++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 9, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #16,231 of 29,490
Thank yo ufor a valuable opinion. I know that it would be better to buy new headphones for the money, but the thing is that I owned HD 202 II before. When I plugged HD 429s, I expected a big improvement since 429s cost much more. The difference is not that big and whats more, if I set 24bit/96kHz to my line out on my laptop, it actually loses quality. Therefore I suspect that the soundcard is very very poor and can't even drive low-end cans like 429s properly. Correct me if I'm wrong please :)

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #16,232 of 29,490
Quote:
Thank yo ufor a valuable opinion. I know that it would be better to buy new headphones for the money, but the thing is that I owned HD 202 II before. When I plugged HD 429s, I expected a big improvement since 429s cost much more. The difference is not that big and whats more, if I set 24bit/96kHz to my line out on my laptop, it actually loses quality. Therefore I suspect that the soundcard is very very poor and can't even drive low-end cans like 429s properly. Correct me if I'm wrong please :)

You should be able to hear the difference.  Find another source (e.g. CD player with a good quality recording on CD) and test them.

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #16,233 of 29,490
Quote:

You should be able to hear the difference.  Find another source (e.g. CD player with a good quality recording on CD) and test them.

Is it usually better to play a CD on a cheap laptop or a cheap CD player? I will try to plug it into a CD player and I'll try to find a 20-bit Mozart recording among my CDs. The difference is there, but it's not so apparent as I expected it to be.

EDIT: I've just tried Mozart's K.218 Allegro 20 bit recording and yes, there is a difference. Especially violins sound much clearer in 429s, and I also noticed a lot of background noise in 202s. However, I am going to try it with Def Leppard CD, which represents my music taste much better. I always knew that 429s do sound better than my 202 II, but as I said before, I think the difference will be much much greater when I plug them into E17 Alpen I ordered today.

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #16,234 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys! Can anyone explain what a balanced amp and dac is, and what it does to the sound? And for it to work...does the entire setup have to be balanced?

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/balancedheadphones/one.html

I don't know how usefull it can be, but I asked myself the same question sometime ago  and found this site, hope it will be helpfull.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #16,235 of 29,490
 Hey guys,

Just throwing out a 'What would you do' situation to get some better idea of my next purchase. I'm looking for some advice as to which direction I should go (amp v. headphone). I presently have an E17 with markl modd'd D2000's and AKG CKS77's. The question is...

1. HifiMan HE-400 ($399) - Arguably a step up from the Denons (from what I've read, definitely a step up). Attracted to the (reported) colorfulness, bass capabilities, and airiness. Seems to be a steal at its price point. How well will the E17 power it though?

2. Schiit Asgard ($250) - Heard mostly good-great things, but pretty sure it would be overkill for my Denons/CKS77s. Would use my E17 as a DAC (possible, correct?). But would also probably leave me wanting to get a set of headphones that were more powerful/pair better with.

3. Maddog's Fostex TR50p (~$250) - Very interested in these from things I'm hearing. Just not sure if the E17 would power them well enough or that they would have the warmer, more colorful signature I am looking for.

4. ???? Suggestions - Maybe I'm heading in the wrong direction? I am continually looking to improve upon what I already have or upgrade (regardless of 'need'!).

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #16,236 of 29,490
O great gurus of Head-Fi,

Ive been going wide and far to find a decent pair of headphone for my mother. Taking to long to her taste she decided she will just go with the bose quietcomfort 15 (over-ear). Knowing Bose's reputation I kinda grinded my teeth a little.

I am in an odd situation. I am looking for decent/good headphone, Over-ear, closed/some isolation that DO NOT require an amp to drive off an Ipod. I have look everywhere that I may think and have scrolled MULTIPLE forum post to no avail.

I ask for wisdom.

P.S
Available in canada if possible.

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #16,237 of 29,490
Quote:

Ive been going wide and far to find a decent pair of headphone for my mother. Taking to long to her taste she decided she will just go with the bose quietcomfort 15 (over-ear). Knowing Bose's reputation I kinda grinded my teeth a little.

I am in an odd situation. I am looking for decent/good headphone, Over-ear, closed/some isolation that DO NOT require an amp to drive off an Ipod. I have look everywhere that I may think and have scrolled MULTIPLE forum post to no avail.

I ask for wisdom.

P.S

What kind of music, how long listening sessions and what do you have to spend?

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #16,239 of 29,490
Quote:

I ask for wisdom.

P.S

Sony has a number of headphones that meet those requirements: MDR-V900HD,  MDR-Z1000 and (probably for just a bit more) MDR-7520.

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #16,243 of 29,490
Quote:
Guys any recommendations for an analytical headphone with a good sound stage? I'm looking at the HD598 at the moment, but I'm wondering if there are any alternatives. Comfort is very important too.

The AKG Q 701 (or K 702) is better, but you need to amp them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back