Full size Headphones Recommendations
Apr 26, 2015 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dpeticca

New Head-Fier
Hey folks, I'm a complete newbie.  I purchased a set of Bose QC 25's at Target 10 days ago, since then, I've bought some Grado SR60e's and Audio Technica ESW9 headphones.  The quiet comfort sound good, but not Hifi.  The noise canceling is worth the price though, I've got 3 kids and it can sound like a circus some times.  Realizing that the QC headphones were not really optimized for best sound, but for a variety of things including comfort, noise canceling etc.., I purchased some Grado's and some Audio Technicas.  I was going to buy a more expensive set of Grado's but thought to start at the bottom and work my way up.  

I'm shocked at the qualify of the Grado's.  The Audio Technicas are good too, I burned them in and they sound warmer for sure.

Can I get something that is closed that sounds like the Grado's?  I realize it may sound crazy.  The Grado sound is my speed.   Just wondering if there's anything that sounds similar in a full size ...  After listening to all 3 headphones, here are the qualities I prize:

- Over the Ear
- Closed
- Sounds like the Grado SR60e 

Thanks in advance!
~Dom

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Right now... Macbook Air and iPad - Spotify Premium

I have some content in iTunes that are Lossless, everything else else is 320kpbs MP3.

Full size headphones intend to hook into a Peachtree Decco dac/amp with headphone out.

Budget is maybe 350$ USD... enough for HD600/650, DT880, K701... or something in that price category.

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 8
Can I get something that is closed that sounds like the Grado's?  I realize it may sound crazy.  The Grado sound is my speed. . . .

I think that's a unicorn. I've been part of discussions before where people say they can't find that closed headphone replacement that sounds like a Grado.

But you might try asking in the Grado Fan Club thread and see if people have found anything :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 8

Can I get something that is closed that sounds like the Grado's?  I realize it may sound crazy.  The Grado sound is my speed. . . .

I think that's a unicorn. I've been part of discussions before where people say they can't find that closed headphone replacement that sounds like a Grado.

But you might try asking in the Grado Fan Club thread and see if people have found anything
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club

It wasn't a unicorn a couple of years ago.  Now, it is.  The old Denon D2000/D5000/D7000 were very much like closed Grados.

EDIT: Of course, there's the Bushmills Grado.  That really is a closed Grado.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 8
It wasn't a unicorn a couple of years ago.  Now, it is.  The old Denon D2000/D5000/D7000 were very much like closed Grados.

EDIT: Of course, there's the Bushmills Grado.  That really is a closed Grado.

Denons are not similar to Grados.

The closest I've gotten to a closed Grado sound is the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. unfortunately it's an on ear solution rather than over.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #8 of 8
The closest I've gotten to a closed Grado sound is the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. unfortunately it's an on ear solution rather than over.

For me it was the Beyer DT1350s. But close in the sense of Illinois is close to Michigan, not Manhattan is close to Brooklyn :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back