++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #14,281 of 29,490

Quote:
A pair of HD 555's just went up on craiglist for $80. I've been looking for my first pair of good phones at a budget price. Should I jump on these?

If they are in good shape, they might be a reasonable buy.  I won't label them a "must have at that price" or a steal though.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #14,282 of 29,490
So I have decided it would be between these 3 Harx 700/Superlux 668HD/Samson SR 850. Which would be best for pinpoint accuracy gaming. I mean clear footsteps that can easily be pinpointed accurately by position. Game in mind is like CS/CSS and the likes.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #14,284 of 29,490
I'm in the market for a closed can for roughly $150. I narrowed it down to the AKG K271 MK II and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 but I'm open to suggestions. I'm not extremely picky about sound signature except I want a natural sound, I'm not sure if this is considered neutral or not. I recently got the AKG K240 Studio and I love their sound, their ability to reproduce instruments with a life-like sound has charmed me. I'm aware that the K271 is a closed version and sounds similar to the K240, so I am sure about the K271 in terms of sound. Do the K271 have durability issues? my K240s are already cracking in the right cup and they are only 2 months old, the cracks cause a slight rattle on sub bass frequencies on the right side, I plan to send these in for repair of replacement when I get back home. My question is about the M50 or other closed cans in this price range, do they sound quite natural and offer good detail? Anything over $170 is more than I want to spend. My old cans are the HD 555s, but they sound quite unnatural on most instruments and sounds, so I don't want anything that sounds like those particular Senns.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #14,285 of 29,490

Quote:

Could you give me an example of an open backed phone that would be as good in the same price range?

I don't know the used market well, but one is the Grado Prestige Series SR-60i.  So you will have to do most of your own research on that.  There is a part of this forum where you can start.

Excellent new open back cans currently priced below $60  (U.S. street) include the Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones and Samson SR850 Semi-Open Studio Reference Headphones.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #14,286 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm in the market for a closed can for roughly $150. I narrowed it down to the AKG K271 MK II and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 but I'm open to suggestions. I'm not extremely picky about sound signature except I want a natural sound, I'm not sure if this is considered neutral or not. I recently got the AKG K240 Studio and I love their sound, their ability to reproduce instruments with a life-like sound has charmed me. I'm aware that the K271 is a closed version and sounds similar to the K240, so I am sure about the K271 in terms of sound. Do the K271 have durability issues? my K240s are already cracking in the right cup and they are only 2 months old, the cracks cause a slight rattle on sub bass frequencies on the right side, I plan to send these in for repair of replacement when I get back home. My question is about the M50 or other closed cans in this price range, do they sound quite natural and offer good detail? Anything over $170 is more than I want to spend. My old cans are the HD 555s, but they sound quite unnatural on most instruments and sounds, so I don't want anything that sounds like those particular Senns.

The M50 might be fun and bassy, but neutral and natural it's not.  You're better off with the Shure SRH 840.  Also check out the KRK KNS8400 Studio Headphones.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #14,289 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay thanks. How comfortable are they? I just saw something called the BRAINWAVZ HM5 when looking at the KRK KNS8400's. Anyone know anything about the HM5's?

The HM5 is OK and comes with a great kit.  They are neutral and a bit bland. 

The Shure sounds better.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #14,291 of 29,490

Quote:
So I have decided it would be between these 3 Harx 700/Superlux 668HD/Samson SR 850. Which would be best for pinpoint accuracy gaming. I mean clear footsteps that can easily be pinpointed accurately by position. Game in mind is like CS/CSS and the likes.

I would 50/50 for the HD668B and SR850.
Do a search for "HD668B verses SR850"

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #14,293 of 29,490

Quote:
I see. I like a soft, smooth, and laid-back sound. How do the Shure's sound better than the BRAINWAVES? How do the Shure SRH840 compare to the AKG K271 MK II?

I have never heard the K271, so can't help you there.  My AKG full sized headphone listening is limited to the K 240 Studio and Q 701.

The 840 has greater clarity than the HM5.  To my ears the highs, mids and lows are all better too. 

But since you like a "soft, smooth and laid back sound", you might like the HM5.  I find them to be neutral and a bit bland, but different strokes for different folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back