++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 16, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #23,416 of 29,490
Hello everyone, Check out the V Moda's. They are fashionable headphones done right.

Please could someone advise me on which headphones to buy, I really like the look of Beats but I am hearing they are over priced for what they are? I like the size of them, not too big, I need to use them for gaming on my imac so will need a built in mic, and to attach to my iphone/ipad for listening to music. If you can suggest ones that are in-ear instead then that would be fine too. Price range is upto around £150 (or $240) .
thanks for your help!

Well, I replaced my beats pros - look flashy but not worth the money in terms of sound quality considering that there are so many alternatives out there.

Have a look around / research the sony mbr xb700's, but I don't think they have a mic, but they do fall into your price range

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #23,417 of 29,490
Have been looking on this forum for some time looking for a new set of cans, had beats pros previously and was disappointed with the lack of bass! (Either that or dropped them a few to many times)

Well after a bit of looking around etc I got myself a pair of Sony MDR XB1000's which I've had near a day so far, a little big for my liking but worth every penny.

What I'm asking is is that I've let them burn in (only a day or two of constant playing) and they're starting to sound much better, but I plugged it into a little fiio 3 amp I had laying around and sounded even better! What I'm asking is (as my instructions are no use) can I put more power through the headphones and if so how much? But more importantly can someone recommend a good yet affordable amp?

I do like the stage provided by the headphones but looking to make them a little punchier withlut upsetting the mids and highs - using my galaxy s3 as a player at the moment and was thinking of getting digiZoid ZO2/fiio 11/ cmoy Bb's
But as I've tried nothing better than the fiio I got currently I don't know where to begin ! Hopefully it is small enough to be banded to my phone without the signal interfering with it's performance.

Thanks to those who reply - but let's hope I won't be emptying what's left in my wallet on this! Considering I'm a student and all :)

Anyone help me with this? :confused:

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #23,419 of 29,490
Quote:
Have been looking on this forum for some time looking for a new set of cans, had beats pros previously and was disappointed with the lack of bass! (Either that or dropped them a few to many times)

Well after a bit of looking around etc I got myself a pair of Sony MDR XB1000's which I've had near a day so far, a little big for my liking but worth every penny.

What I'm asking is is that I've let them burn in (only a day or two of constant playing) and they're starting to sound much better, but I plugged it into a little fiio 3 amp I had laying around and sounded even better! What I'm asking is (as my instructions are no use) can I put more power through the headphones and if so how much? But more importantly can someone recommend a good yet affordable amp?

I do like the stage provided by the headphones but looking to make them a little punchier withlut upsetting the mids and highs - using my galaxy s3 as a player at the moment and was thinking of getting digiZoid ZO2/fiio 11/ cmoy Bb's
But as I've tried nothing better than the fiio I got currently I don't know where to begin ! Hopefully it is small enough to be banded to my phone without the signal interfering with it's performance.

Thanks to those who reply - but let's hope I won't be emptying what's left in my wallet on this! Considering I'm a student and all
smily_headphones1.gif

Further amplification will probably have fairly small or no more effects on their sound- compare the fiio to a full-sized stereo amplifier to verify this.  For a punchier and noticeably improved sound, your best bet is another headphone.  For example, try Grado SR60/80 for something very inexpensive, quality & lively that will run great off your portable amp.  The biggest improvement for your pennies will always be in the headphone, way too much expectation and wasted money is placed on amp upgrades imho.  You can approach perfection for very little $ by buying used, compare to what you have, sell the one you like less and repeat.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #23,420 of 29,490
Quote:
i'm looking for the best closed headphone to listen psy trance, dubstep, deathstep, drumstep

my budget is between 100$ and 300$.

I will use my headphone for ipod only and laptop. i do not own amp.

i want the best quality/price for my need.

Please help me, i'm lost. 

Denon D2000 new or used.  

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #23,421 of 29,490
Looking for a pair of headphones around $0-100USD for PC Gaming/Movies.

Using a ZERO+ DAC. 

Main needs probably are a Large Soundstage, Bass doesn't need to be too heavy as long it is clean and tight, I like good sounding mids as well.

Have looked at the AD700, but wondering if there are other alternatives as this runs around $120 on amazon atm.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #23,424 of 29,490
Experienced Head-Fi:ers, up for a challenge? I need enlightening.

These are my criteria:

1. Closed - I will be using them while commuting and would hate to disturb others. And of course, wouldn't like others disturbing me :]
  2. Around ear - I wear glasses which makes on-ear headphones very uncomfortable.
  3. Sound - I'm sensitive to sibilance. Other than that - I don't really know. I like being able to hear details in classical music, I like hearing vocals (especially female) clearly, but I also like to feel the bass from electronica.
  1. €200-300 -  I'm also interested in buying a Fiio E17 AMP/DAC as I believe my HTC One X isn't the best source.

Tried a few headphones, but was a while ago:
  1. Sennheiser Momentums - Too small earpads + glasses makes them uncomfortable. Otherwise interesting sound.
  2. AKG K550 - Couldn't get them to fit right, very bad isolation due to this issue so barely listened to them.
  3. Sony MDR-1R - Interesting and very comfortable, but maybe need to try these with an amp, seemed like it needed more than my HTC One X? Or that's just their sound?
  4. Denon AH-D400 - Not too keen on the design, but should maybe listen to these again as I can't remember what I thought about the sound.

Grateful if you guys can help me out!

Regards,

billiek

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #23,425 of 29,490
Hi guys, ill be copying this format just for the sake of organizing
Budget: $0-200 (the lower, the better)
Music preferences: Rock(Classic, Alternative, Post-Rock ) and some Metal
Open or closed design: doesnt really matter, open would be a plus tho
Amped or unamped: unamped, i will be using it with my mp3 player

thanks so much

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #23,426 of 29,490
Hello,

I once needed a headphone to transcribe voice recording. I have been recommended and eventually ordered the Superlux HD661. I am very happy with it.

Now, I need headset (or microphone) to record voice accurately for Dragon NaturallySpeaking speech recognition software from Nuance. It should be as good and affordable as my Superlux.

Please let me know why you recommend a particular piece of headware. Cheers.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #23,428 of 29,490
Hi, i'm looking for a new full Circumaural piece, that will server for music, gaming, movies (in that order), somewhere around 50€. So after reading some threads (especially Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide) i was inclined to get the Creative Aurvana Live!. Yet i have the opportunity of getting a Sennheiser 449 for the same price.

Which one is better? I like the sound to be more on the warm side then bright.

Thanks in advance

ps:i don't use an ampl of any sort for now, considering buying a portable amp later on

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #23,429 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, i'm looking for a new full Circumaural piece, that will server for music, gaming, movies (in that order), somewhere around 50€. So after reading some threads (especially Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide) i was inclined to get the Creative Aurvana Live!. Yet i have the opportunity of getting a Sennheiser 449 for the same price.

Which one is better? I like the sound to be more on the warm side then bright.

Thanks in advance

ps:i don't use an ampl of any sort for now, considering buying a portable amp later on

The Cal is warmer for sure...  For the 400 series it goes like this
419-darkest most bass
439- mid centric-Perfect bass for me
449-highs-bass lighter

Both are great cans, I lean to the Cal but I'm a Denon fanboy, The Senn are full ear, the Cal on ear if that matters?

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #23,430 of 29,490
Quote:

Both are great cans, I lean to the Cal but I'm a Denon fanboy, The Senn are full ear, the Cal on ear if that matters?

Thanks for the quick answer Magicman74. The Cal is only on ear? I can't find it in Portugal on a store, so only saw it on pics like this one http://asset0.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/sc/32810185-2-200-0.gif and tought it was full ear also. ^^

In terms of sound, does the Senn behaves better in the rest of the sound range? Or are they about the same in soundrange/SQ?

Edit: Are the CAL like the sony v150[size=medium]?[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back