++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 18, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #20,356 of 29,490
Sup guys, looking to buy high quality headphones for the first time and I'm currently looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros. Before I was looking at the DT 770s but I found a link to the 990s for about $170: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/92807-REG/Beyerdynamic_459038_DT_990_PRO_Studio.html

From what I've read, I need to get an amp to power these headphones, so that's why I'm asking you guys for suggestions on which amp I should get.

Also, how do I hook up an amp? Do I just plug it into the headphone port on my Macbook?

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #20,357 of 29,490
Last question I have.

From what I see, it's hard to get headphones that are good with both bass and trance/D&B. Any suggestions between the Custom One Pro, HFI-780, and HFI Pro 750? From reading around it seems that the 750s are better with Trance but the 780 is better with bass (Dubstep, Electronica) and the Custom One Pros are just more comfortable but does not perform as good as both HFI headphones.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #20,358 of 29,490
Quote:
Sup guys, looking to buy high quality headphones for the first time and I'm currently looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros. Before I was looking at the DT 770s but I found a link to the 990s for about $170: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/92807-REG/Beyerdynamic_459038_DT_990_PRO_Studio.html

From what I've read, I need to get an amp to power these headphones, so that's why I'm asking you guys for suggestions on which amp I should get.

Also, how do I hook up an amp? Do I just plug it into the headphone port on my Macbook?

I used the 32-Ohm version for two years with no amp because they don't need one with a reasonable source. That 250-Ohm version at B&H will likely benefit from additional amplification. I think it's worth trying without an amp, unless you want an amp just to have one ... like I did.

If you get an amp with no DAC, you just plug into the headphone jack.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #20,359 of 29,490
Quote:

Yes, you can plug it into you headphone jack.
Or get a DAC/amp and plug it into your USB or S/PDIF optical port (if you have an optical port?).
Did you have an budget?

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #20,360 of 29,490
Hey everyone, just a quick question I felt didn't warrant a whole new thread

I was thinking of parting with my d5000's and getting a pair of hifiman's he400's. Just to give a ortho pair of cans a go, and see how they compare with my Denon's

My question here is, I only have the Stepdance as a amp. I was wondering if that would be powerful enough to drive the he400's

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #20,361 of 29,490
Quote:

I used the 32-Ohm version for two years with no amp because they don't need one with a reasonable source. That 250-Ohm version at B&H will likely benefit from additional amplification. I think it's worth trying without an amp, unless you want an amp just to have one ... like I did.

If you get an amp with no DAC, you just plug into the headphone jack.

Quote:
Yes, you can plug it into you headphone jack.
Or get a DAC/amp and plug it into your USB or S/PDIF optical port (if you have an optical port?).
Did you have an budget?

I decided to get the DT 770s again (250 ohms) since they're closed and have isolation.

Budget for the amp? I was thinking $100 at the most.

My Macbook doesn't have an optical port btw.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #20,362 of 29,490
So guys I was hoping to get some advice on a new build I want to buy. I'm thinking about getting the hifi-man he400's (since they seem to be the best headphones in the 400 range) and a dac/amp. Now I want this build to be portable, so I am pretty sure I am going to end up pairing it with the fiio e17 (or if someone can provide a better alternative for the price). Pretty much now all I need is an mp3 or flac player, I would like some additional advice on connecting the amp to the mp3 player on the account that I want to try and avoid dual amping and getting the best sound possible. Would I also need to invest in some high quality cables to replace the stock ones? Thanks, in advance.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #20,363 of 29,490
Quote:
So guys I was hoping to get some advice on a new build I want to buy. I'm thinking about getting the hifi-man he400's (since they seem to be the best headphones in the 400 range) and a dac/amp. Now I want this build to be portable, so I am pretty sure I am going to end up pairing it with the fiio e17 (or if someone can provide a better alternative for the price). Pretty much now all I need is an mp3 or flac player, I would like some additional advice on connecting the amp to the mp3 player on the account that I want to try and avoid dual amping and getting the best sound possible. Would I also need to invest in some high quality cables to replace the stock ones? Thanks, in advance.

The Hifiman cans are open afaik, and thus would leak a ton and let in outside noise, making them less than ideal for portable use. If you want the same type of driver structure, I think the Fostex T50rp are closed, and with some modding are supposed to be fantastic. There's an already modded pair in the FS/FT Headphone forum for $200, I'd jump on that for a nice portable, then grab a decent player that supports a line-out dock to go with the amp. I know apple players can do that, don't know what others do.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #20,364 of 29,490
Thanks for the advice, I have heard that the fostex sound really good with mods but I also read that they do have some sound leakage as well. And to be completely honest I plan to use these headphones not just on the road but at home as well. I'll probably start looking for a player that supports line out dock.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #20,365 of 29,490
Quote:
Last question I have.

From what I see, it's hard to get headphones that are good with both bass and trance/D&B. Any suggestions between the Custom One Pro, HFI-780, and HFI Pro 750? From reading around it seems that the 750s are better with Trance but the 780 is better with bass (Dubstep, Electronica) and the Custom One Pros are just more comfortable but does not perform as good as both HFI headphones.

First of all there is notUltrasone "HIFI Pro 750"; it's the Pro 750.  Second --have you checked the buying guides linked in the opening post to this thread?  Third--the Pro 750 is better in every way than the (also good) HiFi 780.  The only reasons to get the 780 over the 750 are your limited budget or you need a can that can be used from a portable device or stock computers without an amp.  The 750 needs an amp.

I have no direct knowledge of the Custom One Pro, which I understand is a new Beyer can.

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #20,366 of 29,490
Quote:
First of all there is notUltrasone "HIFI Pro 750"; it's the Pro 750.  Second --have you checked the buying guides linked in the opening post to this thread?  Third--the Pro 750 is better in every way than the (also good) HiFi 780.  The only reasons to get the 780 over the 750 are your limited budget or you need a can that can be used from a portable device or stock computers without an amp.  The 750 needs an amp.

I have no direct knowledge of the Custom One Pro, which I understand is a new Beyer can.

i agree with this, i feel the pro 750 is a sweet spot in the mid-fi ultrasone line-up, the most refinement that i've found in the hfi or pro line. i'm not sure if they NEED an amp, they're have an impedance of 40 ohms which honestly doesn't seem that hard to drive. however, i listened to them through an ef-5 which can drive most dynamics.

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #20,367 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:

i agree with this, i feel the pro 750 is a sweet spot in the mid-fi ultrasone line-up, the most refinement that i've found in the hfi or pro line. i'm not sure if they NEED an amp, they're have an impedance of 40 ohms which honestly doesn't seem that hard to drive. however, i listened to them through an ef-5 which can drive most dynamics.

Without adequate amping, the 750 loses its bass.  Even a couple Onkyo A/V receivers I tried have failed to push them adequately.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #20,368 of 29,490
Quote:
Based on multiple posts for a extended period of time, most of us that frequent this thread to offer advice are not big fans of active noise canceling cans.  The best i can do is to refer you to Tyll's Wall of Fame for this type of headphone:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-noise-canceling

Hi KG Jag

Thanks for the reply.

If I remove the need for noise cancelling. As I've never had it before, so probably don't really need it.

What are the best options for comfort, minimal sound leakage, really good isolation, strong build quality and a good overall sound ?

many thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back