full size with great mids for around 200
Dec 12, 2010 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

lazyredhead

100+ Head-Fier
looking for headphones with great mids, prefer then to be some what portable and closed back
mostly listen to alternative metal/rock, progressive metal as well and some punk
i'd like them to be easy to drive as well. if not by an ipod classic at least by a fiio E5

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 17
I think the AKG K271's are a great mid-centric headphone. They don't have much in the bass department, but they are very pleasant to listen to overall and they do well with most genres.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 17
I'd suggest looking into the KRK KNS-8400. They're extremely comfortable, small and easily driven. They do need lots of burn in and out of the box they're too bright, but it gets better. They'd be perfect for classical and metal. The mids are very good but they are kind of bass light, but not too bad. I actually now prefer them over my SRH-840. If you don't like a bright sounding headphone, I'd skip them. The sound is now at least not fatiguing, but others may not agree. These are perhaps the most detailed headphone I've heard.

They're $150 and probably can be tried out at any Guitar Center if you have one in your area.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
I think the AKG K271's are a great mid-centric headphone. They don't have much in the bass department, but they are very pleasant to listen to overall and they do well with most genres.

Or you can get the semi-open counterpart; the K240's.
I know you want closed, but just throwing it out there, in case you ever change your mind. :)

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 17
K271 is a good suggestion. For a portable option I also feel that a used ESW9 would be a good choice.

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
I'd suggest looking into the KRK KNS-8400. They're extremely comfortable, small and easily driven. They do need lots of burn in and out of the box they're too bright, but it gets better. They'd be perfect for classical and metal. The mids are very good but they are kind of bass light, but not too bad. I actually now prefer them over my SRH-840. If you don't like a bright sounding headphone, I'd skip them. The sound is now at least not fatiguing, but others may not agree. These are perhaps the most detailed headphone I've heard.

They're $150 and probably can be tried out at any Guitar Center if you have one in your area.

KRK, I saw some adverts and the pricing seemed reasonable. I would not need them though. 2 portable headphones and three standard listening headphones is more than enough for now. 

Right now I am pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of the AKG K181 DJ and the bass boost is effective for electronic music. Even better, it is so easy to drive. Also the mids are quite good, not DF-good but good non the less.    

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 17
M50 has Great(ly recessed) Mids. Get those! Sorry, I'm kidding. Don't hurt me!
normal_smile%20.gif

I bet the mids are better on the new white 2010 version compared to the old black boxed version that I had.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
I was just suggesting them as a solid closed back performer. What about SRH840? I don't know much about them.

M50s are good, but most people may think I hate them. I just need better mids and that's why I sold mine. Definitely not worth anywhere near $140 or whatever they are now.

SRH-840 is a good headphone and it was once my #1 favorite. At one point I felt there would be NO headphone under $200 unamped that sounded better. Turns out there is.
Of course it all goes by preferences. Many people won't like the SRH-840's signature and would prefer the M50.

Until I got my KRK KNS-8400 I never realized how laid back the Shure SRH-840 is. It seems to be good for listening to for very long hours due to it's non fatiguing signature. I can now understand how many may find them boring. Of course nothing as laid back as say my old HD-600, but pretty close.

Best thing about the SRH-840 is that they're quite neutral but still fun enough for most music. I don't find them all that boring myself. They have some good mids. They're very, very good for female vocals I've found. Some silly people on here think they're bass light. Maybe compared to a bass heavy headphone like the M50, DT-990, D2000 or XB500! Bass light to me is more like the AD700.

The highs on the SRH-840 are kind of rolled off, but not too badly. If the music is normally very bright to begin with, it's going to be that way on the SRH-840. I still think that the 840 may still be a poor choice for metal, classical or bass heavy music. I think most electronic music, unless very bass heavy will be just fine.

SRH-840 offers a lot of detail, but nowhere near as much as my DJ100 or 8400. That's OK with me.

My new 840's finally fit my head, but they're still terrible awkward to wear and uncomfortable. They're also very heavy. There is absolutely no point in making the SRH-840 so huge! The only reason I would keep my 840 over my 8400 is because it has more bass and that's ALL.

Still a good headphone, but they're not worth more than $160. $200 for the 840 is crazy.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 17
Heavy? Getting used to weight is easier to get used to than discomfort in my experience...

If you want to take it easy a PX200 II is one of the best portables I can think of. I am curious for that KRK though... What about the 6400?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back