Full size headphones direct from small players, are any a good option?
Apr 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #16 of 24
Thank you everybody for your input.  I think I'm leaning towards Grados, mostly because I'll have access to listen to sample pairs first.  I'll also have a chance to test Sennheiser HD25-1's.  I like the ideas for the M50s and the Phiaton MS 400, but for my first significant purchase of headphones, I'd like not go in as blind..

BTW, I did build a cmoy amp, with my brother, a few years ago.  And I'm getting an Apogee Duet soon as well  So, I'll be listening amped sometimes...

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #21 of 24
i was just listening to my ipod with my Shure SRH440s for the first time, and wow! It sounded great. Really robust and muscular. Such a change after listening to the ipod with my Grado SR80s for 2 years.

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #22 of 24
Well, I tried a friend's HD-25 ii's and loved them.  I ordered a pair (The Originals Adidas edition) thinking they'd be good for travel, playing bass, and when walking the dogs.

I'm still getting a pair of Grados.  But I'm holding out for a good used pair of 325s or RS-2s.  Those will be for home use only, figuring they wouldn't do well outside.

Just the beginning of spending too much on gear I guess...

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #23 of 24
I hate how expensive Grados get as they scale up... I feel that there a lot more reasonable competitors in the price range once you start looking at RS-2 and up.

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #24 of 24
I hate how expensive Grados get as they scale up... I feel that there a lot more reasonable competitors in the price range once you start looking at RS-2 and up.

To be fair, once you get at that price range you probably wouldn't be looking for a pair of headphones for portable DAPs sides maybe an IEM. That said, that's why most people tend to stick with the lower end grados and mod them to suit their needs (least this is what I've observed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back