++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #29,133 of 29,490
How would you compare the AD900X to the HD598 sir?

So I've now owned the AD900X and the AD700. I will likely own the AD2000X at some point in the future. The reason? As far as I can tell, the AD has an entirely addictive openness to its top end. Of course the HD line is considered "veiled" by many. I never found it an issue but the top end is nothing like the ADs. Bottom is more defined on the 900X but quantity is near identical. Mids are more forward on the 598, but I would say that sounds to me like a slight hump rather than the 900X being recessed. Think of the 900X as an HDR photo if you know what those are causing the presentation to sound almost exaggerated and surreal at times. The 598 is very natural sounding to me but comes off as "boring" in comparison. Because of it's supernatural quality, soundstage on the 900X can sometimes seem weird... Particular on small acoustical groups... It sometimes sounds as though the various instrumentalists were very far apart from each other. Again, the soundstage of the 598 is natural to the point of subdued. In summary, If the 598 were HDTV, then the 900X is like some super HDTV to the point where it might seem too vibrant and unnatural to some.

May 27, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #29,134 of 29,490
Would I buy the ultrasone 780's, the beyer custom one pros, the m50's, or the Logitech ue 6000. I listen mainly to rap. Please help.

Can't comment on the other two, but I prefer the 780s to the M50s. More engaging soundstage and a little more bass impact to me.

May 27, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #29,135 of 29,490
Would I buy the ultrasone 780's, the beyer custom one pros, the m50's, or the Logitech ue 6000. I listen mainly to rap. Please help.

Can't comment on the other two, but I prefer the 780s to the M50s. More engaging soundstage and a little more bass impact to me.
+1 on the HFI-780's, a great choice.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #29,136 of 29,490
Hey, looking for a pair of headphones to get for my dad since he has just been using cheap junk forever. He listens to stuff like Pink Floyd, Genesis and Moody Blues (basically the alternative rocks of the 70s/80s) and some modern stuff like Muse.  I don't honestly know what kind of sound signature to look for since I'm sure he'd have no idea whether he likes mids more than treble or bass or what have you.  I don't want to get him something that's overly large/flashy since I don't think he'd like it (something more "discreet" would be better I suppose) and I don't think he'd like completely open headphones either, but again it's hard to say.  I plan to get these as a gift so I don't really want to ask him too many questions since he'll probably figure out my idea.

Looking to spend probably under $100 since I don't think he'd want something he knows is expensive (you might be noticing a theme here).  I was thinking maybe the MDR-V6s as a kind of safe choice, since even if he doesn't like them he could probably give me an idea of where to go from there and I could keep them for myself.  :D

MDR-V6 or even better, MDR-7506

May 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #29,139 of 29,490
Currently, all I have is my hisoundaudio N1, but I am either getting a fiio e12, or JDS labs c5.

Good. Have you checked the battle of the flagships reviews? Very good descriptions of many of the top headphones, and it looks like you will have the amplification to drive most of them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13

May 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #29,140 of 29,490
Quote:
Good. Have you checked the battle of the flagships reviews? Very good descriptions of many of the top headphones, and it looks like you will have the amplification to drive most of them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13

Wow! Thanks for the link! This thread looks awesome. I better get reading.

May 27, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #29,141 of 29,490
Hey guys, newbie right here but have lurked around more than a couple of times. I wonder if I could get your recommendations to buy my next set of headphones. Recently, I've broken my ATH-M50s from throwing them around for the last few years. I travel around quite a bit (usually in a 16 passenger van), since I'm in college and I play a sport. I'm looking for something in the <$200 zone and want an upgrade from my M50s. They were good, but my ears yearn for something better. I've looked around and a few of the ones I want to purchase are the Shure SRH 840s, M-Audio Q40s, Ultrasone 780s, and the AKG K550s. I will mostly be using an Ipod touch, so I need something easy to drive.

As for my preferences, I listen to a lot of old school soul and r&b, along with some hip hop and little bit of country, rock, and dubstep. I prefer a smooth sounding pair of cans and really don't care too much for the bass. Sound stage is of some importance but as long as they don't sound crammed up on my ears, I will be fine. I'm also not too keen on really bright or cold sounding cans either.

Thanks for taking out the time to help me out!

May 28, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #29,142 of 29,490
I'm a basshead. I love bass. I mainly listen to dubstep, EDM, House, Drum and Bass, etc.
I need a new pair of headphones, I recently broke my only pair which were hesh 2.0 by skullcandy.
I'm considering the HA-M55X Xtreme Xplosive headphones by JVC. Either those, or the Sony MDR-XB500.
Needs to be under 70. Thank you. Please keep in mind I need an extreme bass response.

May 28, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #29,144 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm a basshead. I love bass. I mainly listen to dubstep, EDM, House, Drum and Bass, etc.
I need a new pair of headphones, I recently broke my only pair which were hesh 2.0 by skullcandy.
I'm considering the HA-M55X Xtreme Xplosive headphones by JVC. Either those, or the Sony MDR-XB500.
Needs to be under 70. Thank you. Please keep in mind I need an extreme bass response.

The JVC HA-S500s. These things have amazing bass, and are very detailed. I actually consider them to have too much bass for dubstep (I'm a neutral headphone guy), but people laugh at me whenever I tell them that
tongue.gif

May 28, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #29,145 of 29,490
Hello, I'm not very experienced with audio equipment, so I would like some help picking out new headphones.

I am looking for over the ear headphones to use with my new gaming computer. I'll be using it with Realtek HD Audio for now, but I may purchase a sound card later.
I would prefer to get an Open one, but Closed headphones would be fine if it's for a good price and good quality.
I am planning on spending around $100, maybe a little more.
They will mostly be used for gaming, but I also want it to have good bass for my music.

After doing a little reading, I thought the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 looked perfect for my needs, but the color of the headphones seems a little odd. I'd prefer something black, or some other dark color. Are there any other headphones similar to these but available in a different color?

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back