++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 13, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #23,297 of 29,490
KLJ1992 said:
.Hello everyone, my first time in the forums.

I'm on a search for new headphones and I need some advice. Currently I have the Bose AE 2 headphone and while I do enjoy them, I want something that has more strength in noise-canceling and isolation while not sacificing sound and comfort. Although I'm on a budget of $130-150, I would take any suggestions.

Can someone give me feedback? Also if it helps to vary down choices, I listen to jazz-hop and hard rock so any headphones that work with those genres better would help.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #23,299 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hello everyone, my first time in the forums.

I'm on a search for new headphones and I need some advice. Currently I have the Bose AE 2 headphone and while I do enjoy them, I want something that has more strength in noise-canceling and isolation while not sacificing sound and comfort. Although I'm on a budget of $130-150, I would take any suggestions.

Can someone give me feedback? Also if it helps to vary down choices, I listen to jazz-hop and hard rock so any headphones that work with those genres better would help.

Although I admit that Bose has probably the best noise cancelling headphones (QC15), and have exceptional comfort, I honestly can't think of anything that has more noise isolation than the AE2 at the top of my head. The isolation measurement for the AE2 is -15 decibels, which is a lot of noise isolation. The closest thing that comes to it is the Beats Solo....but it's Beats, 'nuff said.

Maybe a KRK KNS 6400, or Beyerdynamic DT770?

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #23,300 of 29,490
Quote:
Hifiman He-300 or Sennheiser HD598

I mostly listen to rock music.

Open can for Rock for around $200 I would also look at the Ultrasone HIFI 2400

http://www.amazon.com/ULTRASONE-HFI-2400-Professional-Open-Back-Headphones/dp/B002W37ESY/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358134568&sr=1-8&keywords=hifi2400

Fun can

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #23,303 of 29,490
Quote:
The 750 comes with a decent protective case that contains 2 removable cables in sizes suitable for home and portable use.  Check the buying link in the opening post of this thread for a little more about them and more links to reviews.  Again--they need an amp or they lose their bass, even if they are loud from an unamped source.

Thanks for your advice. I searched the forums for opinions on the 750's and found that many really dislike the strong trebble on them (while others didnt), so they seem to be somewhat controversial. And then they are the most expensive on my list. Spending so much money I kind of got to be more or less sure I like them. Best thing would be if I found a place to try them on.. however I have already checked the main stores in my town and didn't see them. :/ (still have to check some smaller, more specialized stores though)

I rechecked some pics of the k 550 and saw that the pads can be turned, so I think it should be possible to put them in a bag, as long as I don't squeeze them in?

From what you said I understand that I should get an amp no matter which headphones I get if I want some good quality?

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #23,304 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
The 750 comes with a decent protective case that contains 2 removable cables in sizes suitable for home and portable use.  Check the buying link in the opening post of this thread for a little more about them and more links to reviews.  Again--they need an amp or they lose their bass, even if they are loud from an unamped source.

Thanks for your advice. I searched the forums for opinions on the 750's and found that many really dislike the strong trebble on them (while others didnt), so they seem to be somewhat controversial. And then they are the most expensive on my list. Spending so much money I kind of got to be more or less sure I like them. Best thing would be if I found a place to try them on.. however I have already checked the main stores in my town and didn't see them. :/ (still have to check some smaller, more specialized stores though)

I rechecked some pics of the k 550 and saw that the pads can be turned, so I think it should be possible to put them in a bag, as long as I don't squeeze them in?

From what you said I understand that I should get an amp no matter which headphones I get if I want some good quality?

Yes this is true. The K 550 can "lie flat" on a surface, which makes it easier to slip in a backpack/book bag versus one that has earcups that fold inward like the ATH-M50 or SRH840, which are more bulky to put in such a bag.

One warning about the K 550 though is that you need a good seal on your head in order for it to hear the best out of them. I tried the K 550's at a local Head-Fi meet and they sounded fantastic............BUT I had to push the earcups against my head with both hands since I could not get a good seal with them what-so-ever, no matter what size I set on the adjustable headband.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #23,306 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok, I am a newbie that signed up looking for some help. I know these topics have been covered and I appreciate your help. I have been on the other end of answering the "same old questions" often with saltwater fish and I'm sorry for this. I'm looking to buy my first real set of headphones. Please forgive my lingo (or lack thereof) and my expected learning curve. I have spent at least 40+ hours researching and reading all the reviews about this phone vs.that phone threads and I could use some help. I am not a real audiophile because I have a slight hearing loss from 10+ years of machine shops and commercial lawn mowers. I enjoy quality products and a touch of style doesn't hurt. 

Intended audio:
Christian rock/pop, Christian Rap, Macbook Pro(new) for movies, Audio lectures/Bible studies, PC and Xbox Gaming (in order of time spent).
Where/when:
I will use them sometimes when my wife is sleeping next to me. I might use them in the car on the way to work. I will use them once in a great while while traveling (airplane) but only a couple times per year. I will be on the move 90% of the time when I use these so I don't want HUGE cans on my average/smaller sized head. Average time of use will be 1hr per day. 
Source used:
40% iPod touch 4th gen; without amp.....for now, 40% Macbook Pro, 20% TV(I haven't figured out this one yet as far as connecting it to my Xbox).

I have figured out I need a closed ear headphone due to use around my sleeping wife and occasional travel. I don't really see the need for noise canceling, just to keep my music from leaking out. I think I would prefer an around the ear headphone.

My price range is around $150 but I will spend as much as $200 for a really nice set-up. Here are the cans I've been looking at based off my research(no order of preference):

[size=1.7em] Sennheiser HD 449[/size]

Sennheiser HD 439
Ultrasone HFI-680
Ultrasone HFI-580
V-MODA Crossfade M-80
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Phiaton MS 400, I really like this look the best
Fischer Audio FA-004

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!!

-Brian

I'm leaning towards the MS 400 based on the more "portable look". Does any of these others have a low profile appearance with better sound quality than the MS400? I'm really trying to keep in mind that I will be traveling, either to work or just out and about, with these MOST of the time so I want a headphone that doesn't look like I'm controlling air traffic while wearing them. Thanks for your time.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #23,307 of 29,490
Hi, as you guys can see i'm new to this forum.
I read a lot last days from you guys so I can buy the perfect headphones(for me).

I'm still hesitating between 3 headphones.

Audiotechnica M50s

Ultrasone Hfi 580

Ultrasone Hfi 780

i listen to psy trance, dubstep, deathstep (also drumstep, brostep)
I will mostly use my headphones with my ipod but also with my laptop.
I have no amp.

Which one do you guys suggest?

I can have M50s for 160$    
ultrasone hfi 580 for 240$  
ultrasone hfi 780 for 320$

Also, i don't have any professional headphones these will be my first.

Thank you very much to everyone! Hope i'll get some help.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #23,308 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Amps aren't necessary for every headphone.  A number are designed to play well straight out of portable and other low power devices.  Of course the lack of quality of your equipment pushing your cans is a potential problem area.  Weakest link rules the day--and not in a good way.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #23,309 of 29,490
Quote:
I read a lot last days from you guys so I can buy the perfect headphones(for me).

Audiotechnica M50s

Ultrasone Hfi 580

Ultrasone Hfi 780

I have no amp.

I can have M50s for 160$    

The 580 is a pure basshead can.

The fixed cord on the M-50 is too long for ipod use.

Get the 780.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #23,310 of 29,490
Quote:

Audiotechnica M50s

Ultrasone Hfi 580

Ultrasone Hfi 780

I have no amp.

I can have M50s for 160$    

Hmm why are the ultrasones that much? Usually, if you wait long enough, they fall to the $130-180 range on Amazon (at least for Americans).  I think there are better options in the <$300 range, including some higher end ultrasones among others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back