Full sized headphones that don't break
Mar 13, 2013 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ime1729

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I just broke my headphones by snapping the headband in 2 (I have a Shure SRH840, and it snapped near the extender.) I'm typically a klutz and very heavy handed, so I know that this would happen a nonzero amount of times. Are there any headphones that are more durable in that aspect? I'm eyeing the V Moda M80s as a replacement. Anyone with experience for how those hold up to abuse?

Thanks

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 18
German Maestro 8.35D
http://headfonics.com/2012/03/german-maestro-8-35-d-headphones-surprise-of-the-year/

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 18
wow... The german maestro 8.35d look really nice and i would imagine that the sound is much better than my headphones now, but i couldn't afford it. my budget is $180, or whatever the Shure SRH840 costs on amazon right now.

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:
wow... The german maestro 8.35d look really nice and i would imagine that the sound is much better than my headphones now, but i couldn't afford it. my budget is $180, or whatever the Shure SRH840 costs on amazon right now.

:) I heard the 840 is better from a friend who owns both 8.35D and SRH840.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 18
  :) I heard the 840 is better from a friend who owns both 8.35D and SRH840.

I find that laughable. 

First of all the 840 has like ummm... nooooo bass. Worst headphones I have ever heard bar none. The beyers sound leagues better imo. 

Second of all I have had the dt770 and they broke after a year and a half. The 8.35d is almost as detailed as both with a great midrange and bass that extends pretty far. 

But one thing is for sure. If you layed out all of the headphones in existence out on asphalt and had a car drive over then the German Maestro 8.35 d would have the least pieces scattered and might even survive. Do some research....they are the most durable cans probably ever made ever.  Every review of them can't skip over mentioning their durability. They have literally no weekness for a closed headphone none. Sure others do things better but for the money you can't beat it. You can only come close with an hd25.

I forgot the ops budget sorry for my rant....

I would look for those on sale or from someone who is selling them. When you buy them used even after a year they will be in good condition. 

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 18
man i think i just sold myself another pair. I want them again...
L3000.gif

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 18
Shure SRH 1840 which is made out of metal. 

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 18
when a hp is made out of metal it doesn't mean that it is stronger. but since I haven't had the 1840 I will leave that one alone. Though once you pay that much for a can you baby them so I don't think they are worth mentioning.

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 18
Beyerdynamics all the way very solid construction

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 18
Sony MDR 7506? Have never owned a pair, but hear nothing but good things about their durability.

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #15 of 18
If durability is the main priority I would not go with beyers. Plastic parts that connect the hingest to the headband are made of hard plastic that can break. There are often broken dt770's on ebay that have broken like that. I would rather go with fa-003/hm5 or some of the clones. Plastic parts are soft and can take quite alot bending. Cups might pop of the hinges if headphones are stepped on but permanent damage is unlikely to occur.  Some people have broken the headband when trying to reduce the clamping force but I doubt it can be broken with normal use. Also the pads are more durable than beyer velours. Fa-003 pads can take ALOT of stretching. Perfect pads if one is into pad rolling like I am.  Beyer pads have non flexible plastic material that connects the pads to the headphones. That material doesn't strech and can break easily if pads are removed and put back on many times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back