++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 23, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #26,431 of 29,490
I'd really like (a) recommendation(s) for a second pair of headphones next to the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro LE and I'm looking for this;

- max around €150 (willing to up a bit if there's something great that's just a bit more)
- mostly used for portable players
- listening to electronic, techno, dubstep and alternative/rock
- I like bass
- closed
- over ear is prefered but on ear is not a huge problem
- comfort/looks is not a big deal, I'm not easily uncomfortable and prefer durability/quality of the materials over comfort and looks.

I'm happy with what I've got, but I'd like a second pair, and might as well look into a few different types and/or brands. So if you know of something I'd appreciate it a lot!

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #26,432 of 29,490
Quote:
I'd really like (a) recommendation(s) for a second pair of headphones next to the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro LE and I'm looking for this;

- max around €150 (willing to up a bit if there's something great that's just a bit more)
- I like bass
- closed
- comfort/looks is not a big deal, I'm not easily uncomfortable and prefer durability/quality of the materials over comfort and looks.

I'm happy with what I've got, but I'd like a second pair, and might as well look into a few different types and/or brands. So if you know of something I'd appreciate it a lot!

Why exactly do you need a second pair of headphones so similar to the DT770's? Are you not satisfied with its bass?

HFI-580.

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #26,433 of 29,490
Quote:

- I like bass
- closed

hd 25 1-ii about a few dollars more since it's about $195. The hd25 is $200.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #26,434 of 29,490
Hello,

I have ordered the Q701 twice, used it for a month each time, and returned it each time.  I still prefer my AD700 to the Q701.  I used the Q701 with an O2 amp.  I used the AD700 with good motherboard audio.

What upgrade should I try next?

Thanks

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #26,435 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

I have ordered the Q701 twice, used it for a month each time, and returned it each time.  I still prefer my AD700 to the Q701.  I used the Q701 with an O2 amp.  I used the AD700 with good motherboard audio.

Thanks

how much cash you got to burn. You still have the o2 and don't prefer to use it w/ the ad700?

AT just updated the line, so maybe the ad900x?

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #26,436 of 29,490

- I like bass
- closed

Honestly, I think the DT770 is pretty bass heavy, and one of the better bass heavy(er) portables out there. I think as a compliment to the DT770, you might enjoy a brighter pair like the A700's, or K167. The A700 does rock great IMO for a closed can, and has a great soundstage. The K167 sounds a bit more closed in, and can sometimes sound a bit congested with really complex music, but in general, sounds great. I departed with the 770 80 ohm, and A700, so I could keep the K167. Their portability is great as well.

Looking for my 2nd set of headphones:

A couple weeks ago I got a pair of Mad Dogs and absolutely love them. I've got about 15 hours of listening in with them connected to the Schiit Magni and they really do sound great. The isolation is perfect for me to listen while my wife has the TV on or is doing something else. I can really get into the music without bothering her.

Last night I was going through my taxes one last time and realized that I will owe less than I thought so now I have some "found" money to spend on fun stuff instead of giving to Uncle Sam
 I'm thinking that instead of getting another pair of closed headphones, it would be nice to have some open headphones that I can use when I'm alone in the room. My budget is probably under $250 (under $200 even better) and if they didn't absolutely need an outboard amp to get decent sound that would be a plus. 

I guess I'm looking for something that can complement the sound of the Mad Dogs, but in an open design.

What suggestions do you guys have?

I really enjoy my Q701's, but they really need an amp to sound good, so for you, I wouldn't recommend them. They sound good with no amp, but reading the forums, you will slowly suffer from Upgraditus as you read about people powering them with the $450 Lyr, and seeing yourself become more eager to try them with said amp.

The K240 MKii can be had for <$120 new on amazon. These have a fantastic sound, and are very forgiving of bad recordings. They are comfortable with stock pleather, I never tried the AKG velours. However, I did try the Beyer velours, and they increased the bass a bit too much for my liking, but you might like it of you feel they are bass light. They do highs pretty well, and have a nice soundstage, not to forward, but not as expansive as the Q701. These could DEFINATELY be a good fit for you, especially to compliment your Mad Dogs :)

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #26,437 of 29,490
Quote:
how much cash you got to burn. You still have the o2 and don't prefer to use it w/ the ad700?

I can spend ~ $500 if I return the O2 (arrived with deformed case), or ~ $300 if I keep the O2.

I keep coming back to the AD700 because it sounds easy, laid back, and normal.  The Q701 sounds good but it not nearly as peaceful as the AD700. 

I have considered the HD 650 but it is very expensive at $500.  The AD900x interests me, but after reading this comparison between the AD900x and the MA900, I think that I would like the MA900 more.  (AD900x is $280, MA900 is $205)

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #26,438 of 29,490
Quote:

I can spend ~ $500 if I return the O2 (arrived with deformed case), or ~ $300 if I keep the O2.

I keep coming back to the AD700 because it sounds easy, laid back, and normal.  The Q701 sounds good but it not nearly as peaceful as the AD700. 

I have considered the HD 650 but it is very expensive at $500.  The AD900x interests me, but after reading this comparison between the AD900x and the MA900, I think that I would like the MA900 more.  (AD900x is $280, MA900 is $205)

yes, the ma900 is a very well-valued phone. Also butchers the hd598 in another review.  Just thought you'd want something similar to the ad700 w/ a decent build. It's the successor to the MDR-F1 known as the baby k1000 w/ out the amazing build. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #26,439 of 29,490
Quote:
Honestly, I think the DT770 is pretty bass heavy, and one of the better bass heavy(er) portables out there. I think as a compliment to the DT770, you might enjoy a brighter pair like the A700's, or K167. The A700 does rock great IMO for a closed can, and has a great soundstage. The K167 sounds a bit more closed in, and can sometimes sound a bit congested with really complex music, but in general, sounds great. I departed with the 770 80 ohm, and A700, so I could keep the K167. Their portability is great as well.
I really enjoy my Q701's, but they really need an amp to sound good, so for you, I wouldn't recommend them. They sound good with no amp, but reading the forums, you will slowly suffer from Upgraditus as you read about people powering them with the $450 Lyr, and seeing yourself become more eager to try them with said amp.

The K240 MKii can be had for <$120 new on amazon. These have a fantastic sound, and are very forgiving of bad recordings. They are comfortable with stock pleather, I never tried the AKG velours. However, I did try the Beyer velours, and they increased the bass a bit too much for my liking, but you might like it of you feel they are bass light. They do highs pretty well, and have a nice soundstage, not to forward, but not as expansive as the Q701. These could DEFINATELY be a good fit for you, especially to compliment your Mad Dogs
smily_headphones1.gif

I do have an amp, the Schiit Magni so maybe the Q701's might be worth a look. The K240's though, sound like something to investigate further. How do they do with an amp?

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #26,440 of 29,490
Hello,

Thanks

If you like the signature of the AD700, try the AD900X.

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #26,441 of 29,490
Quote:
I do have an amp, the Schiit Magni so maybe the Q701's might be worth a look. The K240's though, sound like something to investigate further. How do they do with an amp?

Oh if you have an amp, then yeah they are definately worth a shot, they were good off my E17 :)

The K240's benefit from an amp aswell. They get plenty loud without one, but they really open up with one. They sounded fantastic with my E17, but they sounded good out of my iPod too, although, that was really before I knew about HiFi sound, so who knows what my ears would think now. But they definately dont need a superb amp to drive them

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #26,442 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

The K240 MKii can be had for <$120 new on amazon. These have a fantastic sound, and are very forgiving of bad recordings. They are comfortable with stock pleather, I never tried the AKG velours. However, I did try the Beyer velours, and they increased the bass a bit too much for my liking, but you might like it of you feel they are bass light. They do highs pretty well, and have a nice soundstage, not to forward, but not as expansive as the Q701. These could DEFINATELY be a good fit for you, especially to compliment your Mad Dogs
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't know about the Magni specifically, but the K 240 scales up well with good and better amps.  This is somewhat unusual for a can in its price range.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #26,443 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

What do you mean by "peaceful"?  The AD700 is a nice $100 can, but it does not hold a candle to the Q 701 in any area, except efficiency.  The AD700 is almost devoid of bass (and I am NOT a basshead of any stripe).  Compared to the Q701, which many don't like because it has too little bass, the Q701 is almost a basshead can, standing next to the AD-700.

My guess is that you just don't like the sound signature of the Q701--probably due to the way it pulls apart each musical voice.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #26,444 of 29,490
Quote:
Oh if you have an amp, then yeah they are definately worth a shot, they were good off my E17 :)

The K240's benefit from an amp aswell. They get plenty loud without one, but they really open up with one. They sounded fantastic with my E17, but they sounded good out of my iPod too, although, that was really before I knew about HiFi sound, so who knows what my ears would think now. But they definately dont need a superb amp to drive them

Yeah, the Magni seems to be a solid amp. It really made a difference with my Mad Dogs and seems to have plenty of power.
Quote:
Don't know about the Magni specifically, but the K 240 scales up well with good and better amps.  This is somewhat unusual for a can in its price range.

I think the Magni is a very solid amp. I've done a little bit of research on the K 240 and K 240mkii and with the "old" K 240 selling for under $100 it is very tempting! Is it really worth it to get the mkii version or is the regular K 240 the steal that it seems to be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back