Full sized headphone recommendations?
Nov 2, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #18 of 24
Ah I see now, well dang I wish I had 400 dollars to drop on headphones.  Has anyone here listened to the Ultrasone Pro 900's?

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
If you liked the SE425 - but want better bass and top end, I'd go straight to the DT880 or the HD600.

For the record, I also had the SE425's for quite a while.

All IMO - from actually hearing them .....
DT880 mids aren't quite as forward.  The bass is extended, defined, punchy and fast.  Highs have quite a bit of sparkle and are very detailed.  Soundstage is quite good, pretty accurate, but not excessively wide or deep.  Responds really well to tubes, and helps bring the mid-range out a little.  Very slightly U shaped.

HD600 in comparison has wonderful mids, but lighter bass than the DT880, not quite as extended, but still pretty well defined.  The highs aren't as shimmery/sparkly, and not quite as detailed - but still nice and bright.  Again responds really well to tubes.  HD600 slightly more relaxed sound than the DT880.

Both are really comfortable cans to wear.  The HD600 can be a bit clampy at first - but over time it seems to relax a bit.  Both are quite neutral (not overemphasised anywhere in the spectrum).

Both need amping.

On some of the other suggestions ...... DT990 can be a fun can for Rock - remind me quite a bit of the TF10 - but definitely quite U/V shaped.  Mids are not their strongpoint and take a back seat.  I haven't spent any time with the new HD650 - but found the older ones were a little too bassy for my tastes and didn't have enough top end.  Newer HD650's may have solved this.  Great cans nevertheless - I just preferred the HD600.

Although the grados are supra-aural, I love their sound.  If you want to dip your toes in the water for very little money, order an Alessandro MS1i online - about USD 100 delivered.  It's fantastic value!  You can change things a lot with modding and they are a great complimentary can if you plan to permanently have a couple of headphones eventually.  I've now given mine a full woody along with a few other mods - and I now have 2 perfectly complimentary cans (MS1i and HD600).

If you want to try the DT880 first - give Jaben a call - ask for Josh - and see if he'd be prepared to lend you a demo set of DT880 Pros to try.  He was really good with me and I ended up buying them.  For the HD600, keep an eye on the FS forum.

If you have any more questions specifically about the DT880, HD600, or MS1i, PM me.

I think I'm going for the DT880 now. I'm going to audition the cans first so we'll see how it turns up.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
The Beyers looks awesome right now. How is their overall SQ compared to the Shure SRH840? Is it like night and day?

First up - I'm assuming you talking DT880 vs SRH840 - yes?

I've owned both, and spent plenty of time with both - and still rate both very highly.

• Price - obviously the SRH840 - incredible value for money.
  • Comfort - the Beyers - comfiest can I've ever worn.
  • Build quality - both pretty good, but the Beyers are better.
  • Soundstage - Beyers by a considerable margin - remember you are comparing open and closed cans though.
  • Clarity and separation.  While both are very good IMO - the Beyer is again better by a considerable margin - it has wonderful extension both ways.  DT880 is very detailed.
  • Overall signature: - both balanced but ......
    SRH 840 has mids more forward, and has a bit of a mid-bass hump (which can get a little loose/boomy for some tracks) - not as extended either high or low.
    DT880 has very slightly U shape, with small emphasis on both low and high end, wonderful extension.  Can sound a little dry at times - wonderful with tubes.
  • Amplification (assuming you getting either 250 ohm or 600 ohm DT880)
    Shure doesn't need amping - but does benefit from it.  Can be run straight out of an ipod.
    DT880 needs decent amping - without it they sound lifeless and flat

Hope this helps.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
I think I'm going for the DT880 now. I'm going to audition the cans first so we'll see how it turns up.

Nik - you'll definitely need an amp.  The DT880 needs the power.  Also - if they give you a reasonably newish demo unit, make sure you give them time to burn in.  I was never a believer in burn in until I got my DT880.  I didn't use pink noise or stuff them in a drawer or anything like that either - I just used them.  After the 'honeymoon' period wore off - I wasn't overly impressed after a couple of days - but grew to love them more and more as I spent more time with them.  After a couple of weeks - I felt that the sound changed.  It could have been placebo, or me burning in - but the thing I noticed was extension (both ends).  YMMV.

If you're contacting Josh (Jaben) to organise a demo/trial version, talk to him about amping.  If you wnat a cheap but very good desktop amp, the Audio-gd NFB-12 is really good.  The warmish tone helps the DT880 (and my HD600) as well.  But Josh can give you a few ideas from the stock he has.  Beware if he gives you a PortaTube to try - it is addicting - especially with the DT880s!  I was part of the demo program for that and after a week bought it.  Still paying it off - but worth it.

Good luck - I think you'll enjoy them.

And when you can afford it, don't forget my tiop ont he MS1is - they are a real blast, and fantastic value for money
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
First up - I'm assuming you talking DT880 vs SRH840 - yes?

I've owned both, and spent plenty of time with both - and still rate both very highly.

• Price - obviously the SRH840 - incredible value for money.
  • Comfort - the Beyers - comfiest can I've ever worn.
  • Build quality - both pretty good, but the Beyers are better.
  • Soundstage - Beyers by a considerable margin - remember you are comparing open and closed cans though.
  • Clarity and separation.  While both are very good IMO - the Beyer is again better by a considerable margin - it has wonderful extension both ways.  DT880 is very detailed.
  • Overall signature: - both balanced but ......
    SRH 840 has mids more forward, and has a bit of a mid-bass hump (which can get a little loose/boomy for some tracks) - not as extended either high or low.
    DT880 has very slightly U shape, with small emphasis on both low and high end, wonderful extension.  Can sound a little dry at times - wonderful with tubes.
  • Amplification (assuming you getting either 250 ohm or 600 ohm DT880)
    Shure doesn't need amping - but does benefit from it.  Can be run straight out of an ipod.
    DT880 needs decent amping - without it they sound lifeless and flat

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Nik - you'll definitely need an amp.  The DT880 needs the power.  Also - if they give you a reasonably newish demo unit, make sure you give them time to burn in.  I was never a believer in burn in until I got my DT880.  I didn't use pink noise or stuff them in a drawer or anything like that either - I just used them.  After the 'honeymoon' period wore off - I wasn't overly impressed after a couple of days - but grew to love them more and more as I spent more time with them.  After a couple of weeks - I felt that the sound changed.  It could have been placebo, or me burning in - but the thing I noticed was extension (both ends).  YMMV.

If you're contacting Josh (Jaben) to organise a demo/trial version, talk to him about amping.  If you wnat a cheap but very good desktop amp, the Audio-gd NFB-12 is really good.  The warmish tone helps the DT880 (and my HD600) as well.  But Josh can give you a few ideas from the stock he has.  Beware if he gives you a PortaTube to try - it is addicting - especially with the DT880s!  I was part of the demo program for that and after a week bought it.  Still paying it off - but worth it.

Good luck - I think you'll enjoy them.

And when you can afford it, don't forget my tiop ont he MS1is - they are a real blast, and fantastic value for money
wink.gif

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
The Beyers looks awesome right now. How is their overall SQ compared to the Shure SRH840? Is it like night and day?

I think the DT880 is smoother, more detailed, more accurate, has a better soundstage, and is way more comfortable.

With that said, I think that the 840 is a very good sounding closed headphone overall for the street price.

(I've owned the SR840 (sold), and still own the DT880 (250 ohm 2005 Version) - I can't imagine ever selling them.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back