++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 24, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #20,582 of 29,490
I'm looking to get one of these headphones the hd650/hd700/hd800/he 400 my current setup is pc>dragonfly>o2 amp>q701 right now  I'm looking for something to complement my setup or just improve it overall.. I love the synergy with my setup right now if the q701 had some sub bass that would be amazing. so yeah basically I'm not sure what I should do I'd rather purchase a second pair of headphones and keep my dac/amp setup any suggestions would be great. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #20,583 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking to get one of these headphones the hd650/hd700/hd800/he 400 my current setup is pc>dragonfly>o2 amp>q701 right now  I'm looking for something to complement my setup or just improve it overall.. I love the synergy with my setup right now if the q701 had some sub bass that would be amazing. so yeah basically I'm not sure what I should do I'd rather purchase a second pair of headphones and keep my dac/amp setup any suggestions would be great. 

HD800 to me is just in every aspect an upgraded q701.  if you want a complement, you could realistically look into the HE-500 which will sound musical but still be very refined. the 650 is also a complement, very dark and will be quite a bit more bassy than the q701.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #20,584 of 29,490
Quote:

The Sennheisers aren't exactly known for sub-bass. While I have no complaints about my HD 650, they're far from bass-head cans.

If those headphones you're considering, you can easily stick with your O2. That is, unless you prefer that "tube audio" sound.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #20,585 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Ball parking based on US street prices: Onkyo C-7030 CD deck (about $175 to $200); HiFiMan EF2A amp [with dac] ($169)--which mean you would then have enough to get AKG Q701, Beyer DT 880 or Senn HD 600 or 650.

If you want to go with an A/V receiver the Yamaha Aventage series have a good headphone section.

Thanks for the advice, i've had a look and the only way i could get the HiFiMan EF2A is buy ordering from an international seller.
do you know of any other good beginner amps i could buy in the uk?

Cheers in advance.

Have not idea what is available in the UK.  That said, I would have to go up in terms or US street prices to the Schiit Asgard, Matrix M-Stage and Audio-gd NFB-12.1

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #20,586 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
sq and genre preferences? open or closed? no one needs to know all the useless info you listed.

sorry
genre jazz, rock
closed
budget $80-200

Bassy cans and jazz do not mix well.  Without an amp, the Shure SRH 840, which still gives you a mid bass hump, might be right for you.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #20,587 of 29,490
Quote:

The O2 is a nice little amp, but its below class when paired with the middle two cans you listed.  The HD 650 would be my choice between the remaining two.  However, I would not expect a great deal of sub bass.  Just months ago I would recommend the D2000, D5000 and/or D7000 for that.  However, Denon has discontinued them.  Outside of these Denons (especially the D5000 & D7000), I can't think of any balanced mid-fi priced can that will give you your sub bass fix.  The next step down for sub-bass would find the HD 650 and DT 880.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #20,588 of 29,490
Quote:

The O2 is a nice little amp, but its below class when paired with the middle two cans you listed.  The HD 650 would be my choice between the remaining two.  However, I would not expect a great deal of sub bass.  Just months ago I would recommend the D2000, D5000 and/or D7000 for that.  However, Denon has discontinued them.  Outside of these Denons (especially the D5000 & D7000), I can't think of any balanced mid-fi priced can that will give you your sub bass fix.  The next step down for sub-bass would find the HD 650 and DT 880.

I don't understand the difference between the hd650 and q701 which do you believe has better imaging ?

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #20,589 of 29,490
Hey dudes and dudettes,

Background:
    I'm looking for a general purpose headphone $250 max. I'm not rich. Gotta sell some shiet to justify purchase. I don't mind used.
    I come from earphones. I like plenty of detail but hate sibilance, I was never satisfied with the bass of BA drivers, need dynamics' oomph.  

TDK EB950 - u-shape, good detail but non-sibilant, non-obtrusive mid bass hump, extends low (~20Hz)
    UE TF10 - v-shape, detailed, engaging, fun, energetic
    Vsonic GR06 - non-fatiguing, good cord for portable use
    Brainwavz R1(new!) - impactful bass (tight enough with amp), decent detail, big soundstage

Dislikes:
    Brainwavz B2 - harsh treble, sibilant, cold, drummers on vacation, oh wait drummer's back but he's only got cymbals with bells and whistles too! 
    Xears TD II / III - every bass note sounds the same, sometimes too much bass

Amp:
   E10, E6, cMoyBB

Portability:
   Unnecessary

Comfort:
   Circumaural, I've got big ears (think Obama.) I want more clamping force than T50RP, 
   open/closed, don't care much, maybe open's better but need bass

I don't have a lot of headphones to compare to, sorry. I've used the stock T50RP, not enough detail or bass. 
I like U/V-shaped fun sig with bass > treble. Would like decent sub bass. I listen for long stretches, don't want to be too fatiguing.
I like fun over analytical, NEED decent detail, hate cold and boring. TF10's are my upper limit for detail, anymore crispness and I won't be listening for more than 10 min.

Me was eyeing DT990 Pro, see some around $165 used but I'm worried if it's too much detail. Are the straight cords worth +$50 for dt990 premium?
Any other suggestions are welcome.

I hope I answered most needed info on preference.
Cheers

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #20,590 of 29,490
Quote:
Have not idea what is available in the UK.  That said, I would have to go up in terms or US street prices to the Schiit Asgard, Matrix M-Stage and Audio-gd NFB-12.1

Thanks again for the advice.
Turns out the choice of beginner desktop amps in the UK is pretty measly so i'll have to order either the Matrix M-Stage or the Hifiman EF2A from an international seller on ebay.  

Is one significantly better than the other or should i Just go for the best price.

Cheers in advance.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #20,591 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again for the advice.
Turns out the choice of beginner desktop amps in the UK is pretty measly so i'll have to order either the Matrix M-Stage or the Hifiman EF2A from an international seller on ebay.  

Is one significantly better than the other or should i Just go for the best price.

Cheers in advance.

They are different.  In the US the EF2A is much less expensive.  It alone has a DAC.  It is a hyrid--so it has a semi tubby sound.

The solid state M-Stage is a better amp that comes in several flavors, which allows some customization.  Check out TamAudio, which appears to ship the M-Stage to the UK.  See:

http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=111

and

http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #20,592 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

I don't understand the difference between the hd650 and q701 which do you believe has better imaging ?

The Q701 has more detailed imaging, but some find it too artificially spread across the sound stage.  In the end their sound signatures are simply very different.  I think Tyll captures much of what the HD 650 is in his short write up naming them a member of his Wall of Fame:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-open

The HD 650 is a can that scales up with each level of better amps that are paired with it--although you'll have to pick the right ones at each level.

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #20,593 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey dudes and dudettes,

Background:
    I'm looking for a general purpose headphone $250 max. I'm not rich. Gotta sell some shiet to justify purchase. I don't mind used.
    I come from earphones. I like plenty of detail but hate sibilance, I was never satisfied with the bass of BA drivers, need dynamics' oomph.  

TDK EB950 - u-shape, good detail but non-sibilant, non-obtrusive mid bass hump, extends low (~20Hz)
    UE TF10 - v-shape, detailed, engaging, fun, energetic
    Vsonic GR06 - non-fatiguing, good cord for portable use
    Brainwavz R1(new!) - impactful bass (tight enough with amp), decent detail, big soundstage

Dislikes:
    Brainwavz B2 - harsh treble, sibilant, cold, drummers on vacation, oh wait drummer's back but he's only got cymbals with bells and whistles too! 
    Xears TD II / III - every bass note sounds the same, sometimes too much bass

Amp:
   E10, E6, cMoyBB

Portability:
   Unnecessary

Comfort:
   Circumaural, I've got big ears (think Obama.) I want more clamping force than T50RP, 
   open/closed, don't care much, maybe open's better but need bass

I don't have a lot of headphones to compare to, sorry. I've used the stock T50RP, not enough detail or bass. 
I like U/V-shaped fun sig with bass > treble. Would like decent sub bass. I listen for long stretches, don't want to be too fatiguing.
I like fun over analytical, NEED decent detail, hate cold and boring. TF10's are my upper limit for detail, anymore crispness and I won't be listening for more than 10 min.

Me was eyeing DT990 Pro, see some around $165 used but I'm worried if it's too much detail. Are the straight cords worth +$50 for dt990 premium?
Any other suggestions are welcome.

I hope I answered most needed info on preference.
Cheers

Don't know any of your favorites (are they all IEM's?), but you are probably on the right track with some flavor of DT 770 or DT 990.  Check the "Deals" thread in this section of the forum.  There is group buy of the DT 990 being discussed there and time is short.

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #20,594 of 29,490
Quote:
Sorry--most (maybe all) of us don't know your speakers.  Please describe them and their sound signature?

Hey KG - They're very much like the Triple Fi 10's - laid back in the treble, warm midrange, decent bass.

I've auditioned a bunch of headphones now, from GS1000 to M50 - and the only that sounds "similar" to what I'm after is the Beyerdynamic DT770Pro (the black ones) - are there any others you guys could recommend?

EDIT: just saw your recommendation above - I found the DT990's too crashy. I know, I live in a very detailed world (haha) - but they overemphasised every cymbal hit in every song (and made Paloma Faith and Adele almost excrutiating to listen to)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back