++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #12,346 of 29,490
Hi everyone,

Firstly, I have lurked here for a while and absolutely adore this place, it's really opened my eyes up to audio, much love and respect to all of you who put the time and effort into sharing your advice and knowledge!

I apologise in advance for the vall the detail I'm about to give, I have tried to rummage around for a suitable starting point but am very much a novice to quality audio equipment and am intimidated by the choice.

Currently I listen to DnB, dubstep (proper dubstep with the kind of bass you can feel rather than the screaming midrange of Skrillex/borgore etc) and house - all of which I mix with.
I also listen to Jazz and a lot of coustic music with everything in between.

I own Senn's IE8s and love the sound but can't listen to them for very long as my ears get warm and waxy and hate the way I keep having to readjust them every time I move my jaw. I've also had tinitus for many years and though I listen at the minimum volume possible, I feel that having the sound so directly into my ears makes it worse then when I listen to cans at a relative volume.

So really I want something that:
Has warm treble, powerful midrange and bass, not booming but range and depth important.
Portability isn't really an issue but I don't want anything massive with lots of movement.
Suitable for mixing would be a bonus.
Commuter friendly.

I've got up to £150 or $250 to spend (don't mind second hand) but I'd like to spend as little as possible. I'd like something that could get as close to reproducing the sound of my IE8s as possible, maybe I'm being naive, please school me!

I've been looking at:

Senn Px200
Senn HD 25 ii
AIAIAI TMA - 1
Pioneer SEMJ31/51

But that's as far as I've got. I totally lust after Grados's SR80i but realise they're very impractical for my needs...

I'm probably going to get ticked off for this but I've posted this twice in both the full sized/potable forums in the hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any and all help in advance,
Harlan.

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #12,347 of 29,490
Random Question: Why does Audio-Technica make two variations of the ATH-M50 (one with a coiled cable and the other with a straight cable)?  Would it not make more sense to make one headphone and the cables interchangeable?  

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #12,348 of 29,490

Quote:
Creative Aurvana Live! for $73 vs. Panasonic HTF600's for $34 for listening to DnB and single-player gaming?  Are the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones really worth double?

I can't answer that question directly, as I have never heard the Panasonic.  Perhaps a better way to ask it is: Are the slightly improved  Denon AH-D1001 (which is what the CAL's are really worth  double?

Here are some professional reviews that can give you a fuller picture (as well as other perspectives):

CAL:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/headphones/creative-aurvana-live-headphones-review

More good news (of sorts)--in the last few days Amazon raised the CAL's price about $20.  With a little patience they may come back down to what they were less than a week ago--and had been (at least on a regular basis) for more than a month.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #12,349 of 29,490
Hey there, I'm no professional but I can offer some opinions
biggrin.gif

I had the PX200s a while back (but then I broke the headphone plug).
They would NOT be good for dubstep or other bass-emphasized genres, unfortunately...I suggest taking 'em off your  list.
From what I remember, they were a bit boring to listen to...not colored enough for me to enjoy. They were, however, very portable.

The HD 25 and TMA-1 are close contenders, but I think the TMA-1 is more colored for the lower end and the HD 25 is better for more genres. But honestly, but are quite good and especially portable so it doesn't matter too much which one you get. It's hard to go wrong with these two when it comes to portable listening. Here's a thread comparing the two:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/521631/tma-1-or-hd-25-ii

Sorry, I don't know much about the Pioneers...

Basically: Don't get PX200 for bassy genres. Both HD 25 and TMA-1 are known for being solid portable headphones that you can't really go wrong with.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Firstly, I have lurked here for a while and absolutely adore this place, it's really opened my eyes up to audio, much love and respect to all of you who put the time and effort into sharing your advice and knowledge!

I apologise in advance for the vall the detail I'm about to give, I have tried to rummage around for a suitable starting point but am very much a novice to quality audio equipment and am intimidated by the choice.

Currently I listen to DnB, dubstep (proper dubstep with the kind of bass you can feel rather than the screaming midrange of Skrillex/borgore etc) and house - all of which I mix with.

I own Senn's IE8s and love the sound but can't listen to them for very long as my ears get warm and waxy and hate the way I keep having to readjust them every time I move my jaw. I've also had tinitus for many years and though I listen at the minimum volume possible, I feel that having the sound so directly into my ears makes it worse then when I listen to cans at a relative volume.

Has warm treble, powerful midrange and bass, not booming but range and depth important.
Portability isn't really an issue but I don't want anything massive with lots of movement.
Commuter friendly.

I've got up to £150 or $250 to spend (don't mind second hand) but I'd like to spend as little as possible. I'd like something that could get as close to reproducing the sound of my IE8s as possible, maybe I'm being naive, please school me!

I've been looking at:

Senn Px200
Senn HD 25 ii
AIAIAI TMA - 1
Pioneer SEMJ31/51

But that's as far as I've got. I totally lust after Grados's SR80i but realise they're very impractical for my needs...

I'm probably going to get ticked off for this but I've posted this twice in both the full sized/potable forums in the hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Harlan.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #12,350 of 29,490

Quote:

Greetings all.  Been lurking on here for a while gathering information and now I think I've reached an impasse so I'm breaking the silence and making a first post in this thread.

I'm looking to get a nicer pair of headphones for home listening,  I've recently managed to get my hands on a Schiit Valhalla, so I'm not worried about not being able to power whatever I throw at it (not like I'm getting electrostats, after all).  My initial reasoning was that since I'm getting these for home use and I want the best sound possible, I'll go for full-size open cans.  I ended up looking at the Senn 5xx series.  Then due to some generosity on behalf of my family, my budget increased a bit.  After the dust settled, I found myself within striking range of the hd650s...well used, at least.  I decided to treat the 650s as the upper limit to what I'd be willing to drop on the 'phones.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and much much research on Head-Fi and all over the internet.  I've come to realize that as fantastic as it would be to get a high-class can like the hd650s, something closed and portable like the Beyer dt1350s or the V-Moda M-80s would also be a solid performer at a fraction of the cost and allow me to take them with me down the road when I start doing a lot more coding in public places (comp sci major and all).

That was just to set up the scene, sorry for the wall of text, but here's the TLDR:

I went from having my heart set on Senn HD650s to deliberating on whether I should get a really nice closed portable set instead for future travel listening.  If I get the Senns now, I can always get a portable set of cans later, but since I really just want 'phones I can listen to and enjoy at home right now, will the improvement in sound quality and overall listening performance of the HD650 (or HFM HE-400s that I've been hearing so much about) compared to say the DT1350 or M-80 be marked enough (using a Schiit Valhalla) that it is justifiable for me to get those open cans now knowing I'll need a closed pair later?

I know I'm no music major or sound engineer, but I love music with a passion and I just want to be able to enjoy all its nuances as much as possible.  I'm not asking for any research as I've done that myself and I don't want to be that guy.  I'm just hoping anyone with more experience can toss me some opinions or other viewpoints on this.

Many thanks and cheers!

Tbh I found your main post easier to read through than your TL;DR. 
tongue.gif

Anyway, I completely understand your train of thought, and I think that decision will depend on how much you plan on using your headphones on the go versus at home. If you plan on listening a lot on trains and planes, etc, you might be better off getting the nice portable (DT1350, HD25-1, M80, etc), as you'll probably get more use out of them that way. On the other hand, if you'll be doing most of your listening with your home rig, go for the open cans, for the reasoning above. 

Alternatively, an interesting middle ground could be to get an open can like the HD598s or Q701s for your home rig, and the portable for use on the go. Of course, this depends on the price you're getting on the HD650s. They used to go for ~$350 all the time, but the price has shot up lately to ~$500. At that price, tbh, the 650s aren't that great a deal, given that the comparable HD600 still goes for ~$315.

Quote:
Hello, are there any users who have listened to BeyerDynamic DTX710/910? I want some bassy circumaural headphones, i have my eyes on the sony xb500 but i understand that the mids and highs are rolled off, so i would like to know how are the BD's in general, and if they have enough bass. Tx.

Never heard of the Beyers, but an alternative could be the CAL!s, or the K81s, if you're willing to go on-ear. The XB500s do indeed tend to roll off at the midrange and treble, and so might not be the best choice if you're not looking for only bass.

Quote:
So... Two different sound-signatures?

thank you very much, really helpful. That's maybe the reason why I see some people here and there finding some ATs "too bright"!
confused_face_2.gif

I'm not all that experienced with A-T's other headphones, so I can't give you more details, but that's how I understand it.

Quote:
Are Krk Kns 8400's good at not leaking sound? Are they better than Audio-Techinica ATH-PRO700MK2? Buy mostly, how comfortable are they and how do they sound?

They're probably about the same, given that they're both closed. The PRO700s will tend towards bassy, while the 8400s will be more balanced (not sure about this?). Regarding comfort, if the PRO700s are similar to the M50s then they're moderately comfortable, but can get hot during prolonged use, and clamp a bit, and I've heard the KRKs have memory foam pads, which are nice.

Quote:

Thanks guys! you really helped me a lot. :)

No problem! Glad I could help.

Quote:
This isn't related to headphones per-se, but I have a $50 Best Buy gift card to spend and I'm not sure what to spend it on.

I don't think I want another headphone, so I was thinking of spending the gift card towards another PMP. Does Best Buy sell the Clip+ in-stores?

Yes, I believe they do. I've seen them there at any rate.

Quote:
Good day, first post.

I have Grado SR-80's which I use at work. I moved employer about a year ago, at the previous place we had a lot more space and most around me also listened to headphones/in ears/etc. The Grado's obviously have very poor isolation (for me and others hearing my music), I have decided (and the minister of finance, aka the wife has given the go-ahead) to go for a more isolated set of cans, they do not have to be noise cancelling. You guys (& girls) are much more experienced than me, so it seems best to ask your advice.

My budget is $100-$200, can go a little over but it would have to be significantly better. I listen to a wide variety of music, but probably mostly to acoustic, jazz, rock and some metal (weird combination I know). I like the sound of the Grado's, so I am not the biggest bass-head (I like bass but dont like to be dominated by bass). I sometimes wear eye-glasses and my head is relatively big (not massive, I wear L to XL hats, the grado SR-80's fit me fine). Size does not really matter much as I would store them in a lockable cupboard under my desk.

The main features I am looking for are:
 - durability (I use them every day all day)
 - sound quality
 - comfort (as I said this is for at work, so I will be wearing it for long stretches, at least 8 hours a day and long uninterrupted periods, so they would have to have be non-tiring)
 - looks (classy not flashy)
 - driven by a cellphone (Galaxy S/Droid RAZR/similar)

I have done some research on these forums and it seems the following are good/suitable/popular options: ATH-M50 (I see you get different versions, do they sound different, help!), Shure SRH-840 (looks less popular of late), Shure SRH750DJ (looks quite popular, I dont mind the fact that they are designed for DJs as long as they tick the boxes), Ultrasone HFi 780, Beyerdynamic DT770 (can these be driven by a cellphone?, also heard some have issues with internal wiring, worth worying about), Pioneer HDJ-2000 (a bit more expensive but I saw a glowing review comparing them with the SRH840 & ATH-M50's), any other suggestions, which would/did you choose and why?

I dont really have any brand preference, a friend has Sennheisers but his are cheap ones and I was not impressed by them (cannot remember the series, but I prefer my grado's way more than his). (also please no Beats or Bose)

Any help for such a relative newbie would be much appreciated!

The M50 and HFI780s are both solid choices for what you're looking for, while the SRH840s might be a bit neutral, and the SRH750s lacking a bit in sound quality. The DT770 could also work, but I don't know enough about them, or how well they can be driven by a phone. At any rate, you'll need to get the version with the lowest impedance if you're going that route. I don't know much about the Pioneers, but they seem like DJ cans in the vein of the M50s, and might be worth a look. BTW the 2 M50 versions just designate coiled or straight cable, which doesn't affect sound.

Quote:
Greetings folks,

Looking for some unusual advice, and figured I'd ask here before starting a thread.

I have been trying to find a headphones/mic solution which can offer good external attenuation, good mic noise rejection, and compatibility with smartphones / computers / cordless phones.

Constraints:
- Budget of up to $750 USD for the perfect unit, prefer to spend less of course.
- Dynamic environment, lots of removing and putting on the headset. I had considered in-ears like Shure SE535s with inline mic but they take care when fitting which may make them less favourable.
- Long wear comfort is a must. I do not like headphones which sit on the ear, or earbuds. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD600s for a long time, and they are my standard for comfort and fidelity.
- Connection to computer/smartphones are accomplished with a four pole 3.5mm TRS plug. Connection to cordless phones must use a three pole 2.5mm TRS plug. I'm happy to build a connector or a converter however, the signal has to be compatible (no phantom power...). See below for pinout details.
- I would prefer something with ANR+PNR type cancellation. Ideally attenuate high frequency noise passively and low frequency noise actively. Each technology focusing on what it does best. However, ANR is not a requirement if a sufficiently good PNR device can be found.
- No phantom power/mic bias means a dynamic mic is required. No condenser/electret mic can be used.
- Lots of ambient noise in some environments, so I am concerned about an inline or omni mic's ability to do noise rejection, obviously a boom mic has a big advantage in such environments.

Applications:
The reason I am looking for such a versatile piece of kit, is that I want to buy once and deploy across several usage models. The three primaries are below.

- At work I spend time both in a noisy office doing comms work, in loud server rooms doing comms/maintenance, and on top of cellular towers with lots of wind noise. The ambient noise spans the spectrum from a low hum to screeches. I need to be able to hear the person on the other end accurately and clearly, and they need to be able to hear me. This comms type can be either a cell phone, or a cordless phone, depending on the location.
- My commute is on the train, and I would appreciate being able to block out the train noise and general conversation noise and listen to music at a comfortable volume. I don't expect it to be as good as my HD600s, but decent fidelity would be nice. The possibility of a phone call also exists and I would like to speak at a quiet volume and still be heard.
- This would also be my gaming headset at home. For things like Vent and Skype. Obviously this is not a demanding usage model, but worth including. If it is good at the other things, it should excel here.

I have done extensive research on many channels. Avionics headsets such as the Telex Stratus 50D and Beyerdynamic Signum HS400 seemed promising, except they use an electret mic. I have contemplated replacing that mic with a dynamic but would rather not. Pilot USA and David Clark both sell a military grade avionics headset which has a dynamic boom mic and ANR. They are expensive, and I am concerned about speaker fidelity as they are dedicated comms headsets. I tried on a broadcast headset, the Sennheiser HMD 280 Pro, and it had nowhere near enough noise attenuation.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Julian

Four Pole 3.5mm TRS Plug: http://pinoutsguide.com/HeadsetsHeadphones/blackberry_9700_headset_pinout.shtml
Three Pole 2.5mm TRS Plug: http://pinouts.ru/HeadsetsHeadphones/cellphone_headset_pinout.shtml

Sorry, I'm not really familiar with all of that microphone talk, but it sounds like you might be looking for something along the lines of the Sennheiser travel series. They have all the features you requested (i think) and are also extremely portable and convenient. At least from what I've read the mic seems to be very competent, despite not being a boom, and they come with a lot of other features besides. This would be the top of the line: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MM-550-Travel-Noise-Cancellation/dp/B003WV38GM/ref=pd_cp_e_1

Sorry i can't help more.

Quote:
Im selling my Studio Beats tomorrow and want to get some new headphones. To be honest I loved my Beats but got sick of the image associated with them and the look kind of wore on me.
I'm looking to replace them and have a budget of 100-120. I'm not an audio snob but I do like quality equipment. I'll be listening to it primarily through a TC Electric Konect 6, and occasionally just through my iPhone. I like a wide variety of music, everything has vocals though. I want clear sound and nice tight bass.
I'm pretty much sold on the AT M50s, but I'm hesitant because there's so many positive reviews, they can't possibly live up to it..right? But I can get them for about $110. And the high quality 1/4 jack and coiled cable sound perfect
Also looking at the Incase Sonics. I've listened to them very briefly and they sounded decent. Extremely comfortable. And can get them for $75. But they're made by a case company, and I don't know if I can get past that. I feel like you're all gonna shoot this down but for my uses they might be fine.

M50s for $110 is a pretty good deal, and they'll definitely be better than the Sonics (Though maybe not as stylish). Your budget is a little low to get anything that'll compete with the beats as far as style is concerned, but I guess you don't really care about that. Just for your consideration, though, look into the V-Moda M80s.

Quote:
I listen to hip hop most of the time. No classical and jazz for me. I use them on a daily basis and would be using on my smartphone. I am planning to get a portable amp. I would prefer a flat eq headphone. Thanks.

Hip hop listeners generally seem to prefer a slightly boosted bass, but if you're looking for neutral, the SRH840 and HM5 are good choices in that price range. For a more fun sound sig, there's the M50, HFI780, M80, etc, while the PRO700 will have a lot more bass than neutral.

Quote:
I agree this is a great idea. So here my situation: I'm trying to decide on my first decent iem and I need a straight up answer. The only nice pair I've tried is the Westone um2. I was amazed by the detail and I loved the very forward mids, big bass, and warmth. The voices were nice but didn't sound completely realistic, probably due to lack of detail in the highs. Overall it was like for the first time, I was hearing real music. So here are my questions: how do these compare to the sennheiser ie7? How is the detail compared to the um2? I also heard that the ie7 weren't very engaging which would keep me from buying them. Is this true? Lastly are there any other ba iems that sound similar to the um2? I really want to be engaged with my music. Maybe um2? Se215? My budget is $150. I listen to everything and my preferred sound sig is warm overall, very detailed, and forward and realistic mids and vocals. I just need some straight up answers and suggestions. Thanks and sorry about all the questions.

I'm not sure if the IE7s will be able to keep up with the detail retrieval of the Westones tbh. Of course, I have o firsthand knowledge, but i've never heard the IE7s as being particularly good with detail. Maybe if you liked the UM2s the Westone 1s or UM1 might be a logical place to start. However, I think the mid-oriented Shures might work better with vocals. The FXT90 is another good option if you're looking for engaging, though they'll have a tad more bass and treble.

Quote:

First and foremost, great website with tonnes of information and helpful members posting their reviews and recommendations. My bose QC3s broke and I've decided to move onto something else. I am traumatized by Bose's wire, as they break almost on a set schedule. So would it make more sense to get a set of headphones with removable wires, so incase that happens again a ~$15 wire can fix it instead of shipping it in. There are a few NC headphones in there, because I require it to study at home when my housemates decide to throw a random pre drink or just having friends over and playing games in the living room, which is right beside my room. I also study a good bit in the library so I need one that is fairly decent in not leaking sound, that way the people around me won't give me hate looks.  I wear my headphones for hours a day, walking to class in the weather, studying, I'd say easily 5-6 hours a day and so comfort is very important. The bose is somewhat comfy but didn't hit the spot just right, the on ear isn't as comfy as I'd hope it can be, but their soft pads helped a lot. This time around I scouted a few headphones out and was wonderig what you guys think here:

AKG 172HD
Bose QC15
AT M50
AT ANC7B
Klipsh M40

Price point I want to keep it below the QC15s and the M40s. I walk to school and I wear my hood if the weather is bad so it can't be too big or else it won't fit. Any suggestion and rec is appreciated guys, thank you!

ANC probably won't be necessary, unless your roommates are really loud, and you're willing to pay more and sacrifice sound quality (I know, I'm biased). DJ-style cans like the M50s will probably do it sound quality-wise, but can get uncomfortable after a few hours of continuous wear. Something like the HM5s or Denon D2000s will probably be more comfortable, but the D2000s will isolate a bit less. Come to think of it, the HM5s seem to be ideal, as they're pretty well-isolating, are comfortable, and have detachable cables. The only thing to note is that they're pretty neutral, so they won't give you exaggerated bass if that's what you're looking for. 

Quote:
Creative Aurvana Live! for $73 vs. Panasonic HTF600's for $34 for listening to DnB and single-player gaming?  Are the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones really worth double?

The law of diminishing returns says it won't be twice as good, but it'll be significantly better I think.

Quote:
Well if I want to upgrade headphones from HD 600 to more better sound which do you think any tips? I can think about a closed or open headphone I have talk to one that have testing the HD 700 and he said it dosent fit well with rock, more like the way to classic he said. But I lisent sometimes to classic music(most piano songs). But I spend more time  to lisent to like alternative-rock bands like Smashing Pumkins, Pixies, Muse,Radiohead,Placebo and some Female singer/songwriter like Tori Amos, Kate Bush,Norah Jones.. I dont think I wannt HD 800 or the LCD-2 because of the comfort of the LCD-2 and the HD 800 dont fit rock..I have  checked on Denon ah-d7000 or Ultrasone Edition 8?
Any opinions?

The HD600 is pretty high up on the food chain, and I don't know that you'll find any significant upgrades until you get to the top-tiers. the D5000 or Ed8 might give you a different sound that better complements your music however... Sorry I can't help more, but I'm not too familiar with top-tier gear... Maybe summit-fi can help?

Quote:
Hey guys, I have a problem here and I would like some help please
frown.gif

If you're too lazy to read all of it, please read the bold words. They're the only necessary parts, anyway.

The Problem: As it turns out, my ATH-M50s came with sub-par quality pads.
Basically, they came already hardened and stiff, as though they've been used for years already.
I thought everybody was crazy for calling them comfortable, but now I know why.

The Backstory: I bought the M50s 4 months ago, but I didn't realize until today that the pads were unusually uncomfortable. 
I didn't get to feel a normal M50 pad until today so I had no clue what it was supposed to feel like.
When I felt my friend's M50 pad, I was shocked at how soft it was. He said it was brand new, but mine were never like that...
Before I found out today, I had always assumed that all M50s were uncomfortable like mine.

What I'm Asking You Guys: What's the best way of getting a replacement pair of normal M50 pads?
Is it possible for me to email Audio-Technica asking for a replacement? Will they even consider it?
Or should I email the authorized reseller whom I bought it from (soundprofessionals.com)? Will they consider it?
Will I end up having to pay for the normal pads with my own wallet? What if I get sent another faulty set of pads?

Anyways, thanks in advance. I really appreciate it (gosh, these M50s are bothering the hell out of my ears right now).

Try contacting A-T, they might sell you replacement pads. Also, did you buy it new or used? If it was used, that'll explain why they're already hard, and I don't know that warranty or anything covers that. If they were new, maybe you can complain to the seller, but it might be too late for that by now...

Quote:
I have a quick question. I asked a guy about the equipment in his sig and the answer was like this:

(PC, Foobar etc) ->

Music Fidelity V-Link II => USB TO S/PDIF CONVERTER FOR HIGH DEF FILES
CA DacMagic => DAC - TO CONVERT DIGITAL TO AUDIO
XLR to TRS Mogami interconnects => WIRES FROM DAC TO MIXER
Mackie 802 VLZ3 Mixer USING MIXER AS HEADAMP FOR NOW. ALSO ALLOWS USE OF INTERNAL SOUND CARD WITH ONE SET OF SPEAKERS
(Headphones)

So, as I read it, there are four different pieces of equipment between his PC and his headphones. I'm trying to figure this out because I want to put together a good system, but I don't want more equipment than is really necessary.

So if I use my laptop, with good source material and a good media player like Foobar, what I was thinking is getting the Fiio E17 amp/dac, and that would go directly to my headphones... but this guy has so much more going on here. I'm feeling like I might be overlooking something.

So anyone who wants to "shine a light" would be much appreciated, thanks.

Basically, he's got a dedicated Digital to Analog Converter that converts the music file to an analog wave signal that the Amp boosts to make it listenable. Right now your computer soundcard probably does this. The interconnects are basically fancy wires. Not totally sure what the converter does, tbh. The E17 basically combines the DAC and Amp parts, which are the most important pieces here. If you were to pair that with an E9 or something, it would use the E17 DAC and the E9 Amp.  

Quote:
I was looking at the Denon AH-D2000s, but I'm worried they may outclass my source or something. I was told that an O2 amp would be a good investment and that would be about all I could afford (D2000s and the O2). I have an HT Omega Claro Plus http://www.htomega.com/claroplus.html  Should I be looking at cheaper headphones or better sources?

The D2000 run ok unamped, or so I've heard, so I don't think you'll have too much of an issue with that.

Quote:
Hi everyone,
Commuter friendly.
I've been looking at:
Senn Px200
Senn HD 25 ii
AIAIAI TMA - 1
Pioneer SEMJ31/51
Harlan.

Denon D2000 is a very good place to start, I think. A lot of your other choices are portables, which are supra-aural and can get uncomfortable for prolonged use, but the Denons are more comfy.

EDIT: If I didn't answer your question it's not because I don't like you, it's probably because I can't answer your question and don't want to waste your time.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #12,351 of 29,490
Looking for a closed headphone that had pretty boomy bass with good clarity, I kind of want these to resemble my CW31 IEMs but in an over ear headphone. Also I am looking to spend under $50, and I already have the HTF600 and it seems too open for me. Also the smaller size the better.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #12,352 of 29,490

Quote:
Random Question: Why does Audio-Technica make two variations of the ATH-M50 (one with a coiled cable and the other with a straight cable)?  Would it not make more sense to make one headphone and the cables interchangeable?  

Good question! Maybe they didn't want to make a detachable cable for some reason, and figured that people would just pick the one they liked better and not deal with loose cables and such. I for one would have liked a detachable cable however, so I could use it as a portable with a shorter one...

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #12,353 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for a closed headphone that had pretty boomy bass with good clarity, I kind of want these to resemble my CW31 IEMs but in an over ear headphone. Also I am looking to spend under $50, and I already have the HTF600 and it seems too open for me. Also the smaller size the better.

under $50 maybe the Senn PX100/200, AKG K81DJ, or CAL! if you can get a good deal.

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #12,354 of 29,490
Looking to buy some cans, really a big fan of Denons... my question is whether or not this website is legit? This looks WAYYYYYYYY too good to be true (and we all know the rule of thumb on that one) ... but seriously the price they have is OUTRAGEOUS

http://camover.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=5151

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #12,355 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking to buy some cans, really a big fan of Denons... my question is whether or not this website is legit? This looks WAYYYYYYYY too good to be true (and we all know the rule of thumb on that one) ... but seriously the price they have is OUTRAGEOUS

http://camover.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=5151

I think there was a discussion in the deals thread the other day, and the answer was a definite NO. They can't even spell their name right for heaven's sake! Also their accreditation seals are pictures, not links, among a slew of other things.

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #12,356 of 29,490
Try contacting A-T, they might sell you replacement pads. Also, did you buy it new or used? If it was used, that'll explain why they're already hard, and I don't know that warranty or anything covers that. If they were new, maybe you can complain to the seller, but it might be too late for that by now...

Thanks for your input
biggrin.gif

I got 'em new. Everything was in pristine condition except for the pads...darn, if only I had realized earlier.

Anyways, I'm actually considering getting the Beyer DT250 or Shure SRH440/940 pads for my M50s instead of getting the stock ones.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/414574/velour-felt-pads-for-ath-m50/60
http://www.head-fi.org/t/495968/m50-with-440-840-pads

^Anybody have experience with these pads on the M50? Which one's the best? Are there alternatives? Any thoughts would be fantastic!

@igotmyxomatosis: I'm almost 100% certain they're fake. They say that they use "Chinese wholesale" and the entire website is a bit shady. The price is way too far from the original price to be true. Take a look at this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-deals-thread/2235
Everybody there says it's fake. As quoted directly from Foamybrian:
"It's a scam site. Their orders are fulfilled by ESC International Trade Co. Ltd.; a quick Google search on that name should confirm that you'll never get any products you purchase from that website. Also a dead giveaway: their contact page refuses to give you a telephone number unless you place an order."

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #12,358 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for your input
biggrin.gif

I got 'em new. Everything was in pristine condition except for the pads...darn, if only I had realized earlier.

Anyways, I'm actually considering getting the Beyer DT250 or Shure SRH440/940 pads for my M50s instead of getting the stock ones.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/414574/velour-felt-pads-for-ath-m50/60
http://www.head-fi.org/t/495968/m50-with-440-840-pads

^Anybody have experience with these pads on the M50? Which one's the best? Are there alternatives? Any thoughts would be fantastic!

@igotmyxomatosis: I'm almost 100% certain they're fake. They say that they use "Chinese wholesale" and the entire website is a bit shady. The price is way too far from the original price to be true. Take a look at this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-deals-thread/2235
Everybody there says it's fake. As quoted directly from Foamybrian:
"It's a scam site. Their orders are fulfilled by ESC International Trade Co. Ltd.; a quick Google search on that name should confirm that you'll never get any products you purchase from that website. Also a dead giveaway: their contact page refuses to give you a telephone number unless you place an order."

I don't have them, but the velour will probably alter the sound a bit... They look really nice, though... Now I'm tempted...

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #12,359 of 29,490
Quote:
I don't have them, but the velour will probably alter the sound a bit... They look really nice, though... Now I'm tempted...

Yeah, you're completely right. the people in the thread did report some change in sound signature, which is the only thing holding me back from getting them. I'd hate to blow ~$20 on pads and end up not using them
mad.gif

Apparently M50 pads harden/crack easily so I'm worried that if I buy them again, they'll become useless within a year or so.
D'you think I should go for the velours? They are pretty tempting lol.

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #12,360 of 29,490

Quote:
Yeah, you're completely right. the people in the thread did report some change in sound signature, which is the only thing holding me back from getting them. I'd hate to blow ~$20 on pads and end up not using them
mad.gif

Apparently M50 pads harden/crack easily so I'm worried that if I buy them again, they'll become useless within a year or so.
D'you think I should go for the velours? They are pretty tempting lol.

Well, maybe you'll have better luck with the 440 pads? My M50 pads are still fairly soft, though, and I think if you maintain them by wiping sweat and oils off them after use, you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back