++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #25,637 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Your budget is too low to get into lower level quality cans, especially unamped through a laptop (I know nothing about your tablet).  Don't be surprised if they don't not drive either Superlux very well.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm afraid that i can't go higher than $50 :frowning2:. What is the absolute best I can get for that?

Maybe the Koss PortaPro.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #25,638 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey I've been lurking for a while now and I've decided that I should take the plunge and see what I'm missing.

I'm currently looking for a pair of closed back headphones that will be used from my Ipod classic, phone and PC. The headphones that I have whittled my choices down to are:

• Shure SRH840 - £129 - Amazon UK -   $194.94 - Concerns about impedance considering I'm not using an amp

• V-Moda Crossfade LP2 - £156 - Amazon UK-   $235.75

• AKG K550 - £149 - Amazon UK -  $225.17

• Audio-Technica ATH M50 -£133 - Amazon UK - $200.99

I should note that I'll more than likely be purchasing these headphones from Amazon UK. Out of those three which are the best, I'm looking for a pair that have good noise isolation and sound quality. If there are other cans that are around £150 mark on Amazon UK that you think out perform the three I have listed let me know.

Thank you

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #25,640 of 29,490
Quote:
I need some recommendations on headphones in the <$70 range I listen mainly to Rock, metal, classical, and instrumental music. I might use them for a little bit of audio mixing or gaming so maybe a decent soundstage would be nice. I like a good flat response. I really liked my JVC flats because of that kind of sound. Portability might factor into this since I'll probably be wearing them everyday. I have been looking at JVC HARX700, Monoprice 8323, Beyerdynamic DT235, and the Koss Pro DJ 100.

Of these models, I own the DT235, the Pro DJ100 (actually the Tony Bennett Special Edition variant) and the Flats.  I find that the TBSE is best in the midrange, and has less prominent highs.  The DT235 is also very good, but has more prominent highs that maybe overshadow the mids.  The Flats are excellent for their lower price.  Since the DT235 is less expensive (usually) than the TBSE or ProDJ100, I would say that they are truly comparable in value.  I would also recommend the ("carbon nanotubes driver") JVC HA-S400, which is very easy to drive and, at about $28 on Amazon now, less expensive than the DT235, while comparable in sound quality.  The Pro DJ 100 is also less efficient than the others, although I find that my laptop does an adequate job at driving it.  I have no direct listening experience with the HARX700 and the 8323.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #25,641 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok this is gonna be the first time i post here on head-fi. I've been lurking around for about a week and decided to make an account :D. My cousin who lives in america is gonna come home next month and i asked him if he could order headphones for me from amazon.

Budget: $30-$50 (I wont be able to return it due to defects since I live in asia. I dont want to spend too much $$$ just to be safe. 

As of right now, im choosing among these: jvc harx700, superlux 681 and superlux 668b. Feel free to recommend other better ones though. 

I listen to almost all types of music, ill be using these unamped through my laptop and nexus 10. My music is at 320kbps.

Thanks guys.

There are many good choices at that price.  Here are some that I own and enjoy: JVC HA-S400 (a current favorite, very efficient, clear sound), Beyerdynamic DT-235 ("hi-fi" "thin" sound), Philips SHL-5500 (mid-centric), Philips SHL-5605 (Cityscape Dowtown; great isolation and good sound for travel), Koss PortaPro (euphonic mid-bass hump), Koss TBSE (very nice midrange, harder to drive).  If you could stretch your budget a bit, you could get the CAL!, which many find to be superior to all of the other ones mentioned. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #25,642 of 29,490
I am looking to replace my monoprice m8323's that broke after almost a year, I like the sound of them except the highs need EQing. my budget is about 50$. I listen to alot of differant types of music. Source is onboard sound on my desktop (Asus Mini itx z77 i-deluxe) and to a lesser extent my Motorola Atrix HD both with flac files and no amp or DAC. I was saving to get better ones but the same thing that broke the headphones also broke my speakers which ate up two thirds of what I saved.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #25,643 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello. I am posting here for a friend of mine. I thought I would start here since I am swamped with school work and can't look around very well for him at the moment.

Here is what he has told me -> "I listen to mostly alternative, hip hop, dubstep and techno crap. I love good sounding bass. I wouldn't mind in-ear headphones if they sound amazing but most in ears are uncomfortable as hell. So probably looking for over the ear for home. Spending limit is up to $200 as long as the quality is worth it."

Thanks for any leads
biggrin.gif

/bump

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #25,645 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
K 702 65th Annies

Those are kind of out of my price range :frowning2: assuming I'm not lucky enough to find a cheap one here on head-fi, do you have any other headphone suggestions for the preferences I described?

Nope, sorry.  The Annies meet everything except your budget requirement, although they are not off by very much considering the $375 to $399 new that some of us paid.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #25,646 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking to replace my monoprice m8323's that broke after almost a year, I like the sound of them except the highs need EQing. my budget is about 50$. I listen to alot of differant types of music. Source is onboard sound on my desktop (Asus Mini itx z77 i-deluxe) and to a lesser extent my Motorola Atrix HD both with flac files and no amp or DAC. I was saving to get better ones but the same thing that broke the headphones also broke my speakers which ate up two thirds of what I saved.

See discussion of $50 can recommendations over the last 3 pages or so.

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #25,649 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey I've been lurking for a while now and I've decided that I should take the plunge and see what I'm missing.

I'm currently looking for a pair of closed back headphones that will be used from my Ipod classic, phone and PC. The headphones that I have whittled my choices down to are:

• Shure SRH840 - £129 - Amazon UK -   $194.94 - Concerns about impedance considering I'm not using an amp

• V-Moda Crossfade LP2 - £156 - Amazon UK-   $235.75

• AKG K550 - £149 - Amazon UK -  $225.17

• Audio-Technica ATH M50 -£133 - Amazon UK - $200.99

I should note that I'll more than likely be purchasing these headphones from Amazon UK. Out of those three which are the best, I'm looking for a pair that have good noise isolation and sound quality. If there are other cans that are around £150 mark on Amazon UK that you think out perform the three I have listed let me know.

Thank you

I've heard all these but the lp2 (but have heard m100) and I'd rate their sound quality as: K550>SRH840>M50>M100.  All have good sound isolation.

So get the K550 unless you want emphasized bass and don't mind slightly smaller soundstage, in which case you should get SRH840 which deliver amazing sq for the price.  SRH840 perform very well without amplification  (sorry, haven't played with K550 with different amps).  If you want serious bass, the latter two will give it to you in spades and still sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back