++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #28,111 of 29,490
Quote:
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with many of the headphones you mention.  I use the HA-S400 often, mainly as a portable headphone.  (I keep it in my backpack.)  You may also consider the Beyerdynamic DT-235 which may be a little more comfortable.  (Remember, however, that comfort is a very subjective thing.)  The DT-235, however, has a long cable and is less efficient than the HA-S400.  All considered, it seems that you may want to try the HA-S400; it is priced lower than almost all your other choices, it is knows for its transient speed and good dynamic contrast (which should help with IDM), and it is portable.  You strategy may be to get it and decide whether to complement it later with something more substantial but less portable (like a CAL!).

Thank you for your advice. I am definitely leaning toward the HA-S400 at this point, just want to make sure they would fit on my head. I have a narrower than average head I think.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "CAL"?

May 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #28,112 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with many of the headphones you mention.  I use the HA-S400 often, mainly as a portable headphone.  (I keep it in my backpack.)  You may also consider the Beyerdynamic DT-235 which may be a little more comfortable.  (Remember, however, that comfort is a very subjective thing.)  The DT-235, however, has a long cable and is less efficient than the HA-S400.  All considered, it seems that you may want to try the HA-S400; it is priced lower than almost all your other choices, it is knows for its transient speed and good dynamic contrast (which should help with IDM), and it is portable.  You strategy may be to get it and decide whether to complement it later with something more substantial but less portable (like a CAL!).

Thank you for your advice. I am definitely leaning toward the HA-S400 at this point, just want to make sure they would fit on my head. I have a narrower than average head I think.

It is the Creative Aurvana Live!  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

May 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #28,113 of 29,490
Quote:

CAL! is the Creative Aurvana Live! closed headphone.  I suggest that you look it up; there is a nice description of it and its sound at innerfidelity.com (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate). Its price is now in the $70 range at Amazon---about three times the price of the HA-S400 there.  My impression, by the way, is that the HA-S400 would fit on a slightly narrow head, because it clamps fairly tightly; of course, there is no substitute for actually trying a headphone.

May 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #28,114 of 29,490
Hello All,

I'd like some thoughts on a pair of 'phones before I buy. The JBL TMG81 is the set in question.  I've read elsewhere that these are similar or identical to the AKG K520.  Anyone know if this is true?  These will be used with an iPhone, w/o an amp, for jazz, downbeat, and lounge music listening. 

Thank You for your response(s)!

May 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #28,115 of 29,490
Quote:
CAL! is the Creative Aurvana Live! closed headphone.  I suggest that you look it up; there is a nice description of it and its sound at innerfidelity.com (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate). Its price is now in the $70 range at Amazon---about three times the price of the HA-S400 there.  My impression, by the way, is that the HA-S400 would fit on a slightly narrow head, because it clamps fairly tightly; of course, there is no substitute for actually trying a headphone.

Thanks for the info, I like the sound of those 'CAL' headphones!

May 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #28,116 of 29,490
I can't decide whether to keep the Amperior headphones or not. It all comes down to sound quality. Is this the best sound quality for 200 dollar headphones I can get, or are there more comfortable headphones for the same price with better sound quality that are also iPod driven? Can I get a better sound stage for 200 dollars?

May 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #28,117 of 29,490
Ok, after some more research into what I should buy for home theater/gaming cans I've got it narrowed down to the Sony MA900 ($185), Sennheiser HD 558 ($110), and Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Pro 250ohm ($185). I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm probably going to end up buying a cheap DAC/Amp combo anyway (something like a Fiio E10) so being able to drive the Beyer's is less of a concern now. Again, my primary concern is comfort above all else. I want to be able to wear these all day, with my glasses on, and not be bothered by their presence. Being that this pair will see mostly home theater/gaming use soundstage is very important as well. Beyond that I'm mostly looking for a clear and fairly balanced pair of headphones, perhaps with a little extra kick in the low-end (insofar as an open can is capable of delivering).

May 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #28,118 of 29,490
Ok, after some more research into what I should buy for home theater/gaming cans I've got it narrowed down to the Sony MA900 ($185), Sennheiser HD 558 ($110), and Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Pro 250ohm ($185). I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm probably going to end up buying a cheap DAC/Amp combo anyway (something like a Fiio E10) so being able to drive the Beyer's is less of a concern now. Again, my primary concern is comfort above all else. I want to be able to wear these all day, with my glasses on, and not be bothered by their presence. Being that this pair will see mostly home theater/gaming use soundstage is very important as well. Beyond that I'm mostly looking for a clear and fairly balanced pair of headphones, perhaps with a little extra kick in the low-end (insofar as an open can is capable of delivering).

I would also consider the audio tecnica ad 700 and 900 range. Excellent for gaming and amazing soundstage.

May not be bass heavy but for gaming you don't really want overwhelming bass anyway.

May 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #28,119 of 29,490
Quote:
I would also consider the audio tecnica ad 700 and 900 range. Excellent for gaming and amazing soundstage.

May not be bass heavy but for gaming you don't really want overwhelming bass anyway.

Was considering the 900 in my earlier post. I've ruled both out, as well as the AD900X, because it seems I'd enjoy the MA900 more than either of them. Really I feel like it's between the MA900 and the DT 990, I've left the HD 558 up for consideration simply because I can get one for so cheap. And I'm certainly not looking for overwhelming bass, but since these are for movies and games I'd like them to have some punch in the low end; I really wouldn't expect overpowering bass from any open headphone anyway. I should add I don't do a lot of competitive gaming, mostly single player stuff. I'm more concerned with enjoying the sound design than anything else.

May 4, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #28,120 of 29,490
What is your budget?

$100-$250 If its worth the money, and I enjoy it I'll probably buy it.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

No, closed cans definitely

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

my desktop using integrated sound from the motherboard. Might get an amp but I don't know very much about them.

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

320kbps MP3s and FLAC.

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

I listen to almost anything really, electronic, pop, R&B, and rock. I do enjoy my bass. I wouldn't mind a bassy headphone that has a great amount of bass and sub-bass. However if this comes at the expense of the rest of the sound spectrum then I will not bother, for instance the Pro700Mk2.
I have heard the the Logitech UE6000 is quite good for what I am looking for. However I am unsure whether it has the amount of bass I am looking for.
I then was considering the Ultrasone Pro 900, even thought I had bought it at one stage (was a scam), it sounded like it had a great low end section that didn't really disturb the mids and highs at all.

I also heard about the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's which have the adjustable bass ports. I thought that would be quite neat to have, but it has become apparent that the bass is quite bloated and in no one refined.
I have seen reviews on the M100 as well, but the only issue there is the price tag.

I have been on the hunt for my first real mid-fi pair of headphones for so long now. I need it to come to an end! I cannot really audition any of these headphones as I live in New Zealand which does not offer the amount of variety of stores other countries may have. I know because that this will be my first pair of real headphones, that anything I buy I will love, but I want to make sure that the ones I buy are truly good nonetheless.

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

I do plan to use them outside my home, but not too often, they'll be mostly indoor use. Outside of home they would be powered with the Google Nexus 4 or an ipod touch.  I don't know much about amps so if there are any suggestions I'll consider them. Portable use isn't much of a huge issue. Although if it is foldable etc. that comes at a bonus.

Thank you for any help given!

May 4, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #28,121 of 29,490
Any answers would be appreciated. Repeating as no one saw my first message.

I want to buy a good pair of closed headphones that will sound good without the use of amps and be comfortable to wear for a few hours at a time if needs be. The headphones will be used for listening to many genres including most types of rock (but nothing to heavy such as Death metal), Jazz, Blues, Country, folk and so on.

I will also use the headphones for listening to nature recordings e.g. waterfalls, rivers and birdsong in particular. For birdsong it would be nice to be able to hear all the many sounds from different birds which often happen almost at once and also have a good sense of where the sound is coming from if at all possible. E.g close, far, above, below, left, right. 

So far the SoundMagic HP 100's seem like they fit the bill for most things perfectly. I was looking at a few other headphones including the AKG K550 which is just about too expensive and it looked like it didn't fit everyone perfectly.

The thing I am most unsure of is how the nature recordings will sound. Can anyone give me advice on whether these headphones will be good for me or perhaps even something else instead.

Here is a short 3 minute clip you could use for reference for the nature recordings (I own the full album of this one). The sounds change dramatically over the 3 mins so if anyone does use it please listen to the whole thing before telling me advice on what headphone to get.
https://soundcloud.com/listeningearth/native-birdsong-of-new-zealand

May 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #28,122 of 29,490
Quote:
I can't decide whether to keep the Amperior headphones or not. It all comes down to sound quality. Is this the best sound quality for 200 dollar headphones I can get, or are there more comfortable headphones for the same price with better sound quality that are also iPod driven? Can I get a better sound stage for 200 dollars?

At $200 I consider them to be the best at what they do.  That is: portable, efficient closed can.

May 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #28,123 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Was considering the 900 in my earlier post. I've ruled both out, as well as the AD900X, because it seems I'd enjoy the MA900 more than either of them. Really I feel like it's between the MA900 and the DT 990, I've left the HD 558 up for consideration simply because I can get one for so cheap. And I'm certainly not looking for overwhelming bass, but since these are for movies and games I'd like them to have some punch in the low end; I really wouldn't expect overpowering bass from any open headphone anyway. I should add I don't do a lot of competitive gaming, mostly single player stuff. I'm more concerned with enjoying the sound design than anything else.

The DT 990 is not balanced.  Its mids are recessed.

May 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #28,124 of 29,490
Quote:
What is your budget?

$100-$250 If its worth the money, and I enjoy it I'll probably buy it.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

No, closed cans definitely

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

my desktop using integrated sound from the motherboard. Might get an amp but I don't know very much about them.

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

320kbps MP3s and FLAC.

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

I listen to almost anything really, electronic, pop, R&B, and rock. I do enjoy my bass. I wouldn't mind a bassy headphone that has a great amount of bass and sub-bass. However if this comes at the expense of the rest of the sound spectrum then I will not bother, for instance the Pro700Mk2.
I have heard the the Logitech UE6000 is quite good for what I am looking for. However I am unsure whether it has the amount of bass I am looking for.
I then was considering the Ultrasone Pro 900, even thought I had bought it at one stage (was a scam), it sounded like it had a great low end section that didn't really disturb the mids and highs at all.

I also heard about the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's which have the adjustable bass ports. I thought that would be quite neat to have, but it has become apparent that the bass is quite bloated and in no one refined.
I have seen reviews on the M100 as well, but the only issue there is the price tag.

I have been on the hunt for my first real mid-fi pair of headphones for so long now. I need it to come to an end! I cannot really audition any of these headphones as I live in New Zealand which does not offer the amount of variety of stores other countries may have. I know because that this will be my first pair of real headphones, that anything I buy I will love, but I want to make sure that the ones I buy are truly good nonetheless.

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

I do plan to use them outside my home, but not too often, they'll be mostly indoor use. Outside of home they would be powered with the Google Nexus 4 or an ipod touch.  I don't know much about amps so if there are any suggestions I'll consider them. Portable use isn't much of a huge issue. Although if it is foldable etc. that comes at a bonus.

Thank you for any help given!

Lack of an amp limits your choices.  Unless you are willing to consider portable cans priced at or near the top of your budget, the Ultrasone HiFi 780 is probably the best match for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back