++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #17,341 of 29,490
Quote:
I was looking at the above two (as well as the HD600). I often see criticism of the K701 saying they sound clinical and that they lack bass. The Beyerdynamic is often described as better and it has more bass. The HD600 is decscribed as laid back, and it's the most expensive, so I'll leave that out.

I can't find a clear consensus on which is more detailed between the K701 and the DT880. Bass doesn't really bother me, but can anyone tell me which is the more "technical" headphone between the K701 and DT880. And by technical I mean with related to transients, PRaT, etc.

I don't really care about soundstage.

The Q701 has a bit more bass than the longer in the tooth K701.  Beyond that you are reopening the great debate between the forces of AKG and those of Beyer--each backing their former flagships (or current versions/variations thereof).

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #17,342 of 29,490
Quote:
Your budget is very small; your Grados cost about 3x what you want to spend now.  That's OK put keep your expectations realistic relative to what you want to spend.  Staying within it the last two cans on your list provide the best sound.

yeah, i know...but thats fine, i'm just looking for some cans that i can use and beat up on a bit. but as i mentioned looking for comfort the most, when you say the last two cans in my list, do you mean the Superlux HD 681 and JVC HARX700? or the pioneers and portapros? again, i'm worried more about the comfort factor than the sound, i know that sounds weird, but in terms of listening to music i could always plug in the grado's. 

thanks for the reply

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #17,343 of 29,490
Quote:
yeah, i know...but thats fine, i'm just looking for some cans that i can use and beat up on a bit. but as i mentioned looking for comfort the most, when you say the last two cans in my list, do you mean the Superlux HD 681 and JVC HARX700? or the pioneers and portapros? again, i'm worried more about the comfort factor than the sound, i know that sounds weird, but in terms of listening to music i could always plug in the grado's. 

thanks for the reply

I don't any appreciable time with any of these cans--other than the Grado.  I can tell you that the similarly priced (but somewhat differently designed) Superlux HD668B is quite comfortable.

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #17,345 of 29,490
I just read a review about the Philips Citiscape Uptown headphone and they seem quite adequate for my music preferences. But there has been comments about it sounding dark, what does that mean? And some have said the mids are lacking a bit - is there any way to fix this?

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #17,346 of 29,490
Quote:

The Q701 has a bit more bass than the longer in the tooth K701.  Beyond that you are reopening the great debate between the forces of AKG and those of Beyer--each backing their former flagships (or current versions/variations thereof).

I decided to take a risk and try the Q701, it's a plus that it's cheaper. I think I'm leaning to it because of all of the hate it gets. I like how people describe them (K701) as cold, clinical, unemotional.

I am a bit strange, oh well, thanks.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #17,347 of 29,490
Quote:
I just read a review about the Philips Citiscape Uptown headphone and they seem quite adequate for my music preferences. But there has been comments about it sounding dark, what does that mean? And some have said the mids are lacking a bit - is there any way to fix this?

It usually means that the highs are recessed.  The Philips also has a bassy signature. 

You might benefit from some of the reviews at InnerFidelity--perhaps starting with their Wall of Fame cans.  Here's a link:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #17,348 of 29,490
Quote:
I decided to take a risk and try the Q701, it's a plus that it's cheaper. I think I'm leaning to it because of all of the hate it gets. I like how people describe them (K701) as cold, clinical, unemotional.

For what it's worth, I believe it to be a good choice.  It's not as cold as the K 701, is cheaper and has more features--two cables.  All in all for $220 to $240, it's one of the best buys out there.

P.S.--I hope that doesn't scare you off.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #17,349 of 29,490
Quote:
It usually means that the highs are recessed.  The Philips also has a bassy signature. 

You might benefit from some of the reviews at InnerFidelity--perhaps starting with their Wall of Fame cans.  Here's a link:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame

Thanks for the link! I looked around another site http://headphonemecca.com/51-100/ & http://headphonemecca.com/101-150/ and read about the Shure SRH440 in comparison to the DJ100. But then I also researched the SRH840/DT770 Pro, and in terms of overall sound how do they compare with the ATH-M50 which seems to be the headphones that everybody recommends.

It might be hard to answer since I don't know what kind of sound I'm looking for, but I appreciate your help!

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #17,350 of 29,490
Quote:

I recently got a pair of Q701 and I enjoy them. I think that they expose poor quality recordings, which I happen to have too many of. Overall they are quite enjoyable though.

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #17,351 of 29,490
So I made the mistake of starting my own thread and then immediately seeing this thread...oops!
Here's what I had written. I'm open to any and all suggestions!

I have been leaning towards the Ultrasone HFI-580s/780s for awhile now, but I'm just not sure.

I mainly listen to rock, metalcore, and hardcore/post-hardcore.
A few bands:

August Burns Red, A Day to Remember, Of Mice and Men, For Today, Demon Hunter.

Something around the $100-150 range.

I'm not seeking a large amount of bass, just something that would be suitable for the double bass found in the above bands. I would also like some form of isolation: doesn't have to be amazing, but I have a dorm mate and I don't want him hearing my music late at night.

I will mainly be running the headphones unamped through my macbook, pc , and iphone.

Also, I'm a drummer, so it's not going to hurt for the headpones to be suitable to jam along with! (Not looking for IEMs though; already have a nice pair of these).

If you think the Ultrasone's are the right pick, then awesome! If not, please give me your suggestions! Thanks for your time!

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #17,352 of 29,490
Quote:

While they are both definitely very good headphones I would think the 650 would be better for trance because its got a little more bass response and slightly more sub-bass. Neither are basshead cans though, by any stretch, and both are fully open cans which means less bass impact compared to closed cans. If very strong bass is important to you you may want to look elsewhere, for example toward the Ultrasones.

Since you said the 650 is a good pair, what would be the downsides of choosing Ultrasones over that?  And what specific product of Ultrasones?   Thanks a ton!

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #17,353 of 29,490
I'm not seeking a large amount of bass, just something that would be suitable for the double bass found in the above bands. I would also like some form of isolation: doesn't have to be amazing, but I have a dorm mate and I don't want him hearing my music late at night.

I just got my HD 380 Pro closed headphones in today and have listened to them for several hours now. In some ways I prefer my UE Triplefi 10 IEMs but on the kind of music you like is where the 380's excelled. As a fellow drummer the thing I enjoyed most about them is the nice full but tight kick beats and toms and fullness in the snare. They are not super bassy.

They are also closed and isolate real nice. Super compfy and pretty light. They come with a half coiled cord which could come in handy if you are practicing with them on. For some uses I would not say these are the best choice, but for your use, I would personally say they are perfect.

Got mine for just over 100 bucks at vminnovations (they are authorized senn dealer).

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #17,354 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello Head-fi, I've been looking for new headphones on a $150 price range, I've been trying to research online but every option I find has some negative review which turns me off, can you help me? I would like them to have these features:

-Detachable cable
-Foldable (preferably flat, but anything is OK).
-On ear style
-I will mainly use them on the subway and the bus, so while I don't require noise cancellation, I would prefer to filter out most sounds. They should have good volume.

I'm mainly listening to metal, rock, blues and some pop. I've seen the wildy hyped Beats headphones and they have decent features similar to mine but they are very expensive and I think I can do better. Thanks in advance!

HDJ 2000 suit your genes and requirement, but over your budget. I bought it for $250 in Amazon a while ago.
Maybe their lower model can do the same.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #17,355 of 29,490
Hello folks. I try to keep this a bit terse because I tend to ramble. :D

I am looking for two headphones recommendations.

1) I'm going to buy my brother a good pair of headphones when I return from deployment (Seems backwards, eh? I haven't seen him in a few years, though lol) and I'm not really sure what to get him. I want them to be over the ear and he has a baby, so at least some reduction of outside noise would be preferred. Also, he's been listening to a lot of indie music lately (Neon Trees, The Shins... etc.) and I've been kind of getting him toward more electronic stuff. I know he digs Sennheiser but I'm down with anything in the ~$300 price range :D Maybe cheaper+amp too. We'll see...

3.25) Now for me! I recently bought the JDS Labs CmoyBB amp and a pair of HD 449's (my entry to ye olde audiophilia. thanks website!). I f'n love that stuffs. Of course, now I want more. I have been listening to indie a lot lately but I've been wandering more and more toward the electronic music stuffs. Specifically, Deadmau5, Eprom, Showtek, and most recently The Glitch Mob (amazing.) so I'm looking for a pair of headphones that would be great for that stuff. I'm not crazy into bass but I would like there to be more bass than the 449's. I like a really well balanced sound, and while the 449's do a lot better than my old headphones (skullcandy in-ear lololol!) I do prefer a bit more bass. Oh yeah. I'm looking for the same price range as the others (~$300) and full size over the ear headphones.

Let me know if any more info is required. ^_^

Oh. If anyone knows a place around the Hampton Roads area (I'm willing to drive as well. driving is funs.) in Virginia that I can go to to audition headphones I would be most appreciative.

Additionally, it may be relevant that I plan on buying a Bottlehead Crack amplifier to build (mostly getting it for awesomeness and the fun of building things). So headphones that would work well with that are a major plus as well.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back