++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #11,956 of 29,490

Quote:
I looking for headphones that fit my music well. I lisents most to Muse,Radiohead,Placebo,Tori Amos,Norah Jones,Pixies,The Doors
I have now denon-ahd1100 and I dont want bass like the denon-d1100 i have now, but lesser than the denons and more clear natural sound I think maybe an open can HD 598? or something else come with advice :)

I think the HD598 would be a great fit with your music.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #11,957 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm not sure how well open headphones will work with your music.  You said you listen to a bit of everything, but a heavy emphasis on trance and dubstep, right?  In general, open headphones aren't going to have the powerful bass extension that dubstep requires.  There are some exceptions, but they're out of your price range.

That's not to say that you wouldn't like open headphones - the HD598s are excellent, and the HiFiMan HE-300 has gotten good reviews as well (as well as favorable comparisons to the HD650, which has pretty good bass for an open headphone) - but I think that you'd be happier with something closed.  

If you've upped your budget to $200-$250, I have to throw in the Denon D2000.  You can get them for around that  price by calling J&R and asking for their best price or calling Electronics Expo and asking about their open box deal on the D2000 (if they're out of stock on open box ones, they'll give you a new one at the same price).  Phenomenal with electronic, and an all-around great performer.

Im ordring my headphones online to israel...
If i will not order the D2000, what other headphones in this budget i can get online?
And what about Beats Studio/Fanny wang heaphones?

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #11,958 of 29,490

Quote:
I need some recommendations for new headphones. My previous set of headphones was Audio Technica M50. I loved everything about those headphones except the comfort. The fit was good but my ears start getting warm after around 20 minutes of listening.
I am going to use the headphones mostly for listening to music out a Fiio E7 from my desktop with some gaming here and there. I listen to rap, rock, pop, reggae, instrumentals, and everything in between except country and classical. My top priorities are:
- comfort (no pleather or leather and must over ear)
- sound (balanced, no bass light headphones please)
- price (~$130 budget)
I would love something with the same sound signature as the M50 but more comfortable. I do not have a preference between open or closed back headphones. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Little over your budget, Sennheiser HD558.
Not as much bass as the ATH-M50s, but it's has decent bass.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #11,959 of 29,490
I'm posting this again.  Sorry if you've seen it.  I'm seeing some new faces that could help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all,

Its official I've been bitten by the audio bug. It started when I wanted a decent IEM. Did some research here and found the re0. Then I ran into the hf3 at Best Buy and could not resist the price. Yeah I know the two are pretty similar, but could not resist the value. So I experienced my audio epiphany and now have decided that I need a pair of full-headphones, and thus, have been scouring these forums. I have some ideas about what I might like, but I want to start open ended and not lead recommendations in any direction.

Firstly, please excuse my lack of audio verbage, as I am still learning. I love the sound of both my re0s and particularly my hf3s. The clarity and mids mmm mmm. However, there are sometimes when I think to myself man this sounds spectacular, but I'm not having fun listening to this. Also, I don't consider myself a bass head by any means, but there are times when I wish the bass on these had a little more impact. The other compliant I could have is that both have a similar stage and sometimes I think I want something that could immmerse me more in the music. So I want to find a headphone that will compliment these IEMs.

What I like
(excuse my ignorance if I classify something as the wrong genre):

I listen to alot of alternative, rock, indie, & piano rock. But I feel alot of the alternative I listen to has become more electronic. I do listen to techno, as well. I wouldn't mind gaming with these cans on my ps3 either.

Alternative/Rock:
Incubus, Modest Mouse, Killers, Phoenix, Audioslave, Angels and Airwaves, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Police, MUSE, Oasis, Queens of the Stoneage, Radiohead, RHCP, Breaking Benjamin...I go as hard as Metallica

Electronic Pop/Rock
Foster the People, Two Door Cinema Club, Naked and Famous, Passion Pitt, M85. I also like techno

Piano Rock
Coldplay, Jack's Mannequin, Something Coporate, Billy Joel, Elton John, The Fray, Keane

Indie
Muford and Sons (obsessed), Vampire Weekend, Forence and the Machine, Bon Iver, Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes, Civil War Kids

What I want in a headphone
Considering the above, I want something that has the clarity and mids I love with the hf3s, but can be a little more engaging and provide that extra bass I'm looking for when I'm feeling more electronic. However, this bass cannot come at the expense of my mids especially not vocals. Like I said, my priority is not bass, but there are some instances I have wished the hf3s had more impact even in some of my rock tracks. Furthermore, I want something with a big sound stage, but still won't make me feel detached from the vocals. Since I am just diping my toe in and know how infectious this hobby is already becoming, I may need to think about room for scalling upward.

All of this for the measily grand total of $300. I could possibly be talked into a bit more, but the increase would need to come with major benefits. I am open to any suggestions be it modding be it buying used, or waiting for a sale. I am a patient man if the juice is worth the squeeze.

My setup
Well I don't really have one. I plan to use my onboard motherboard soundcard and my android galaxy nexus for now. I'm not opposed to an amp; however, I might prefer something that will sound good unamped that I can later supplement with an amp. As far as my tracks go they are mixed many of them unfortunately as low as 128 kbps. I plan on working to rectifying this.

Sorry for the long read. I just wanted to provide as much detail as possible. Thanks for your help in advance. I love this place!

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #11,960 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm posting this again.  Sorry if you've seen it.  I'm seeing some new faces that could help.

I assume that these will be mostly for home use since you have the RE-0 and Hf3 for portables?  If so, I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD598.  They do vocals really well, but will also have a bit more bass oomph than your neutral IEMs.  They'll work well enough straight out of your motherboard or phone, but an amp will help a lot - the Fiio E10 is a popular choice.  The Beyerdynamic DT880 is another possibility, but I don't think they'd sound that great unamped.

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #11,961 of 29,490

Hi, I currently have SRH440's and MS-1i's (the MSi's being my favorites). Now I enjoy both of these headphones but am looking to upgrade to something better. I listen to mostly metal, rock, alternative and a little bit of electronic music, a bit of everything really but mostly metal and rock. So I was thinking about getting the MS2i's but I'm not sure... I was looking at spending roughly $300 (AUD or maybe more) and am looking for any suggestions. I'm in no rush to go out and get a set tomorrow so basically I'm researching a bit first. 
Anyway, I don't need the isolation so open or closed, I don't mind. I'll most likely be using these at home exclusively from my computer. I like a fair bit of bass (but not when it's sounding boomy or bloated), I love lot's of high end, ummm... sparkle? I really like to hear the cymbals loud and clear. But most importantly to me are the mids. I'm Looking for upfront, detailed sounding mids. Comfort isn't really much of a concern. Nor is style.
Any suggestions or advice is aprreciated :)

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #11,963 of 29,490

Quote:
Im ordring my headphones online to israel...
If i will not order the D2000, what other headphones in this budget i can get online?
And what about Beats Studio/Fanny wang heaphones?

Possibly Beyerdynamics (DT880/990), but those need an amp to sound their best.  The Beats aren't worth what you'll pay for them ($300).  The Fanny Wangs are better, but not by much.

Quote:

Hi, I currently have SRH440's and MS-1i's (the MSi's being my favorites). Now I enjoy both of these headphones but am looking to upgrade to something better. I listen to mostly metal, rock, alternative and a little bit of electronic music, a bit of everything really but mostly metal and rock. So I was thinking about getting the MS2i's but I'm not sure... I was looking at spending roughly $300 (AUD or maybe more) and am looking for any suggestions. I'm in no rush to go out and get a set tomorrow so basically I'm researching a bit first. 
Anyway, I don't need the isolation so open or closed, I don't mind. I'll most likely be using these at home exclusively from my computer. I like a fair bit of bass (but not when it's sounding boomy or bloated), I love lot's of high end, ummm... sparkle? I really like to hear the cymbals loud and clear. But most importantly to me are the mids. I'm Looking for upfront, detailed sounding mids. Comfort isn't really much of a concern. Nor is style.
Any suggestions or advice is aprreciated :)

What's your source?  Just motherboard audio, or do you have a DAC and amp?  If you're just using your motherboard, it might be a better idea to invest in a quality source first. 

If you like the Alessandro/Grado sound, just moving up the line might be a good way to go.  For upper end sparkle, I'd normally recommend Beyerdynamics as well, but they have recessed mids, which won't work for you.  The Fischer FA-011s have the bass and mids that you're looking for, but they lack the sparkly treble.  Possibly the Sony SA-3000, but I haven't heard them and reviews are mixed.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #11,965 of 29,490

Thanks for the help, I'm gonna see a couple of more opinions and then I'll make my judgement!

Any other opinions? Shure srh750dj, akg k181's or something better in the 150 dollar range max. Prefer removable cable due to convenience and in case a cable gets messed up. Listen to primarily hip hop, rock, metal, hardcore, pop punk, and some soft stuff too. I love bass but for softer stuff would love for it to shine there too. I'm not a complete bass head, just something thats significant enough to shine for my hip hop etc
Quote:
The K181s are pretty bass-oriented, so would be good for hip hop and such, but maybe not so much for the softer stuff. Again, I don't Know a ton about the Shures, but my guess is that they'll have less bass.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #11,966 of 29,490

Quote:
Possibly Beyerdynamics (DT880/990), but those need an amp to sound their best.  The Beats aren't worth what you'll pay for them ($300).  The Fanny Wangs are better, but not by much.

The DT880 cost at amazon 300$...i dont need something THAT good, something that cost 250$ the most and dont need an amp to sound the best, you got me?

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #11,967 of 29,490
Completely new to head-fi, but Ive been doing a ton of research on what pair of headphones I should get. I have not been able to narrow down the choices that much as everybody has different opinions, so I figured I'd post exactly what I want here and see if anyone can give me the best possible headphone for my liking.

What I'm looking for:
Price range preferrably $400 and below
Over-ear, circumaural
No amp required to sound the best
Good strong bass, but clean
Not a fan of leakage, so closed back is probably best
Comfortable over a long period of time, so if I sit somewhere for 4 hours listening to music there is little to no ear fatigue
Not too sure what I want in terms of mids and highs as I am not that experienced with that, but a headphone that is clear and one where you can hear each sound differentiated and the way it should be heard

Overall, I just want the cleanest, strongest, most comfortable, and best headphones that stay within my price range.

Thanks in advance for the responses

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #11,968 of 29,490

Quote:
The DT880 cost at amazon 300$...i dont need something THAT good, something that cost 250$ the most and dont need an amp to sound the best, you got me?

1.  You mentioned the Beats Studios, which are $300, and the DT880s are definitely better than those.
2.  I was talking about the DT880 Pro (not the Premium) which Amazon apparently doesn't carry anymore.  Those retail for $200-$220.

The DT990 Pro (250 ohm, should be used with an amp) is $185 on Amazon, and the 32 ohm Premium (doesn't necessarily need an amp) is $250.

Quote:
Completely new to head-fi, but Ive been doing a ton of research on what pair of headphones I should get. I have not been able to narrow down the choices that much as everybody has different opinions, so I figured I'd post exactly what I want here and see if anyone can give me the best possible headphone for my liking.

What I'm looking for:
Price range preferrably $400 and below
Over-ear, circumaural
No amp required to sound the best
Good strong bass, but clean
Not a fan of leakage, so closed back is probably best
Comfortable over a long period of time, so if I sit somewhere for 4 hours listening to music there is little to no ear fatigue
Not too sure what I want in terms of mids and highs as I am not that experienced with that, but a headphone that is clear and one where you can hear each sound differentiated and the way it should be heard

Overall, I just want the cleanest, strongest, most comfortable, and best headphones that stay within my price range.

Thanks in advance for the responses

Shure SRH-840, Fischer FA-003/Brainwavz HM5, Denon D2000.

It would be helpful to know your music preferences though - all three are good all-around performers, but the Shures are especially good with rock, the Fischers/Brainwavz are good for classical and vocals(?), and the D2000s excel with electronic.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #11,969 of 29,490
New and after doing some research am looking for some help.

What I am looking for
*Closed back over ear
*Good for a wide range from rock to techno to acoustic
*Price Range of up to 120 with shipping preferred.
*Comfortable for extended periods of time
*Portable (If possible)

So far I have seen the 
*CAL's (Leaning towards these unless something better out there)
*M-50s
*All different models of seinheisers
*Ultrasone Hifi-580 (might stretch budget for these)

Would the M-50's be good for my selection of music? I found the code and am willing to spend the 130 on them.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #11,970 of 29,490

So I've been browsing the forum and looking at reviews all day and it has come to the point that getting feedback specific to me is probably the best idea.

So I have around $200 to spend (give or take about 100) and I am really looking for the best setup I can get. Now ideally some well rounded headphones would be nice since I would like to watch movies, play games and listen to music of all types. Now the hard part is that I also would like to use them with my guitar setup. I run my guitar through an effects processor and would like to be able to use the headphones with the processor so I can play my guitar more often during the night time (in an effort to only slightly bother the neighbors less).

I understand that this is a fairly tuff request, but if I had to choose one over the other than I would like to just find the best well rounded setup I possibly can with my budget.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back