++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #17,582 of 29,490
Quote:
Really? Are they strong on detail retrieval? I read such mixed reports about their laid-back sound.

Yes--I would say that they are good.  Other cans, such as the Q701 and DT 880 are better.  Fact is that if you want more bass and detail you will have to make a balanced choice--or extend your budget to $700 and get the HE-500.

Aug 7, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #17,583 of 29,490
@Empire1

You will definitely hear a difference in sound quality going from the QC15s to either Denon model. Both of them, along with many of the others on your list, will uncover another layer of the music that isn't found on the QC15s or other lower end phones.

As I suggested earlier it may be worthwhile to invest in a DAC/amp to compliment the headphones that you choose. Simply put, an amp will provide power so that the headphones can play at audible (or very loud) volume. A DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) works like a sound card to process the music and send it in a format that your headphones will be able to play. Both amps and DAcs can be colored like headphones, meaning that they can do better at processing certain frequencies and when they output the signal it may not be exactly like the signal that was input.

iPods generally don't have the best onboard DACs/amps, so a lot of people will recommend that you get something that you can use with your iPod. My experience is that out of my iPhone compared to the computer jack, and especially out of my HRT Headstreamer DAC, the sound changes in my Denon D5000. While I do not have a really refined ear, I tend to pay attention to the lower frequencies as I am a bit of a basshead. With the cleanest signal the bass notes sound distinct and there is a clear sense of definition in each one, however, as my source gets worse, the definition lessens and the bassy sounds a bit boomy. he differences are slight, but because I've heard many different headphones in the past 6 months, and because I've grown used to the sound from my DAC, I can tell that the quality is slightly compromised.

If you get one of the Denons (I know this is true for the D2000, also fairly sure the D600 is similar in this regard), you do not need an amp as the impedance for the D2000 is 25ohms (quite low) and the sensitivity is 106db. The impedance levels are also flat throught the spectrum so increase the power will not help in any particular area of sound frequency. Here is an example of the D2000 and the Sennheiser HD598 with a graph of their impedances.

While the HD598 are rated with an impedance of 50 ohms which is also pretty lower, they have a spike in the bass that requires power to properly produce those frequencies.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that you don't need an amp for the Denons. A DAC however, is a very wise investment. You will have enough power for the headphones, but the DAC will give you a cleaner signal. Even the budget cheapies will improve upon the iPod. Something like the FiiO E7 with a FiiO L3/L9 Line-out dock to hook your iPod up to it would work. The E7 is a decent performer, but there may be a few better options in a similar price range. The E7 is portable so it will be nicely compatible with your iPod. You can ask around/do some research for additional options.

Regarding the bass between the Denons, I have not heard the new D600, and as someone else mentioned, they are very new so few have really heard them. It might also answer your earlier question from your original post about the price dropping to $400 again soon, which I would say it is hard to know, but likely not. The D2000 are know as basshead cans, but they are very different than the Beats you've tried. It does not overemphasize the mid bass (~100-200hz) but instead has solid punch and extends down very low into subwoofer territory of the subbass. These are the frequencies that will really shake your head. Here is the frequency response graph which will give a general impression of the sound signature.

I do think that the D2000 are a nice headphone and a great first step into headphone land. Hopefully my rambling has helped you and not confused you more :D

Awesome! Thanks so much, that was exactly what I was looking for.
This confirms my purchase of the D600s (which physically looks pretty nice also).
Now I need a little more info on this DAC you mentioned. Searched it up on Wikipedia and got overloaded with info. From online pics, it looks like a thin box of some sort I can hook up to my iPod and then hook the headphone to it.

And for DACs, I'll probably have to more affordable options. A FiO looks good price wise - I've heard about them everywhere... are they really good? Any other recommendations for other DACs?
The price can't be too high since most of my funds are going into that $500 Denon :p

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #17,585 of 29,490
Hi, i just joined the forum and already posted a thread on my question right before i saw this thread (sorry). so my question is between the AKG K240 MKII and the Audio Technica M50S le's; which should i buy? My overall preferences are sound quality and comfort, please help!!

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #17,587 of 29,490
Quote:
Awesome! Thanks so much, that was exactly what I was looking for.
This confirms my purchase of the D600s (which physically looks pretty nice also).
Now I need a little more info on this DAC you mentioned. Searched it up on Wikipedia and got overloaded with info. From online pics, it looks like a thin box of some sort I can hook up to my iPod and then hook the headphone to it.
And for DACs, I'll probably have to more affordable options. A FiO looks good price wise - I've heard about them everywhere... are they really good? Any other recommendations for other DACs?
The price can't be too high since most of my funds are going into that $500 Denon :p

That's the problem.  Many will argue my point, but you get out what you put in.  I believe in spending a bit more on the source and a bit less on the cans.  For example, many of the fiios amps I have heard with an ipod and great files actually hurt the detail and faithful reproduction of the music more than no amp at all.  Yea it may go a bit louder but you have to spend a bit more or find a good budget amp to really not mess it up.

A low cost dac will maybe do a bit better than a laptop built in dac, but many times a cheap dac does not really let you hear what the engineers of those $500 cans really wanted you to hear.  But many feel it is best to use a low cost dac and amp and better phones rather than a mid level dac and amp and slightly less quality phones.  All that being said, things are getting better every day, to wit the Dragon Fly and HRT Headstreamer as well as super budget options like the Behringer UC-222 and JDS labs cmoy.

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #17,588 of 29,490
Quote:
Why?  It greatly opened up the D5000 & D7000 for me.  It also tamed just a tad of the brightness on all three.

I never tried it, but here were the two responses I received about the EF2A:

As the D5000 are only 25-Ohm, should really stay away from tubes, tubes provide voltage, but not as good at providing current.
The D5000 need very little voltage, but I'm sure prefer good current (solid state amp).
Hybrids like the Hifiman EF2A may or may not work well with 25-ohm?

and

I had the Hifiman EF2A and I would not recommend it. It had too much gain even for my Sennheiser HD580s (300 ohms!!!), so I was forced to lower the volume on my PC, which degrades the sound quality.

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #17,589 of 29,490
That's the problem.  Many will argue my point, but you get out what you put in.  I believe in spending a bit more on the source and a bit less on the cans.  For example, many of the fiios amps I have heard with an ipod and great files actually hurt the detail and faithful reproduction of the music more than no amp at all.  Yea it may go a bit louder but you have to spend a bit more or find a good budget amp to really not mess it up.

A low cost dac will maybe do a bit better than a laptop built in dac, but many times a cheap dac does not really let you hear what the engineers of those $500 cans really wanted you to hear.  But many feel it is best to use a low cost dac and amp and better phones rather than a mid level dac and amp and slightly less quality phones.  All that being said, things are getting better every day, to wit the Dragon Fly and HRT Headstreamer as well as super budget options like the Behringer UC-222 and JDS labs cmoy.

Would $120 be adequate to acquire a DAC that would work well with the Denons?

Aug 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #17,590 of 29,490
Quote:
Would $120 be adequate to acquire a DAC that would work well with the Denons?

dac or dac/ amp?  what would you plug the dac into?

EDIT:  Hold the presses!  I'm showing my age aren't I?
biggrin.gif

You stated about 15 hours ago you plan to use an ipod Touch 4th gen as your source.  Very few dacs work with the touch and most are godawful expensive.  That being said a good amp can be had for under $100 and can be tweaked to sound even better.  JDS labs cmoy with a fiios line out dock (you did read my bog on why a portable amp, right?)  and then you can roll a few opamps into it to upgrade it further.  Or go with any number of amps that are out there.  I would jump up a bit more to the JDS labs c421 but others will argue there might be other portables amps that sound as good for less.  I have not tried them all, just owned a lot :)

Aug 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #17,591 of 29,490
Quote:

Do you mean portable amps? If so, I don't have any personal experience with those but most of them can adequately power the 80 and 250 ohm versions of the 770.

Sorry I'm getting back to you so late, but I'm talking mainly about desktop amps. I'm pretty sure I'm only going to keep the headphone I buy now in my house and buy an in-ear-monitors for portable use. Unless IEM's take amps... Any you recommend for the Beyer 770 Pros?

Aug 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #17,592 of 29,490
okay sold my grads finally now I'm looking for a new pair of headphones.

what i need for them to have:

closed back - preferable
over ear - a must after my unpleasant experience with on ears.
bass - i really need it to have a noticeable amount it doesn't have to be overpowering
nice look - preferable 
good for gaming - this one is pretty important as cs:go comes out in a week and i want to have some decent cans for when it comes out.

-

Max Price I can go: $115 u.s.d.

i saw some used Senn. HD 555's for about $95 idk if that would be a good deal, but i do realize they are open but i can get over it if theyre good for the price.

i really wanted to get some ath-m50's because they look nice and they have awesome reviews and everything im looking for except for gaming. are they better music wise vs the 555's or others in the price range? and are they really terribly bad for gaming or just meh like some headsets or something?

Aug 7, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #17,593 of 29,490
dac or dac/ amp?  what would you plug the dac into?

EDIT:  Hold the presses!  I'm showing my age aren't I?:D

You stated about 15 hours ago you plan to use an ipod Touch 4th gen as your source.  Very few dacs work with the touch and most are godawful expensive.  That being said a good amp can be had for under $100 and can be tweaked to sound even better.  JDS labs cmoy with a fiios line out dock (you did read my bog on why a portable amp, right?)  and then you can roll a few opamps into it to upgrade it further.  Or go with any number of amps that are out there.  I would jump up a bit more to the JDS labs c421 but others will argue there might be other portables amps that sound as good for less.  I have not tried them all, just owned a lot :)

Unfortunately I am not able to view your blog :frowning2: I'm currently visiting family in Beijing and the Great Firewall of China blocked your blog, as they usually do with these kinds of sites. I need to grab my laptop later and fire up a proxy server :p

I'm not even really sure what amps or DACs are. I just heard from hipster who kindly wrote out a nice informative essay that they would greatly improve the sound of the soon to be mine D600s. I have no idea the size of these gadgets and only a little knowledge of what they look like (audio noob ftw!). I was thinking (hoping) they were little gadgets that you could stick into the headphone outlet of an iPod.

Aug 7, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #17,594 of 29,490
sorry to hear of blog censoring.  Hopefully you can take a look later.  I have a good pic of an amp attached to my ipod touch.  As for dacs and ipods, like I said only a few work with them and they are very expensive (and not worth it in my opinion).  

Amps can be great however and can be about the same size as a touch or smaller for the most part.

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #17,595 of 29,490
I hope it's okay to ask a couple of questions here. I recently acquired a Rogue Tempest ii integrated amp that sounds fantastic through my AR98LS speakers on all kinds of music - jazz, indie rock, hip-hop,metal, soul, funk, the occasional classical, etc. But occasionally I need to listen through headphones so the rest of the house isn't disturbed. The problems:

1 - The tempest has no headphone jack and obv. no headphone amp. I'd like to rig the amp to drive a pair of headphones with some kind of minimalist setup involving a switch (for diverting away from the speakers) and some resistors (to prevent my headphones from exploding). Anybody know an easy way to do this? I have even had it recommended that I just cut the cable of the headphones and attach them directly to the speaker out posts, and just keep the volume really low. this seems unwise for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the speakers would still be playing while I was on the phones, defeating the "keep the house quiet" concept.

2 - What's a good step-up for phones? I have a pair of studio Audio-technica 40fs, which appear to be just a touch below the well regarded 50's. I do like the neutral take of the studio monitor phones, as I generally don't like bass boost. But I feel like the step up to 50's won't really be worth it. Given that I'd like to make a significant jump without destroying my budget - I'm probably open to thinking up to $300 - what are some good, closed ear neutral headphones that will rival my rega rp1 - rogue - acoustic research set-up for speakers? I've had a pair of Shures rec'd to me, but I have no idea if that will do it. Again, I listen toa  wide range of styles and like to keep the eq relatively flat.

Thanks!
nate 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back