++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 7, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #21,916 of 29,490
Quote:
it is only for use at home. What do you have to say about the AKG? the HD518 are much better than the AKG?
Another thing I wanted to ask, the brand Sennheiser is very familiar, AKG is not much. ie at least in my country few people have AKG (even little) like to know why? performance / price AKG is bad?

Any chance you could add your country in your community profile?
I'm going to guess the Senn HD518 are a good choice for an unamped headphone jack, over the AKG K240.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #21,917 of 29,490
Quote:
Any chance you could add your country in your community profile?
I'm going to guess the Senn HD518 are a good choice for an unamped headphone jack, over the AKG K240.

I find my K240M's not sounding that bad, even compared to the HD600. Thus it's hard to believe HD518 would be muuch better than K240. But who knows, haven't heard either.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #21,918 of 29,490
Hey guys
I'm looking for a headphone and amp combo for around $300
I need closed cans because I often work in quiet places such as the library.
I therefore also need a portable amp, and preferably not bulky/heavy headphones.
I listen to a mix of classical, orchestral/movie soundtracks, and some rock/alternative.
I will be using either an iPhone or my pc as a source.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Bummp

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #21,919 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys
I'm looking for a headphone and amp combo for around $300
I need closed cans because I often work in quiet places such as the library.
I therefore also need a portable amp, and preferably not bulky/heavy headphones.
I listen to a mix of classical, orchestral/movie soundtracks, and some rock/alternative.
I will be using either an iPhone or my pc as a source.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

If your PC only has built-in audio, at least get an Asus Xonar DG ($25) sound card, should improve the audio quality of whatever headphones you get.
Headphones?

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #21,920 of 29,490
Quote:
Highlaw, look into the Ultrasone HFI-780 or Pro 750, both balanced and with impactful bass that doesn't bleed into the rest of the frequency range.

I'm reading some mixed opinions about those. I'm also worried about the plastic build (my HD555's have some tape from falling over the years), isn't cracking an issue?

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #21,921 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm reading some mixed opinions about those. I'm also worried about the plastic build (my HD555's have some tape from falling over the years), isn't cracking an issue?

They have excellent build quality, among the best. Don't be fooled by the presence of plastic, as it is very high quality industrial plastic used on their construction. Cracking or any physical damage of the sort is something you need not worry about. Stomping them and driving over them might be an issue, though :)

In the event you want to adjust clamping, you can stretch or compress the headband without worrying about damaging the headphones since there is a metal strip that goes through the headband.

Ultrasones in general handle EDM and any bass emphasized genres very well, along with having quite a lot of clarity, with the models I suggested being more balanced and at the same time engaging.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #21,922 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Highlaw, look into the Ultrasone HFI-780 or Pro 750, both balanced and with impactful bass that doesn't bleed into the rest of the frequency range.

The HD 555 are cans with cracking issues.  Seems to have affected the entire HD 5x5 series.  The newer HD 5x8 series are far better in this regard.

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #21,923 of 29,490
I'm new to high-end headphones, and I need some help on which headphones to get :)
My birthday is in a few days, and i have been wanting to get some headphones for awhile now.
My budget is $100. (Or $110 on Amazon because i have a $10 giftcard.)

I have tried ATH M50's and DT 770 Pro's (My bothers have them) and I liked both sound wise. The M50's hurt my ears after a bit, and the 770's were super comfortable.

I will be using my laptop primarily (Asus G73JH) and sometimes my iPhone 4.
I would rather have closed, but open/semi-open are fine.
I listen to most types of music, except for country and dubstep.
I don't really have a sound preference, although i would like some bass, but not overwhelming.

I've been looking at the following, but i can't choose:

There may have been some other i left out, but as you can see I don't know what to get...
Comparability is a big factor for me. I don't know if i would need/want an amp for some of these either.

Thanks for all the help!

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #21,924 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm new to high-end headphones, and I need some help on which headphones to get
smily_headphones1.gif

My birthday is in a few days, and i have been wanting to get some headphones for awhile now.
My budget is $100. (Or $110 on Amazon because i have a $10 giftcard.)
I have tried ATH M50's and DT 770 Pro's (My bothers have them) and I liked both sound wise. The M50's hurt my ears after a bit, and the 770's were super comfortable.
I will be using my laptop primarily (Asus G73JH) and sometimes my iPhone 4.
I would rather have closed, but open/semi-open are fine.
I listen to most types of music, except for country and dubstep.
I don't really have a sound preference, although i would like some bass, but not overwhelming.
I've been looking at the following, but i can't choose:
  1. Phillips Citiscape Uptown ($83, possibly with a Fiio E6 for $107. Plus i like how they look.)
  2. Superlux HD668B ($49 on Amazon, possibly cheaper somewhere else. Probably would get a portable amp with these as well.)
  3. Brainwavz HM5 ($95 shipped)
  4. Grado SR80i ($95)
  5. ATH-AD700 ($87 Damaged Packaging, $100 new)
There may have been some other i left out, but as you can see I don't know what to get...
Comparability is a big factor for me. I don't know if i would need/want an amp for some of these either.
Thanks for all the help!

Add the Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones to your list, $78.61 + $5.99 shipping, at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-HSR-1000-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones/dp/B006Y2BI04

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #21,925 of 29,490
I'm looking for some good headphones with nice insulation and not that bad sound leakage (a bit is okay.) I'm still in school so I need them to be somewhat portable.
Budget: $250
I have Sennheiser HD-25 1 II's right now and they're just not cutting it.
I want something good for the metal core genre and also fairly decent in hip-hop/electronic music.
I saw the AKG k167 Tiesto's and they seem pretty good.
Any input would be very much appreciated.

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #21,926 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for some good headphones with nice insulation and not that bad sound leakage (a bit is okay.) I'm still in school so I need them to be somewhat portable.
Budget: $250
I have Sennheiser HD-25 1 II's right now and they're just not cutting it.
I want something good for the metal core genre and also fairly decent in hip-hop/electronic music.
I saw the AKG k167 Tiesto's and they seem pretty good.
Any input would be very much appreciated.

The HD25-1 II are quite good for their price point. So, given your specified budget, you might want to look into the Ultrasone Pro 750, excellent for EDM, metal and bass emphasized genres. It's a set with a lot of clarity due to their titanium drivers, with present quality bass that's not overpowering nor does it bleed into the rest of the frequency genre, and it's fast enough to handle metal, a genre that benefits from fast transients.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #21,927 of 29,490
The HD25-1 II are quite good for their price point. So, given your specified budget, you might want to look into the Ultrasone Pro 750, excellent for EDM, metal and bass emphasized genres. It's a set with a lot of clarity due to their titanium drivers, with present quality bass that's not overpowering nor does it bleed into the rest of the frequency genre, and it's fast enough to handle metal, a genre that benefits from fast transients.

Hmm, I'll look into those. Are they fairly good for mobile use? Also, how do you feel about the AKG k167's I mentioned for my preference?

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #21,928 of 29,490
Quote:
Hmm, I'll look into those. Are they fairly good for mobile use? Also, how do you feel about the AKG k167's I mentioned for my preference?

They can be used with phones and PMPs and will sound reasonable. However, adding a portable headphone amp will improve them further.

Haven't yet listened to the K167. You might want to head over the appreciation thread. But from impressions given, they should be well below the Pro 750 level, perhaps around the Pro 550 or HFI-580 level.

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #21,929 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

The Pro 750 loses its bass unless properly amped.  The HiFi 780 does not need an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back