Full size headphones direct from small players, are any a good option?
Apr 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ButtUglyJeff

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm a noob so please be kind.  I've searched but with little luck for my question.

I like full size cans for comfort, but fear they need more then what my iPod Touch can send to a set.  I understand a headphone amp would help with that.  But to be honest, I would most often be too lazy to carry one.  I listen to too many genres of music to mention, but rock is dominant.  I've spent too much time at sites of manufacturers like Grado, AKG, Shure, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, etc.  And I've managed to just confuse myself...

So I come here seeking opinions.  What have you all had the greatest success with, headphone to mp3 player, and headphone to laptop with?  And don't be afraid to talk down to me, it won't hurt my feelings.....
redface.gif

Thanks.

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 24
Goldring ns1000 they have an inbuilt noise cancelling which takes 1x aaa batt which also acts like an amplifier.
They are ideal for your needs and some say sound better than most headphones even twice their price.

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 24
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry for your wallet...

May I add the PX200 II to the possibilities? No amplifier required, decent isolation with very pleasant sound.

I prefer full size but for this little thing I had to make an exception.

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 24

Quote:
If you like rock get Grado.

/end thread

But Grado up to what?  I know I didn't mention budget, but I plan on paying a few hundred.  And could be talked up a touch more.  I know The SR60i would be fine, but what about the SR325si?  I guess I'm struggling to figure out how far up the scale is too far...

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 24
Maybe you should try the m50s, they are a great all rounder headphone, and easy to drive

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry for your wallet...

May I add the PX200 II to the possibilities? No amplifier required, decent isolation with very pleasant sound.

I prefer full size but for this little thing I had to make an exception.

I was looking at something similar from AKG, either the K450 or the Q460.  Since they are iPhone compatable, I figured they'd be fine straight out.  But I think I'd also prefer full size too...

Apr 4, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 24
Grado isn't the only option.

Phiatons drive really easily (the MS400, anyway), and sound great with a variety of music.  They also isolate well.

The HFI series of Ultrasones seem to drive nicely to me, and offer a very interesting sound.  If you don't mind strong treble, the HFI-780 makes a great all-rounder.

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #12 of 24
I have to also recommend Grado. I have the SR-80i and have modded them a bit, they sounded great out of the box, even better after burn in and better yet after every mod. They are GREAT for rock, very forward mids, very rock friendly sound. I love them, and they are 32 ohm, very easily driven by my Fuze, Clip+ or iPod Classic without much trouble. You can't really go wrong anywhere down the line. Some think modded SR-60is can beat out cans much higher up the Grado chain, like the 325i or the RS1. No matter if you get the SR-60i or something a bit further up the line, out of the box, you'll be totally amazed, just like I was.

An inexpensive amp would help a lot, even with low impedance cans. You could nab something like the Fiio E5 or E7, PA2V2 or even a DIY cMoy (a fun project as well as an amp!). Even if you don't ALWAYS carry it around, the times you remember will be extra awesome! And I have a silicone case on my iPod with a little belt loop deal, I clip the E5 on there and it's just always there are ready to go, I don't even have to remember it.

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #13 of 24
id recommend the shure srh-440.best bang for the buck headphones around a hundred dollars.they sound great out of a portable,very well built plus the cord is detacheable.better than the grados in my opinion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back