++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #27,166 of 29,490
Thanks KG.  I am looking your recommendations now.  I took a closer look at the specs on the  Beyer T70P.  They're really a mess.  Lots of distortion and sibilant frequency response.  Makes me wonder what I liked about them. 

I think it's the illusion of space and presence that I liked most about them.  After looking the charts I'm beginning to wonder if all liked about them was noise?

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #27,167 of 29,490
Hey everyone,

as you can see by my post count I'm 'new' here. Been lurking around without making an account for a good few weeks now, and I've been really enjoying myself reading about the different headphones that are on the market today. I honestly never knew (up until a few weeks ago then), that there was such a large and diverse market for speakers/phones and audio in general. So rather than making another "halps me pleaz" thread, I'll first try my luck in this topic. You never know :)

TL;DR What I'm looking for is a pair of cans suitable for games (PC only), music and video.

To further elaborate on my needs/wants/history;
Up until now I've only used garbage, headphones wise. Always had to use headphones because my parents did not like the noise coming from the computer, and it was always €10,00 no-brand nonsense. The only 'fancy' headSET I've owned is the one I'm currently using. The Logitech G35 (USB, closed, over-ear). And I'm just saying fancy because it was expensive. The only reason I have an USB headset was because my soundcard was broken, and I wanted a 'gamer' headset. Big mistake.

Now I'm not a hardcore/competitive gamer. What I do enjoy is large group skirmishes in ArmA (first-person warfare simulator), and the occasional faster paced FPS/RTS. When playing ArmA a lot of VoIP is used. As I said I do not play on a competitive level, so über positioning isn't a high priority. 

My taste in music is quite broad. I mainly listen to (punk)rock, metal and the occasional Drumm&Bass, but I also like 70's/80's/90's (pop)music and more orchestral/21st-century classical songs. As a sidenote, I would not call myself as a basshead, but I do love hearing the beats when the song calls for it. 

Regarding video; it's a mix of a lot of genres. I do watch a lot of series in my spare time, but nothing that will truely require an expensive setup.

-I plan to use the headphones connected to my computer, which will have a proper dedicated soundcard.

Things I've already decided on:

Budget
I have to stay realistic here. The budget will probably be around €200,00 / €250,00 (about the same budget in dollars due to VAT and what not).
The usual 'willing to spend more if it's a really good deal' applies here.

Bass
I love me some bass at times. Generally speaking, enough punch for the rock/metal/D&B without it being on basshead levels. Too much bass seems to kill the positioning when gaming.

Comfort
I'll be wearing them for extended periods of time (5 hours or more), so comfort is a big plus.
I have a slightly thicker than average head, with slightly smaller than average ears.
The G35 is quite clampy and it does not bother me as much. 

Portability
Not needed. They will be used at home and barely ever moved.

The things I'm not sure about:

Open/Closed
From what I understand an open set of cans will have a bigger soundstage and less pronounced bass. They will however leak sound out (not an issue) and let sound in (will be an issue during summer, when I got my big fans on). Closed ones have more bass, smaller soundstage and will leak in/out a lot less.

My theory is this: Closed headphones would be better for my bassy needs and to keep the noise of the fans out during summer. I will not have the larger soundstage of open cans, but seeing as I never had a good pair of cans I will not miss/notice it.

Soundcard/Amps
As I said I plan to use the new headphones combined with a high end soundcard. I've currently got my eyes on an Asus Xonar STX.

Question: Will a soundcard of this caliber be enough to drive a proper pair of headphones, or will I need an extra amp?

My research:
There's threads with my kind of needs popping up from time to time. From there I've been able to get a general feel for the headsets that are suited for my needs. I've also read Mad Lust Envy's guide on gamer-cans. In an ideal world I'd probably go for the Annies..(even though they are open) if only they wouldn't cost close to €600,00 (new) here.

HD 598 - Open, alledgedly not a whole lot of bass. Very good for positional audio though. (around €200,00)
DT 990 Pro 250 - Open, better bass than the HD 598's but slightly less neutral. (around €145,00)
DT 770 Pro 250 - Closed, better bass than 990's and a good soundstage for closed cans. (around €135,00)

Your input:
Whatever you can spare. Suggestions, experiences, words of wisdom.
I know there's a lot more suited headphones that match my needs, but the price is usually a limiting factor.

Thanks in advance!
Nixy

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #27,168 of 29,490
Quote:
The Momentums are on-ear, rather than over-ear; that may account for you saying the pads are too small.

What is your budget?

Weight is subjective.  If they sit on your head properly, you may find something like the Audio Technica ATH-A900X (12 oz from what I can see) or AKG K550 (can't find the weight) to be just right.

Liquidzoo, thanks for the response. Tried the AKG K550, they were too loose on my head and I could not get a good seal. Also tried the AT ATH-A900X and found their unique headband uncomfortable.

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #27,169 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everyone,

as you can see by my post count I'm 'new' here. Been lurking around without making an account for a good few weeks now, and I've been really enjoying myself reading about the different headphones that are on the market today. I honestly never knew (up until a few weeks ago then), that there was such a large and diverse market for speakers/phones and audio in general. So rather than making another "halps me pleaz" thread, I'll first try my luck in this topic. You never know :)

TL;DR What I'm looking for is a pair of cans suitable for games (PC only), music and video.

How much is a DT 880 Pro 250 in your area? It should be more neutral than the DT 990 and is generally considered a tier above the HD 598 or DT 770 if properly amped. I have a DT 990, but don't think it should be your main headphone due to the elevated treble. 

If you really want the Annies, see if someone in the US will order them from Razordog Audio and ship them to you in exchange for demoing them for a few days. They're going for $375 here.

Would you be open to an entry level amp/dac in place of a sound card? They're more transportable (usually USB plug and play) and you get the benefits of having the box and controls right on your desk. I've owned an Audio GD NFB-12 and Audinst HUD-MX1 and I think they're good values for $150-$250. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #27,170 of 29,490
Quote:
Liquidzoo, thanks for the response. Tried the AKG K550, they were too loose on my head and I could not get a good seal. Also tried the AT ATH-A900X and found their unique headband uncomfortable.

The DT 770 Anniversary Edition is about 4 ounces lighter than the regular DT 770 Pro (9.5 oz vs 13.4 oz) and has very low clamp by default (about the same as the premium series Beyers). I suppose you could bend the headband if you needed more clamp.

Frequency response is slightly v-shaped, but my pair sounds pretty flat to me with a bit of a bass boost, slightly recessed upper mids, and neutral treble. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #27,171 of 29,490
Hello all fellow music lovers,

This being my first comment/post on this sight I am a newborn in the head-fi family as well as the general hifi audio family. I have always loved music but just now have been able to afford anything better than the pathetic under 20 dollars offerings I have had to choose from. My budget now is at or around $100 (of course lower would be fine as well). I am looking for some good on or around-ear headphones for listening to music both on my laptop and from my phone. My music tastes are very diverse as I listen to, on a relatively consistent basis, the following:
-classic rock
-classic pop
-90s pop
-rap (all years)
-dubstep (when the mood hits me)
-movie soundtracks (ranging from Pitch Perfect to Les Miserables )
-classical
-techno

So, as you can tell I need some all-around headphones. I have already read and looked up ones from previous posts and threads but I would like a more personal recommendation. The difference between me and most of the posts I see is that I would like great quality sound but still need some good punching bass when I listen to some of my music. I will not be using an amp, portable or otherwise, at this moment (maybe in my richer future) so I need something that will sound god from a laptop and a phone.

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #27,172 of 29,490
Hello everyone! I hope you are all well! I am looking for a good pair of headphones under the price of $75.00, preferably from Frys.com and that are available in the Las Vegas store, as I need this by the 15th of this month; I am getting the HPs as a gift for my little sister, who does not have the best taste in sound and as much as I hate to say this...is very much into style, as she is an artist. I was thinking of the House of Marleys Rebel headphones...but I have heard the Positive Vibrations ones and they had horrid bass, if any at all; re the rebels the same? Any advice is appreciated!

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #27,173 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone! I hope you are all well! I am looking for a good pair of headphones under the price of $75.00, preferably from Frys.com and that are available in the Las Vegas store, as I need this by the 15th of this month; I am getting the HPs as a gift for my little sister, who does not have the best taste in sound and as much as I hate to say this...is very much into style, as she is an artist. I was thinking of the House of Marleys Rebel headphones...but I have heard the Positive Vibrations ones and they had horrid bass, if any at all; re the rebels the same? Any advice is appreciated!

Sony MDR-V55 Look good are under your budget and will be fun headphones for her. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #27,174 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all fellow music lovers,

This being my first comment/post on this sight I am a newborn in the head-fi family as well as the general hifi audio family. I have always loved music but just now have been able to afford anything better than the pathetic under 20 dollars offerings I have had to choose from. My budget now is at or around $100 (of course lower would be fine as well). I am looking for some good on or around-ear headphones for listening to music both on my laptop and from my phone. My music tastes are very diverse as I listen to, on a relatively consistent basis, the following:
-classic rock
-classic pop
-90s pop
-rap (all years)
-dubstep (when the mood hits me)
-movie soundtracks (ranging from Pitch Perfect to Les Miserables )
-classical
-techno

So, as you can tell I need some all-around headphones. I have already read and looked up ones from previous posts and threads but I would like a more personal recommendation. The difference between me and most of the posts I see is that I would like great quality sound but still need some good punching bass when I listen to some of my music. I will not be using an amp, portable or otherwise, at this moment (maybe in my richer future) so I need something that will sound god from a laptop and a phone.

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

CAL! (Creative Aurvana Live Headphones)--currently about $76 at Amazon.

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #27,175 of 29,490
hmm im stuck between continueing my search for mad dogs or sennheiser momentums any input? (will be purchasing xonar stx in the future at desk, mostly use iem for my portable)

- edit-

sorry i just noticed that the momentums are not suggested for people with ear sizes over 70mm. i hit about 75 im guessing that means no good for me?

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #27,177 of 29,490
Quote:

How much is a DT 880 Pro 250 in your area? It should be more neutral than the DT 990 and is generally considered a tier above the HD 598 or DT 770 if properly amped. I have a DT 990, but don't think it should be your main headphone due to the elevated treble. 

If you really want the Annies, see if someone in the US will order them from Razordog Audio and ship them to you in exchange for demoing them for a few days. They're going for $375 here.

Would you be open to an entry level amp/dac in place of a sound card? They're more transportable (usually USB plug and play) and you get the benefits of having the box and controls right on your desk. I've owned an Audio GD NFB-12 and Audinst HUD-MX1 and I think they're good values for $150-$250. 

Heya,

Thanks for your reply. The DT 880 Pro 250 would cost around €235,00 at a store that can deliver relatively soon. Most don't seem to have it in stock right now (prices dip as low as €190/200 in those shops, so about the same as the HD 598).

I'd indeed be willing to look at an amp/dac, if it's a better solution than a soundcard. The card I'm looking at would also cost around that much.
Am I right in assuming the amp/dac would take over the function of the soundcard (through USB), meaning I will not need one at all?

As for the Annies; from what I've read they just seem to fit the profile rather well. It's not a case of I-must-have-them, or not wanting to look further. Mind you that this is my non-expert opinion and I could be completely wrong about this :wink:. Your solution is an interesting one though, seeing as they cost about half in the States of what they cost here.

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #27,178 of 29,490
If you guys could recommend me some headphones that match the following requirements, that'd be great.

USE
I will be using them with my PC and Google Nexus Tablet, without an amp. I'll be listening to them in my room and on long car journeys so portability isn't an issue.
COMFORT
I'll be listening to the headphones for long periods of time so comfort is a must.
GENRE
I listen to Drum and Bass, Dubstep, Electronica and Hip-Hop, so good bass is essential.
PRICE RANGE
Anywhere less than £80 ($120)
LOOKS AND BUILD
Looks aren't very important as long as they're either black, grey or a similar colour. They must be quite durable however.

I've looked at a few headphones myself, and the Audio Technica ATH-WS55i looked quite good for my requirements, would you guys agree?

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #27,179 of 29,490
Quote:
If you guys could recommend me some headphones that match the following requirements, that'd be great.

USE
I will be using them with my PC and Google Nexus Tablet, without an amp. I'll be listening to them in my room and on long car journeys so portability isn't an issue.
COMFORT
I'll be listening to the headphones for long periods of time so comfort is a must.
GENRE
I listen to Drum and Bass, Dubstep, Electronica and Hip-Hop, so good bass is essential.
PRICE RANGE
Anywhere less than £80 ($120)
LOOKS AND BUILD
Looks aren't very important as long as they're either black, grey or a similar colour. They must be quite durable however.

I've looked at a few headphones myself, and the Audio Technica ATH-WS55i looked quite good for my requirements, would you guys agree?

Koss Portapro or sportapro. Great sound, incredible bass, very comfortable and lightweight, lots and lots of money left over for CD's and mp3 downloads. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #27,180 of 29,490
Quote:

Heya,

Thanks for your reply. The DT 880 Pro 250 would cost around €235,00 at a store that can deliver relatively soon. Most don't seem to have it in stock right now (prices dip as low as €190/200 in those shops, so about the same as the HD 598).

I'd indeed be willing to look at an amp/dac, if it's a better solution than a soundcard. The card I'm looking at would also cost around that much.
Am I right in assuming the amp/dac would take over the function of the soundcard (through USB), meaning I will not need one at all?

As for the Annies; from what I've read they just seem to fit the profile rather well. It's not a case of I-must-have-them, or not wanting to look further. Mind you that this is my non-expert opinion and I could be completely wrong about this :wink:. Your solution is an interesting one though, seeing as they cost about half in the States of what they cost here.

I just checked Amazon.de and that's awfully close to HD 600 pricing. If you're willing to spend that much, you might want to demo that as well since you may prefer a slightly warmer, more forgiving sound.

I would say that most entry level combos are at least equal to equivalently priced sound cards. Some of Audio GD units are very impressive from a specs perspective. And yes, the USB connectivity does replace the need to physically install something in your PC case. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back