Fun headphones for EDM/electronic + M/MU2 stack (£400~)
Apr 24, 2015 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hadouken

Head-Fier
Hi all!

After a long Head-Fi hiatus, I thought I'd knock my audio setup up a notch and purchase a Schiit Audio Modi / Magni 2 Uber combo to replace my ageing ASUS Xonar STX. So far, I'm *really* enjoying the improvement they've brought about. I'm currently using a pair of Ultrasone PRO 900s, which I think have served me well, the Schiit stack has opened them up slightly, added more detail and brought the highs to life.

I'm now looking to switch from my PRO 900s as I think the mids are a little recessed and maybe the bass isn't quite as refined and as detailed as I'd like.

I'm hugely into my electronic genres, so, trance, progressive/deep house, dubstep, etc. But I also listen to pop, indie, ambient and some classical. I do find the PRO 900s to be plenty boomy in the bass department but I'd perhaps like a little less, I'm moving more towards quality over quantity.

My perfect headphones would be detailed across the board, no recession, fun, punchy, not too harsh on the treble but with perhaps a *little* emphasis on bass, the more detailed and resolved the better.

Budget is £400, just for the headphones. I'm flexible if you really think I should go for something.

Thanks! :)

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 12
Open okay? The HD600 definiely fits into yor price range. It's a very neutral headphone, so you might not call it "fun", but it will have a nice even response, lots of detail, and it works nicely with the M/M2U stack.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 12
You might also look into and read about the closed B&W P7. It has a bit of a bass emphasis and is known for its fun and articulate presentation of electronic music--among other genres. It's definitely worth a look. Good luck!

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 12
+ 1 for HD600. I have Uber stack on the way. Here Monday gonna be a long weekend.

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 12
The first thing that came to my mind was something like the Mad Dogs. Deep bass, smoother mids, detailed, smooth treble (I'm told, never tried them personally). ZMF has similar headphones (awesome T50RP mods). HD6x0's are always a safe bet for natural sounding cans. Phillips X2 gets rave reviews too.

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 12
Wow, thank you for so many fantastic replies!

Isolation is probably the least important thing I care about, so open headphones are most definitely OK.

I've been reading a lot into the HD600s and from what I'm reading, there may be a chance that they'll be a little too relaxed for my liking. The X2s and the P7s sound really interesting, there doesn't seem to be much between them in terms of sound quality, although they apparently have very different sound signatures, I'm leaning towards the P7s 'U' shaped sound, good quality bass and *excellent* treble resolution. I've also read the P7s described as "fun", which fits the bill very nicely!

I'm also reading some really good things about the Alpha Dogs, although they may be out of my price range... are the Mad Dogs a million miles away from the Alphas in terms of sound quality and sound signature?

Cheers again, much appreciated. :D

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 12
HE-400s seem like they might be a good match for you. And yes, after coming from those Ultrasones, you probably would find the HD600s too demure.

HE-400s do a fantastic job at rendering bass for electronic music.

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 12
HE-400s seem like they might be a good match for you. And yes, after coming from those Ultrasones, you probably would find the HD600s too demure.

HE-400s do a fantastic job at rendering bass for electronic music.

Thanks cel4145, could you comment on the 400 vs the 400i? I'm reading that the 400 is a little too bright and would probably be sibilant with the M/M2U stack, which itself, is a little on the bright (bordering neutral) side, speaking from personal experience. I ask because I'm a little sensitive to harsh highs.

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 12
I have not heard the HE-400i. But you can compare the frequency response measurements at Innerfidelity: http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

However, I don't know why the M&M stack would make any headphone sibilant. The M&M stack should measure neutral within the audible range of hearing, so it shouldn't be coloring the frequency response of any headphones. For example, here's a measurement of the 1st generation Magni

Dead neutral. Accurate reproduction of frequency response. In fact, if you look the graphs on that page, the O2 & 1st generation Magni measure exactly the same with the different test tones because they are accurate.

So just a caution not to see your setup as "bright" as a DAC/solid state amp setup. It shouldn't color the sound of the headphones.

May 3, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for clearing that up cel4145, and thanks for your replies guys/gals. I've done a lot of research on your suggestions and came up with the following conclusions:

1. HE-400i - These seem like an excellent suggestion to me, fast, punchy, kinda neutral with maybe a slight emphasis on bass but no overall weak areas. The only problem is that I can't really audition them and they're a tad pricey for me to just go out and blow the money on them without hearing them first.
  2. HD600 - Too relaxed. They seem to have a lot of strengths and are very popular but they're just not for me. There's apparently a veil (like I've heard on the HD650s) and the bass doesn't extend as low as I'd like it to go.
  3. Alpha Dogs - Same situation as the HE-400i, could be an excellent HP for me but I have no way of auditioning them and they'll cost too much to just drop a load of money on them without hearing.

After a lot of research, I ordered the B&W P7s from Amazon and am currently auditioning them, and I'm liking what I hear!

The bass is boomy, well textured and extends very low, it was perhaps a little flabby at first but that seems to be getting better as the HPs are settling (or maybe my brain is burning in), the mids are kinda neutral, not too recessed but they're definitely not overly prominent, the highs are excellent, really detailed and resolved and nowhere near sibilant. The soundstage is excellent for a closed HP, yet they sound intimate. Comfort is average, they're comfortable but tend to get warm for me and the clamping force is a little too strong (although getting better).

I will order a set of X2s today and compare them with the P7s.

I'm also looking into the DT990/600ohm, Oppo PM-3s, Denon MM400s, V100s (probably too overly bassy for my liking, they seem more for bassheads). Any input on any of these would be appreciated! :)

Thanks again.

May 3, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #11 of 12
HD600 - Too relaxed. They seem to have a lot of strengths and are very popular but they're just not for me. There's apparently a veil (like I've heard on the HD650s) and the bass doesn't extend as low as I'd like it to go.

Obligatory: :deadhorse:

But I can see why they might not be a good fit. As I said before, it's a neutral headphone, so it can be hard to call it "fun".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back