For Sale
Currency
USD
Price
May 17, 2015 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

KingLocal

New Head-Fier
*** PRICE REDUCED ***

DUE TO THE STRONG DOLLAR, IT SEEMS THAT THE JAPANESE-SOURCED 009s ARE RELATIVELY CHEAP RIGHT NOW.  I THOUGHT IT WAS BEST THAT I ADJUST MY PRICE TO TAKE THIS INTO ACCOUNT.  I ALREADY LOWERED THE PRICE ON MY AUDIOGON LISTING AND HAVE SEVERAL OFFERS (THOUGH NONE CURRENTLY AT MY NEW FULL ASK; I EXPECT THESE 'CANS TO SELL IN THE NEXT 24-48 HRS.  THANKS AGAIN FOR LOOKING!

Thanks for looking! 

I am selling my full HP rig and, if you are reading this, you already know that is about as good as it gets (short of the 009s and a HeadAmp Blue Hawaii).  Here's an opportunity to to get a full STAX + amp system + significant extras for less than the cost of a new set of 009s alone.  The rig includes: 

STAX SR-009 headspeakers:  These are in good, used condition.  The only item of note: one of the little clips that holds on the headband broke because they are poorly designed and made of cheap plastic.  I sent it to get repaired and they claimed that it was not covered--wear and tear.  Disappointed, I paid for the repair.  HOWEVER, when the second clip broke, I'd had enough and, instead of sending them back again, I paid to have new clips designed (based on the original STAX model) and 3D printed.  The new clips are (slightly) thicker and made of a much stronger material; I've had no problems since.  You can count the new clips against the 'phones as they are not original spec., or for them as they are much better constructed than the originals....  I am just listing the facts here.  The HPs come with their original double-box + wooden display case. 
HeadAmp KGSS amp: This was the last KGSS made by HeadAmp, and,speaking with Justin, he said that the later units had better parts/sound quality than the earlier units.  This is an excellent SS amp that, stock, I know outperforms the STAX SRM-007 and the SRM-007tII, so I've been told.  I've made some small but significant upgrades to the stock unit.  As the real problem with the KGSS was the terrible chassis, I have heavily dampened it with about $70 worth of Dynamat (see pictures).  This has, honestly, transformed the sound--it is like a new amp.  The Dynamat is stick-on, so you can remove it at any time if you like... but you will be very unhappy with the results if you do so.  I also further dampened it with an HRS top-plate ($135).  The HRS has far less impact than the Dynamat, but it's included and does make a small, positive difference.  Finally, I substituted the stock PC with a GTT Audio PC, which is an improvement over stock, with better construction, connectors and sound.  That said, while the GTT is not a giant-killer, and better sound can be had with + $1k PCs, it does make some improvement and the KGSS, with its massively over-built PSU, is surprisingly insensitive to aftermarket cords (they make a difference, but a very small one).  The amp is in very good shape, save for one small ding on the outside-rear corner (see pictures).  I do not have the original box for the amp. 

Custom Hybrid Flight Case: I had a top-shelf Hybrid flight case built to hold the hold rig for transporting it to meets, etc.  The case was $750 to have built and was custom-designed to hold the 'phones, the KGSS, the HRS plate and has two more small pockets for cables, footers, a (small) DAC, etc.  It has some scratches on the protective "balls" at the corners but is otherwise like new--and very nice. 

STAX Headphone stand: The ridiculously overpriced ($135) STAX headphone stand is also included.  While the stand just costs way too much for what it is, I thought it was a nice complement for a STAX system, I hope you agree.  It's like-new and comes with it's original box. 
Feel free to make offers, but I am not really that flexible on price and low-ballers will be politely ignored. I VERY STRONGLY want to sell this rig as a set, as it all works wonderfully and synergistically together, but I will entertain offers for individual components.  

I am pleased to ship anywhere at the buyer's expense, but be forewarned: the flight case is much heavier than it looks, so figure that in.  I will hand deliver for free to any reasonable distance from the Washington, DC metro-area.  I'll take checks (or cash if an in-person transaction); Head-Fi says now PP, which is my generally preferred method, but I am sure we can work around that.

As I said, this is about as good as it gets with headphones; if you have a high-quality source, you will be in HP heaven!  I am only selling because I have decided to go back to a speaker-based system.  Note that while my feedback here is good, if limited, I also sell at A-Gon as "phatboy."

Thanks again for looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread