++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #14,011 of 29,490

Quote:
Yeah I see your point about 595, actually all of those Sennheiser products make me feel iffy about durability. Someone mentioned AKG K240 being good for gaming/rock and they are only $80 on amazon at http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Acoustics-K-240-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA?tag=duckduckgo-d-20. Any opinions on these, they don't look breakable.

Fairly good sound for the price, I paid $115 for the K242HD which I do like, which as far as I can tell is the same as the K240.

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #14,013 of 29,490

Quote:
I am going to buy the Ultrasone Pro 900, but do I need an amp for these? I do not want to spend so much money. Do they sound fine out of an iPhone and a MacBook Pro?

The 900s sound great out of a laptop or iPod. I use an Ibasso D2+ to power mine but if you're looking for something cheaper just go with the Fiio e11. More than enough power to drive these headphones.

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #14,015 of 29,490
Whats the difference between the Beyer DT990 32 ohms and the 250 ohms version?

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #14,017 of 29,490

Quote:
Do they have great bass unamped? I just wish I do not need to amplify them, and spend more money lol.

Yes, the bass is still very good unamped. An amp is not a necessity with these at all, it just makes them a little better.
beyersmile.png
Also know that these headphones are very good at picking up the faults in bad recordings. Some songs sound awful with these but that is purely the recording. With a high quality recording these are absolutely fantastic, the bass is by far the best I've ever heard as it doesn't affect any other parts of the sound whatsoever. Enjoy them
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #14,020 of 29,490
Could I get some assistance? I thought about starting a new thread for this but don't want to risk abusing the forums. 

I'm looking for a set of cans that are somewhat portable (ATH-M50 size or smaller), have excellent detail, and have a fun sparkle in the mids and highs. I'm not an audiophile. I typically listen to classical, female vocal (jazz), and a lot of strings at home, as well as some ambient/chill. On the go I listen to electronic, lounge, and some pop stuff. I've got AD700's for my strings at home, so this pair would be more for taking to work or the university (in my bag or briefcase) for casual listening but also for some casual vocal tracking (my wife sings) so decent isolation is essential. I'd like as much sound-stage as possible in this budget but I don't have my hopes up considering the other requisite criteria. Having the open AD700's has inflated my expectations in that regard. Also, I'm not a bass-head but my AD700's are void of low-range response so these new ones need to provide a respectable amount of bass. 

Headphones I've listened to and my opinion of them: 
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 - I own these for gaming and love them to death. I listen to live string performances - harp, cello, violin, symphony and they are superb. Love the sound signature except for the lack of bass, which forces me to be selective about the music I put in while I've got them out. 
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro - Flat, and too boring for what I'm looking for right now. Probably excellent for monitoring though. 
Shure SRH440 - Much more life than the 280s, and a step in the right direction. Not enough bass though, completely left off the low frequencies of my dubstep tracks. 
Audio Technica ATH-M50 - A further step. Great bass response, and I like the detail for the most part, but I swear the mids are somehow being compromised by the prominent bass. Overall it's not quite what I'm looking for. 
Bose QC15 - Crap

Also, since I will have these out of the house quite a bit, I'll need them to be efficient enough to be driven off of a laptop computer or smartphone, OR I'm not apposed to getting a portable amp but the combined price of the two must fit into my budget of $200. 

My current inclinations: 

Sony MDR-V6 + Portable AMP

or 

Ultrasone HFI-580 or HFI 780

Please tell me if I'm on the right track or if I should be considering something else. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #14,021 of 29,490
I'm looking for headphones for portable use. I need great isolation, mainly for no noise leakage. I'm looking for good bass, forward mids, smooth highs, good soundstage, clear sound, and good comfort. Is there such a headphone? 
Edit: I don't have an amp, nor want one. And my budget is $300 USD

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #14,022 of 29,490

Quote:
Whats the difference between the Beyer DT990 32 ohms and the 250 ohms version?

Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 32-Ohm
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm? or DT990 Premium 250-ohm?
Premium version is a little more comfortable (but I have no complaints about my 3 Pros)
The 32-Ohm version is a little more power hungry then typical 32-ohm headphones.

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #14,023 of 29,490

Quote:
Is it best to try and get a headset with a lot of ohms, if I'm getting a sound card? How many ohms is considered good?

Depends on the sound card and the headphones.
The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card is fine with headphones up to around 150-Ohms.
The Titanium HD does decently with headphones up to 250-Ohms.
The Asus Xonar Essence STX (& ST) are good for up to 600-Ohms.

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #14,024 of 29,490

Quote:
Could I get some assistance? I thought about starting a new thread for this but don't want to risk abusing the forums. 

I'm looking for a set of cans that are somewhat portable (ATH-M50 size or smaller), have excellent detail, and have a fun sparkle in the mids and highs. I'm not an audiophile. I typically listen to classical, female vocal (jazz), and a lot of strings at home, as well as some ambient/chill. On the go I listen to electronic, lounge, and some pop stuff. I've got AD700's for my strings at home, so this pair would be more for taking to work or the university (in my bag or briefcase) for casual listening but also for some casual vocal tracking (my wife sings) so decent isolation is essential. I'd like as much sound-stage as possible in this budget but I don't have my hopes up considering the other requisite criteria. Having the open AD700's has inflated my expectations in that regard. Also, I'm not a bass-head but my AD700's are void of low-range response so these new ones need to provide a respectable amount of bass. 

Headphones I've listened to and my opinion of them: 
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 - I own these for gaming and love them to death. I listen to live string performances - harp, cello, violin, symphony and they are superb. Love the sound signature except for the lack of bass, which forces me to be selective about the music I put in while I've got them out. 
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro - Flat, and too boring for what I'm looking for right now. Probably excellent for monitoring though. 
Shure SRH440 - Much more life than the 280s, and a step in the right direction. Not enough bass though, completely left off the low frequencies of my dubstep tracks. 
Audio Technica ATH-M50 - A further step. Great bass response, and I like the detail for the most part, but I swear the mids are somehow being compromised by the prominent bass. Overall it's not quite what I'm looking for. 
Bose QC15 - Crap

Also, since I will have these out of the house quite a bit, I'll need them to be efficient enough to be driven off of a laptop computer or smartphone, OR I'm not apposed to getting a portable amp but the combined price of the two must fit into my budget of $200. 

My current inclinations: 

Sony MDR-V6 + Portable AMP

or 

Ultrasone HFI-580 or HFI 780

Please tell me if I'm on the right track or if I should be considering something else. 

Ultrasone HiFi 780, or better yet the Pro 750 for a bit ($25 to $35) above your budget.  For the extra money you buy better comfort and sound.

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #14,025 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for headphones for portable use. I need great isolation, mainly for no noise leakage. I'm looking for good bass, forward mids, smooth highs, good soundstage, clear sound, and good comfort. Is there such a headphone?

What's your budget?

In any case, I suspect you will have to comprise, at least to a degree, with regard to at least one thing you want in your cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back