++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 14, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #19,036 of 29,490
Hi all. Sorry to bother you, but I might need help and people at ER sent me here...

Got the MEE CW31's. I wouldn't necessarily recommend as first choice now to anyone.

Don't get me wrong, they really are good, especially for $20 I got em for. Classical music, hard rock and jazz sound sublime and fantastic (Credence, AC/DC, Scorpions, RAM,Yo Yo Ma, Mozart, Debussy, Nora Jones, Quincy Jones, Insocnito...), BUT when i try one the ones I really wanna hear- Dream T and Guardians, they just aren't precise enough. Thers too much going one, lots of different sounds at same time, and they don't get full credit (whilst not using EQ). 

I have listened them for about 15h now, got em day before yesterday (now's probably two days), and maybe its the burn-in and they will get better in time. 
My Q is: is there right method to do this? 

If I'm wrong on something, please do point your finger at me and laugh out loud... or correct me, any will do 
biggrin.gif

P.S. People at ER didn't sent me here, they sent me to psychiatrist. They dont run fast, tho..

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #19,037 of 29,490
Quote:
K so first post here. I'm looking for some over the ear/on ear headphones. Not sure about open or closed as both have their ups and downs and i'll be using them constantly. Even in public transport and town etc but sometimes hearing sounds could be a good thing. Kind of worried about the sound quality reduction?

I listen to everything from early 1900 jazz and blues to death metal, alternative, trip hop, stoner rock, funk etc etc.
Sound quality is important but dont really care for too much bass drowning stuff out. Also i have slight hearing damage in the middle decibel range and hyper acusis which is hyper sensitive hearing to loud sounds (too many concerts in a row without plugs)

My price range is about 100-150 ish, don't really wanna spend over 200.

Cheers! :D

The best I can do is to recommend a good all around can that should work with the great variety of music you enjoy--Shure SRH 840. {Based on U.S. street prices.]

You don't want open cans--they leak sound--for use in public.  With your hearing issue, you need to stay away from any can with recessed mids (like the M50 or DT 770).

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #19,038 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all. Sorry to bother you, but I might need help and people at ER sent me here...

Got the MEE CW31's. I wouldn't necessarily recommend as first choice now to anyone.

Don't get me wrong, they really are good, especially for $20 I got em for. Classical music, hard rock and jazz sound sublime and fantastic (Credence, AC/DC, Scorpions, RAM,Yo Yo Ma, Mozart, Debussy, Nora Jones, Quincy Jones, Insocnito...), BUT when i try one the ones I really wanna hear- Dream T and Guardians, they just aren't precise enough. Thers too much going one, lots of different sounds at same time, and they don't get full credit (whilst not using EQ). 

I have listened them for about 15h now, got em day before yesterday (now's probably two days), and maybe its the burn-in and they will get better in time. 
My Q is: is there right method to do this? 

If I'm wrong on something, please do point your finger at me and laugh out loud... or correct me, any will do 
biggrin.gif

P.S. People at ER didn't sent me here, they sent me to psychiatrist. They dont run fast, tho..

If your are looking for another pair of IEM's or an opinion on your IEM choice, you're in the wrong section of the forum.  This section and thread deals with full sized headphones.

If a want a recommendation abut a full sized headphone, you'll have to tell us:

What is your budget?

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #19,039 of 29,490
Quote:
A Good Gaming/Music Headphones Price Range from 80-150$.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

What sound card or other set-up do you have with whatever you use to play your games?

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #19,040 of 29,490
About 65% music 35% gaming. Main games playing is battlefield 3 and minecraft.

Price range 100$ if have mic 

80$ if they don't have a mic.

Closed can preferably.

I have this soundcard :http://www.amazon.com/Express-Blaster-Titanium-Fatal1ty-Champion/dp/B001BDPLJA

Music I will be listening to mostly is rap/dubstep/rock/metal almost all genres

I don't plan on using these outside.

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #19,041 of 29,490
Quote:

The comfort thing is noted; I'm going to check out the ones you recommended at my local Guitar Center this afternoon.

Will the discomfort on the M50s be alleviated by swapping out the OEM pads for the Shure 840 pads (or the 940 Velour)?  I've read that they slightly bring out the mids and tone down the bass a tad.  If those are the only sound changes, on top of having a more comfortable set of cans, that would be doable as well.

Thanks again for the prompt responses!

So I was able to go to a local hi-fi store and unfortunately, they didn't have any of the ones you recommended.  I did try the AKG 240 and another AKG I can't remember, the Beyerdynamic DT 660 and a Sennheiser 558.  Here are my impressions

Comfort-wise, I like the DT660 the best, it fit my ears and the pads were soft.  I felt that the sound was muted though.  I liked the sound out of the 240 the best, but that's a semi-open headset and I don't like that it has barely any isolation and the it wasn't that comfortable.  Finally, didn't really like the Sennheiser.

any more recommendations?  I can't find any more stores that might have headphones (I'll try Best Buy again)

Help, I don't want to make another blind purchase!

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #19,042 of 29,490
Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking for advice re headphones. My home audio equipment is currently nil. My husband wears a hearing aid and the latest tests confirm more hearing loss. He's played in a lot of bands and is serious about his music. I have some hearing loss as well though not enough to warrant aids. 

We don't watch tv or dvd's anymore because we can't hear the sound of voices well enough. Although we have an older crt model tv, I believe the new lcd tv's deliver even worse sound quality. Besides, we have a small living room and I don't want it junked up with multiple speakers.

Hence this enquiry about headphones. I can spend up to $2k on a receiver and 2xheadphones with perhaps one speaker in front of the tv. I know this is a low spend. Can it be done? I'm not keen on wireless and would like to run permanent wires under the floor to the seating area, this can be done.

This site recommends an inexpensive home audio player to enable fixed outlets to be used with an lcd tv.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Connecting-TV-Listening-Devices-for-People-With-Hearing-Loss&id=7022421

My husband is worried that headphones can contribute to hearing loss and accidents can happen, it happened to a friend of ours who was using headphones to listen to tv. She got confused about why they didn't appear to be working and fiddled with the tv and blasted her ears.

I'm just at the beginning of trying to identify the equipment set up we need, any comments will be very helpful and I'll try to understand the replies.

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #19,044 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking for advice re headphones. My home audio equipment is currently nil. My husband wears a hearing aid and the latest tests confirm more hearing loss. He's played in a lot of bands and is serious about his music. I have some hearing loss as well though not enough to warrant aids. 

We don't watch tv or dvd's anymore because we can't hear the sound of voices well enough. Although we have an older crt model tv, I believe the new lcd tv's deliver even worse sound quality. Besides, we have a small living room and I don't want it junked up with multiple speakers.

Hence this enquiry about headphones. I can spend up to $2k on a receiver and 2xheadphones with perhaps one speaker in front of the tv. I know this is a low spend. Can it be done? I'm not keen on wireless and would like to run permanent wires under the floor to the seating area, this can be done.

This site recommends an inexpensive home audio player to enable fixed outlets to be used with an lcd tv.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Connecting-TV-Listening-Devices-for-People-With-Hearing-Loss&id=7022421

My husband is worried that headphones can contribute to hearing loss and accidents can happen, it happened to a friend of ours who was using headphones to listen to tv. She got confused about why they didn't appear to be working and fiddled with the tv and blasted her ears.

I'm just at the beginning of trying to identify the equipment set up we need, any comments will be very helpful and I'll try to understand the replies.

Hi Lyndy--I hope that you get some accurate and helpful answers to your questions.  Maybe someone here can provide some help.  However, this thread pertains to full sized headphones--and that appears to be way to too narrow an area for a comprehensive answer to all or most of what you have asked.  In addition none of us (from what I can ascertain) is even remotely qualified to give you any--and especially long distance--assistance with hearing health issues.  That said maybe someone who has some related experience can share what works and/or doesn't work for them or those close to them.

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #19,048 of 29,490
Hi again to the forums. After found this thread I spent a fair amount of reading innerfidelities reviews and watched headfi's youtube channel as well as digging deeper into reviews on this site for headphones. After some consideration I decided to have a closer look at 4 headphone types.

Sennheiser HD650
AKG 550
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Shure SRH840

The reason why I decided to take a closer look at those is because of my music preference. Mostly I listen to music at home on my MacBook Pro (iTunes or web radio). Whilst on the move music mostly comes from my Bold 9780 or my iPod 3rd or last generation. If there's a difference I don't know.

My music profile could be described as follows. I refrain fro using genres as I honestly have to admit suck at determine them all. So a couple of artists might help here. 

AC/DC
Bruce Springsteen
Neil Young
Neil Diamond
Counting Crows and other country singers
Eminem and Blue Scholars
various artists from the ChillOut session series (laid back - HD650)
Amy MacDonald
Biffy Clyro
Jamiroquai
Bit of Jay-Z and Kayne West
Reaggaeton music
and Arabic music as well as Arabic dance music
progressive house

Being a 'normal' I suppose listener so far I found the iPod earpads very nice and they delivered an ok sound. Still decided to treat myself to AKG 315s for being out and about. The cable length of 1 meter proves to be a bit too short for me so they will be used in the gym. The headphones I am looking to buy I tend to think of as clothes. As mentioned above and everywhere on the board I know understand that headphones have a character and that some headphones excel at other things than others. So instead of trying to buy only one headphone I'm looking to buy at least two.

This is what my process of thought is/was.

For dance music, Reggaeton outlined above I don't mind a bit of oomph. The Audiotechnica and Shure SRH840 sound like they can do the job here. Even for rock I can imagine that those could do a good job there. For chill out and country I wouldn't mind the sound of the HD650 from Sennheiser or AKG 550. Classical music makes only for 5% of my listening if at all. Considering a few operas included. All in all I'm pretty happy with the choice so far and the prices look very good to me to given the fact tht I don't consider to have super audio equipment.

To provide more information as to where I intend to listen to music this will be 80% at home on my MacBook Pro whilst out and about the Bold 9780 and or iPod 3rd or last gen will provide the music in at least 250kb/s MP3 format. I started to import CD content with 320kbs and tend to stick to that. If in nostalgia mode a Sony MD R91 or MZ-RH1 will be used. I love to walk for hours. This can as well be from 2 to 7 hours or even more. Whilst being on the move I really want to enjoy music as best as I can and apparently a mobile amplifier would help as well (and might even help me on my MacBook Pro to drive some headphones). Unfortunately I've just started reading about them on this site and the web so can't throw names in that might take my fancy or that I feel would be the best for me.

The painful bit. The price. Well as I don't have high tech equipment nor do I consider myself an absolute diehard music lover (in terms of need the best) and am just starting out exploring the world of non iPod earbuds I decided to set myself a price limit of around £220 per headphone. I believe this is quite realistic.

Dear community, based on these factors are you able to congratulate me on those narrowed down choices or could even recommend something else? I know it all comes down to personal preference but it would be appreciated nonetheless. And an important thing to mention as well. I don't have shops nearby where to test those headphones. I currently use a Steelseries Siberia V2 and those cups are quite comfortable for me to wear. Might be something worth mentioning. Your help is of course hugely appreciated.

I'm about to continue reading on mobile amps. Thank you.

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #19,049 of 29,490

Hello!

I'm new to the world of good audio and would like some advice. A friend recently exposed me to the wonderful world of FLAC audio I've only listened to mp3's and I was stunned! I immediately [well 3 months later] got myself a COWON audio player and was pretty pleased with the sound through the earphones they gave me. I want to upgrade to a good set of circum-aural headphones or even super-aural. I wanted a closed back set of headphones. 

However where my problem lies is I am only 18 and completely dependent[size=small] [/size]on my parents for any and all purchases. To make matters worse I'm Indian, we are not known for our extravagant spending. I could max out at $200 I was thinking the Sennheiser HD 449. Could you suggest some other good headphones in that price range? 

I listen maily to rock and a little bit of light metal (Metallica). I mainly listen to Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc.  For theses genres what would be the best

Thanks in advance! If I have made any grammatical errors I apologize, English is my first language but the quality of English education in India is not great. 

Cheers,
Arjun Krishnan

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #19,050 of 29,490
Shure srh840....got mine for 120 on amazon....contrary to what some have said they actually do fantastic with metal....listening to between the buried and me-specular reflection right now and they do incredible with fast paced music....even better with acoustic style music....it really in my opinion is the best deal for closed back sub 200 dollar headphones. Listened to pink Floyd flag files yesterday straight out of my laptop and it really is amazing what they can do...with 50 hours on them now they keep getting better to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back