++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #20,071 of 29,490
Quote:
I have the JDS Labs cMoy BB v.2.03 Rechargeable 2x9V and it drives my 250ohm Dt 880s rather nicely. Granted a c421 or Schiit Asgard would do a better job, but for a Sub 100 Amp I find it  very satisfactory!

Good to hear. I haven't had a chance to try it, but it's on my list for next time I need to buy a cheap portable amp.

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #20,072 of 29,490
Quote:
If you don't require precise sound, then the Shure840 would be a nice all-rounder to pick up. The HD558 would be another good choice and is super comfortable. There are some refurbs on amazon selling for $106 after shipping.

Went with the HD 558 and just got them today. Doesn't sound quite as good as the TF10, but it's hell of a lot more comfortable for home use.

Unsurprisingly, it's harder to drive than the TF10. Where before 50% volume on my iPhone was as much as I needed on the TF10, it's closer to 80% on the HD 558. So should I get an amp for it?

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #20,073 of 29,490
Quote:
Went with the HD 558 and just got them today. Doesn't sound quite as good as the TF10, but it's hell of a lot more comfortable for home use.

Unsurprisingly, it's harder to drive than the TF10. Where before 50% volume on my iPhone was as much as I needed on the TF10, it's closer to 80% on the HD 558. So should I get an amp for it?

I have not used the TF10 so I don't know exactly how they differ in sound. Hopefully you are enjoying them and the excellent comfort. 
An amp will definitely help. It will give you more volume and will actually add just a little to the quantity and quality of the bass.

If you feel comfortable you can also look up the foam mod for the HD558 which will make it very similar to the HD598.

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #20,074 of 29,490
Quote:
I have not used the TF10 so I don't know exactly how they differ in sound. Hopefully you are enjoying them and the excellent comfort. 
An amp will definitely help. It will give you more volume and will actually add just a little to the quantity and quality of the bass.

If you feel comfortable you can also look up the foam mod for the HD558 which will make it very similar to the HD598.

They sound great, no doubt. Thanks for all the help.

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #20,075 of 29,490
Quote:

Agreed--an amp will help with volume and sound quality--including sound stage I bet.

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #20,077 of 29,490
Ok, I'm searching for a start of my search for a headphone for over more than one year now since I finished my amplifier project.
I have build a Twisted Pear Audio Buffallo III DAC with a Hypex SMPS NCore 400.
For the headphone option I added a Ventus EZ Headphone AMP.
I never added the prices but I think I have spend a little 5000 euro's for the kits to complete it. As I've been told and, as I tend to believe, this must represent an installation of about 10,000 euro's if you should buy it in store.

So I'm searching for a compatible headphone. 
I listen to all kinds of music. I love a tight base and a clean sound with much detail. I can really appriciate accoustic and jazz music but on time I like electronic music like Massive Attack.

The problem I have is that I would want to try about 5 headphone manufacturer on my pre-amp where I read many things about. But they are of all different suppliers and so I'm unable to compare them to each other at the same time.....

I'm thinking about Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Grado, AKG; I don't know!

Who can advise me? :)

Best Regards,

Jordo

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #20,078 of 29,490
Hi All,

Had a search and couldn't find an answer...

I need a set of full size headphones to replace my speakers when I move out - am open to amp/headphone combos.

I am looking for a set that match or closely align to the sound signature of my Triple Fi 10's - this is to prevent too much adjustment when I go out and when I come home (and because I like the signature)

Cheers in advance!

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #20,079 of 29,490
I like the basic idea.  However, I think there already is--or at least was--such a thread.  Not sure how popular it is/was.

In fact about 7 or 8 monts ago, I tried to start such a thread and was told it already existed.

Well I might try to get it off the ground again. Think we just need to get a couple good contributors like Joker for example to keep it bumped up all the time with good info like this thread.

We'll see.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #20,080 of 29,490
Could anyone recommend a tube headphone amp that will also run a pair of efficient speakers? To be used with either Hifiman 500 or Audeze LCD-2. I know the Bottlehead S.E.X. will do it but I'm not sure I have the skill to build one of those. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #20,082 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok, I'm searching for a start of my search for a headphone for over more than one year now since I finished my amplifier project.
I have build a Twisted Pear Audio Buffallo III DAC with a Hypex SMPS NCore 400.
For the headphone option I added a Ventus EZ Headphone AMP.
I never added the prices but I think I have spend a little 5000 euro's for the kits to complete it. As I've been told and, as I tend to believe, this must represent an installation of about 10,000 euro's if you should buy it in store.

So I'm searching for a compatible headphone. 
I listen to all kinds of music. I love a tight base and a clean sound with much detail. I can really appriciate accoustic and jazz music but on time I like electronic music like Massive Attack.

The problem I have is that I would want to try about 5 headphone manufacturer on my pre-amp where I read many things about. But they are of all different suppliers and so I'm unable to compare them to each other at the same time.....

I'm thinking about Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Grado, AKG; I don't know!

Who can advise me? :)

Best Regards,

Jordo

All of those are excellent brands and each offers some outstanding (as well as not so outstanding) cans.  Of course I can't say what will be the best pairing with your equipment.  What is your headphone budget?

My gut is telling me that you may be head for Beyer DT 880 or T1 or Senn with a number higher than 600.  On the other hand it could just be the Mexican food.

Can your rig push planars?  [I'm guessing "yes".] 

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #20,083 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi All,

Had a search and couldn't find an answer...

I need a set of full size headphones to replace my speakers when I move out - am open to amp/headphone combos.

I am looking for a set that match or closely align to the sound signature of my Triple Fi 10's - this is to prevent too much adjustment when I go out and when I come home (and because I like the signature)

Cheers in advance!

Sorry--most (maybe all) of us don't know your speakers.  Please describe them and their sound signature?

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #20,084 of 29,490
Quote:
Could anyone recommend a tube headphone amp that will also run a pair of efficient speakers? To be used with either Hifiman 500 or Audeze LCD-2. I know the Bottlehead S.E.X. will do it but I'm not sure I have the skill to build one of those. 

You'll probably have better luck getting quality responses in the Headphone Amps (full sized) section of the forum.

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #20,085 of 29,490
All of those are excellent brands and each offers some outstanding (as well as not so outstanding) cans.  Of course I can't say what will be the best pairing with your equipment.  What is your headphone budget?

My gut is telling me that you may be head for Beyer DT 880 or T1 or Senn with a number higher than 600.  On the other hand it could just be the Mexican food.

Can your rig push planars?  [I'm guessing "yes".] 

Hi, 

Thank you for your reply.
I will take a look at those you suggested. 
I think that if I spend around 500 euro's I must get me some good gear :)

Planars are those electrostatics? I'm not sure. I have been told that my speaker amplifiers are not the best for that purpose but maybe the Ventus EZ Headphone amp is. They're advertised as such; "Driving the most demanding Headphones".
But I'm really thrilled by the sounds of planars!
So what can you reccommend me on that one?

Jordo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back