrin.gif

GOOD LUCK

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i have listened to the M5/M8's and they are great bassy fun headphones. I've never listend to the SF5's, so i can't help you out there. but I have read a lot recently about the Sleeks from other peoples opinions , etc. People claim that they don't have that truly deep bass like the atrio m5's, but in every other category, (mids , highs) they are great headphones.

You can get the Sleeks for $190 shipped , and you can get the M5's for $170 shipped on soundearphones.com (with the discount coupon code)

it is a close match, you should read up in the threads of the sleek sa6 and atrio m5's. their are many lovers of both of them.

Also, sleek will be coming out with a wireless option so you can listen to your sa6's wirelessly. pretty cool
biggrin.gif

GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the info.

I've read the SA6 vs M5/M8 threads and haven't come to a conclusion yet. But it looks like the M5/M8 is going to work better for me, since it has more bass than the SA6.

The similar prices are what prompted me to make this post. I guess the other option would be to order both and then return the one I liked less. Not sure if they have a restocking fee, but it guess it'll be worth it.

In terms of a wireless option, I am not interested. Mainly because I would be using these as a portable setup, so having extra bulk would not fit for me.

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by haroldc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info.

I've read the SA6 vs M5/M8 threads and haven't come to a conclusion yet. But it looks like the M5/M8 is going to work better for me, since it has more bass than the SA6.

The similar prices are what prompted me to make this post. I guess the other option would be to order both and then return the one I liked less. Not sure if they have a restocking fee, but it guess it'll be worth it.

In terms of a wireless option, I am not interested. Mainly because I would be using these as a portable setup, so having extra bulk would not fit for me.

No problem.

Their is a restocking fee at soundearphones.com, just to warn you, check their return policy.

If you really like bass, the m5/m8 's are perfect for you.
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem.

Their is a restocking fee at soundearphones.com, just to warn you, check their return policy.

If you really like bass, the m5/m8 's are perfect for you.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the restocking fee heads up!

I do believe that the M5/M8's will be what I'm looking for, just have a little buyers remorse/doubt since I haven't received them yet.

Thanks again for your help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 12
the atrio look like 30 Buck earbuds, whats the deal yo?

wont pay more than 80 bucks for these anyways.
biggrin.gif

go for westone um2, ok, with the bump in the highs the atrio should sound "funnier"

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 12
Update: I received the M5s (v2) yesterday and have been burning them in for ~12 hrs now. I just took a listen to these and they are awesome! Exactly what I was looking for in a portable IEM. Nice and punchy bass, excellent detail and great soundstage. Compared to my UE SF5pros, these are more 'fun' and find myself foot tapping along with the music.

I'll continue to burn them in overnight, and will continue enjoying them on the commute. Now I look forward to the train ride!
smily_headphones1.gif

just a note: the v2 no longer comes with the memory wire, which is fine since it works over the ear anyway. And I am using the Shure Olives, medium.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 12
Well, just IMO, the Sleek SA6 sounds better than the Atrios. Sold my Atrios after receiving my SA6.

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by haroldc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update: I received the M5s (v2) yesterday and have been burning them in for ~12 hrs now. I just took a listen to these and they are awesome! Exactly what I was looking for in a portable IEM. Nice and punchy bass, excellent detail and great soundstage. Compared to my UE SF5pros, these are more 'fun' and find myself foot tapping along with the music.

I'll continue to burn them in overnight, and will continue enjoying them on the commute. Now I look forward to the train ride!
smily_headphones1.gif

just a note: the v2 no longer comes with the memory wire, which is fine since it works over the ear anyway. And I am using the Shure Olives, medium.

Im glad you purchased them and like them. they are really nice headphones for the price range, and don't need to be amped. ENJOY!

Jul 18, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 12
what i hate about m5 is that it really really is ugly haha.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, just IMO, the Sleek SA6 sounds better than the Atrios. Sold my Atrios after receiving my SA6.

X2 on that. Sold my Atrios for the SA6 as well. It's not about the bass in my view, it's about a more refined, balanced sound. Glad the OP likes the Atrios, so did I. But to me, there was no comparison to the SA6s, mainly because the Sleeks, much like the Atrios, are never fatiguing, but the Sleeks also offer much better detail and mids. Now that they are only $20 apart, it's really an easy decision. But glad the OP found what he was looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back