++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 20, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #26,296 of 29,490
Quote:

As far as I know, AKG offers two year warranties for all of its headphones. From my experience though, you don't need the two years. Most factory defects show up within the first couple months. If not, you're all set- as long as you take gentle care of your headphones they will easily last a decade.

I can vouch for the K701's, but are those all your options? What about the DT880? Ultrasone's?

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #26,298 of 29,490
Quote:

As far as I know, AKG offers two year warranties for all of its headphones. From my experience though, you don't need the two years. Most factory defects show up within the first couple months. If not, you're all set- as long as you take gentle care of your headphones they will easily last a decade.

I can vouch for the K701's, but are those all your options? What about the DT880? Ultrasone's?

Thanks

From what I have read both the DT 880/990 are downgrades vs. Denon D2000's.  Are you referring to the Ultrasone 900's?  I think there was a reason I crossed them off my list.  The AKG's have a 1 year warranty.

The Sennhesier HD 600's are supposed to be more neutral, but they are 600$ here.  The T90's are the best deal @530$ but I am not sure if my receiver can handle them.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #26,299 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

From what I have read both the DT 880/990 are downgrades vs. Denon D2000's.  Are you referring to the Ultrasone 900's?  I think there was a reason I crossed them off my list.  The AKG's have a 1 year warranty.

The Sennhesier HD 600's are supposed to be more neutral, but they are 600$ here.  The T90's are the best deal @530$ but I am not sure if my receiver can handle them.

The DT 880 is not a downgrade from the D2000.  Different sound signature--yes.  Downgrade no; in fact it is an upgrade in an apples vs. oranges sort of way.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #26,300 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks

http://www.akg.com/site/powerslave,id,19,nodeid,19,_language,EN,country,EN.html

Quote:
Limited Warranty valid United States of America (*) and Canada (**):
AKG Acoustics warrants AKG products against defects in material or workmanship for a period of two years from the date of original purchase, and agrees to repair or, at our option replace any defective unit without charge for either parts or labor.

Also, the K701 is no better than the DT880. There used to be a larger debate here on which of the two is better but I think the general consensus is that the two are at the same level. I haven't heard the D2K but I've owned the D5K and I wouldn't consider the K701 to be upgrades either, more like sidegrades (certainly not downgrades).

$600 for the HD600, pretty fitting for their name
biggrin.gif
. How much are the K701's there?

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #26,301 of 29,490
AD900x vs HD 598 vs DT 880 Pro

Mainly for home in a quiet room, so open is great. Electronic, rock/alt, classical, hip hop, rap. I'm not a basshead but I like a reasonable bass. I want a lively/fun headphone, doesn't have to be perfectly accurate. Would like nice soundstage/imaging.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #26,302 of 29,490
The DT 880 is not a downgrade from the D2000.  Different sound signature--yes.  Downgrade no; in fact it is an upgrade in an apples vs. oranges sort of way.

I've read many vs/comparison threads, neither pair (880/990) seem worthwhile to me and neither model is available from a place which does not charge a 15%+ restocking fee if I don't like them.  

Just for reference, some prices

AKG Q701 (405$ after tax, Amazon Canada is the only retailer to sell them with a good return/exchange policy)
Beyerdynamic DT 880 250ohm (300$+12% tax if ordered in Canada but AVshop.ca has a 25% re-stocking fee)
Sony MDR-7520 (380$ after tax, Amazon Canada is the only retailer to sell them with a good return/exchange policy)
Beyerdynamic T90 (600$ after tax from NCIX=15% re-stocking fee but I can get a 3 year no hassle warranty if I love them)
Sennheiser HD 600 (670$ after tax, Amazon Canada is the only retailer to sell them with a good return/exchange policy)

I do realize I can order from the sates/ebay (Q701's are 280$+shipping from Sonic) but the duty fees+shipping end up making the prices the same or more and then there is the return/exchange issue.  I use shopbot & pricebat.ca to check prices.

Weird, found the 990 250ohms for 165$ but I am not sure if my receiver can handle them
http://www.avshop.ca/sound-amp-pa-audio/headphones/over-ear-headphones/beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro-studio-headphones

32ohm version are 430$ from NCIX but they have a 15% re-stocking fee.

Quote:

http://www.akg.com/site/powerslave,id,19,nodeid,19,_language,EN,country,EN.html

Also, the K701 is no better than the DT880. There used to be a larger debate here on which of the two is better but I think the general consensus is that the two are at the same level. I haven't heard the D2K but I've owned the D5K and I wouldn't consider the K701 to be upgrades either, more like sidegrades (certainly not downgrades).

$600 for the HD600, pretty fitting for their name
biggrin.gif
. How much are the K701's there?

Interesting, Sonic Electronics states that the AKG's have a 1 year warranty and I've seen that on a few other sites too.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_36159_AKG-Q701-Q-701-Quincy-Jones-Signature-Reference-Headphones-Lime-Green.html

Thanks for the help!

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #26,303 of 29,490
Quote:
AD900x vs HD 598 vs DT 880 Pro

Mainly for home in a quiet room, so open is great. Electronic, rock/alt, classical, hip hop, rap. I'm not a basshead but I like a reasonable bass. I want a lively/fun headphone, doesn't have to be perfectly accurate. Would like nice soundstage/imaging.

I suggest a used HD600/650 depending on which you think you might like more.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #26,304 of 29,490
Quote:
I suggest a used HD600/650 depending on which you think you might like more.

From what I read, the 650 is superior in most regards... I'm wary of used though :/.. hard to tell if it could possibly be damaged and no warranty.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #26,305 of 29,490
Quote:
From what I read, the 650 is superior in most regards... I'm wary of used though :/.. hard to tell if it could possibly be damaged and no warranty.

I prefer the 600. It's more neutral in my opinion. The two headphones are very similar, more similar than people would lead you to believe. The hd650 just have a slightly elevated bass response and a higher price tag (usually).

Used should be fine, would you trash a pair of 600 or 650 if you owned them? Most people really baby these headphones, if you buy from someone with a little trader feedback and that says the headphones are in good shape you should be A-okay. The trade forums on here are really very nice and trustworthy. I just picked up some used HD580s off craigslist (17-18 years old) and the drivers are still in good shape. I had to open them up and remove a little dog hair.. and the pads need replacement, but they sound phenomenal.

Senns are very modular and you can get a very good look at the drivers to make sure they are in good condition and for piece of mind using nothing but a spoon from a drawer.. But, it's totally up to you man.

P.S. The sound impressions are strictly my opinion. Many people prefer the 600 and many prefer the 650. Most agree the 600 is the more neutral can and the 650 a slightly more lively counterpart.

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #26,306 of 29,490
Yea, so I probably lean to the 650 since I tend to prefer lively stuff. I just don't think I'll be able to do used. I'm simply not experienced enough to be able to be confident in my purchase and whether the headphones are performing at their peak.

So basically, you're saying I'm likely expecting/wanting too much out of my price range (new)?

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #26,307 of 29,490
Alright, I'm stuck between 3 pairs of headphones at the moment. The Sony MDR-1Rs, the Audio Technica WS99s, and the Audio Technica AD900X. I plan on using these for home use only. I will be using it for movies, gaming, and music so I'd like a pair of headphones that excels in all areas. I primarily listen to metal, dubstep (other types of techno as well, but this is the main one I like), and alternative/rock [in that order].

On to my sound preferences (for music only). I love slightly exaggerated sub bass that doesn't affect the mids or highs. I like a slight amount of mid bass, just enough for that bass drum punch.

I like the vocals to be a little more forward than the rest of the spectrum. Mids are the most important aspect of sound to me. I just like them to be layered, full and forward.

I like my highs to be bright and detailed, but smooth enough to where I don't cringe. I'm more sensitive to sibilance and harshness than most. I LOVE micro-details and timbre so I definitely want some nice crisp highs, but I want it to be laid back enough to where it doesn't hurt my ears at louder listening volumes.

If anyone can help me out that would be great. And if you'd like to suggest another pair of over-ear headphones around this price range, then I'd be happy to consider it.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #26,308 of 29,490
Quote:
Yea, so I probably lean to the 650 since I tend to prefer lively stuff. I just don't think I'll be able to do used. I'm simply not experienced enough to be able to be confident in my purchase and whether the headphones are performing at their peak.

So basically, you're saying I'm likely expecting/wanting too much out of my price range (new)?

No, just saying that I think you should go for senns and that I think the money spent on a new 598 is better spent on a used 600/650. You can ask the person the overall condition of the headphone and ask for some good pictures of the drivers... Like I said, up to you. You'd prolly be happy with a brand new 598, you could just get more headphone for the money.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #26,309 of 29,490
I'm looking for my first headphone. I own RE0 (IEM) and I like the way it sounds except it's lack of bass.

Budget: Up to $200 (Less is better)
Usage: Only at home.
Kind of music: I listen to all genres of music especially pop and J-rock (classic sometimes).
Source: PC with no sound card, unamped.
Signature: Neutral, all rounder. I'm not a basshead. Just need a little more bass than RE0. I have to wear it more than 2 consecutive hours so comfortable is must.
Possibilities:
ATH-AD700
ATH-M50 - In my country its price nearly same as AD700.
Shure SRH440
Sennheiser HD239
Sennheiser PX100-II
Sennheiser HD439
(Not in this list is OK.)

Thank you for all opinions.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #26,310 of 29,490
I currently own the Bose Around Ear (first version) and i am considering upgrading to the Audio Technica ATH-M50.

Reason for upgrade:
-Can't wear my bose for more than 1 hour without it starting to hurt my ears and after 2 hours it hurts the top of my head.

-Looking for an increase in Audio quality for monitoring audio recording (Filmmaking).
-Looking for headphones with a very clear, realistic sound, and without overpowering bass.

My question for you is if it's worth the upgrade? are there other headphones i should consider?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back