Full-size vs. Portable
Nov 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Daft_Luvr_94

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, guys. Christmas is coming up, and I'm still trying to decide which headphones to buy. I was wondering, does anyone here listen to full-size 'phones on the go? Can this be a problem? When I look for headphones that are listed as 'portable' by the manufacturer, it really limits my selection. My question is, does the term 'full-size' mean you shouldn't consider them portable by any means?

Nov 29, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 33
Full-size is certainly wear-able, but you're definitely going to be going closed and easily driven.
And it really depends, some "full-size" cans are bigger than others, after all.

Nov 29, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 33
Some full size phones can not be properly driven by portable DAPs like iPods, etc. You may not even be able to reach a enjoyable listening volume without the use of a portable headphone amp. Generally low impedance phones (like ~30 ohm) work with DAPs just fine, from what I understand.

Phones marketed as portable are generally optimized for playback on such devices and therefore do not need an amp (although they can benefit from one).

Nov 29, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 33
Full-size cans usually have unwieldy cords (long and thick). There are certainly different sizes of full-size cans. The larger ones can't exactly be hung around your neck when not in use, which is something I do often with portables. There are full-size cans that are fairly portable, like the M-Audio Q40, though.

Used this setup on the go last week and it was a bit of a pain:

hadx3setupside.jpg

Nov 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daft_Luvr_94 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, guys. Christmas is coming up, and I'm still trying to decide which headphones to buy. I was wondering, does anyone here listen to full-size 'phones on the go? Can this be a problem? When I look for headphones that are listed as 'portable' by the manufacturer, it really limits my selection. My question is, does the term 'full-size' mean you shouldn't consider them portable by any means?

No, the term "full-size" doesn't necessarily mean that you shouldn't consider them portable at all. However as others have said, there are a number of issues you may run into if you use a full-size can in a portable setup.

That being said, have you considered iems? If you really want portable, those are your best bet. Moreover, it's a great time to be buying them as there are so many competent choices, even for lower budgets.

Nov 29, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 33
In London portable means full size headphones connected to ipod, out of London you might want something a bit smaller lighter and less silly!

It is how comfortable you feel with it, personally I feel like a t**t in the middle of peterborough with a pair of full size cans on. But i'm sure they will sound great!

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 33
I've worn all my Grados everywhere, including a trip to the grocery store in my GS-1000 (that got some looks). I agree with the comment that the cords can get bulky. I decided to invest in earphones after an extended trip when my big open cans not only felt like luggage but lost much of their zest to the rumble of the vehicle I was in. In certain situations, small phones with good isolation are the best choice.

Nov 30, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 33
@ljokerl--those DX3s are pretty.
tongue_smile.gif
I would totally wear them around. Me-->
atsmile.gif
I like your wristband, too! (lol)

@Bilavideo--GS-1000s in public?! I wish I could have seen their faces. "I'm an audiophile, and proud of it!" lol

Nov 30, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Full-size is certainly wear-able, but you're definitely going to be going closed and easily driven.
And it really depends, some "full-size" cans are bigger than others, after all.

>
frown.gif
WHICH IS IT (lol)

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daft_Luvr_94 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
>
frown.gif
WHICH IS IT (lol)

:O I contradicted myself!
I meant that size varies, even among "full-size".
Like this
06%2007%202006sennheiser_hd-25.jpg

is certainly more portable than what joker posted up there.

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
:O I contradicted myself!
I meant that size varies, even among "full-size".
Like this
http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...iser_hd-25.jpg
is certainly more portable than what joker posted up there.

The HD25 aren't full-size - they're supraaural. I use them all the time and they're no bother at all.

The point stands though - there are full-size cans that are more friendly to being taken around - the Shure SRH*40, M-Audio Q40, ATH-M50, Equation RP-21 etc.

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 33
I meant that what manaox2 said (around-ear aren't portable) had contradicted what you said, halftrack (that some full-size are portable). Sorry for the confusion, lol.

What do you guys think about the AT ESW9s? Would they sound okay un-amped? (I mainly listen to electronic and rock) Also, can I find them <$150?

ljokerl, you also mentioned some Equation RP-21s. What about the RP-22X?

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 33
Over the ear or around the ear is IMO to bulky to use as a truly portable. Plus it brings way too much attention by others (including thieves) besides they do not isolate that well. Have you given any consideration to buds like the Yuin PK1, OK1, or OK2?

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #15 of 33
IEMs aren't going to work for me. I'd rather have something around my ear than inside it (sounds like a lot of people feel this way). I also don't mind walking around with headphones on, as long as they're not too outlandish. 'Phones that I can wear around my neck when not in use would be great, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back