++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #11,791 of 29,490
Yea made a thread, it died.

I need a pair of closed headphones (max $50 really) for walking to classes and such. 
I was looking at some CAD MH310, Superlux HD661 (heard were uncomfortable), and the AKG K81s.
Almost bought the AKGs till I read that the cables broke easily and that the warranty is garbage for the US.  I'm probably going to purchase something within the next 24 hours.
Help is appreciated!

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #11,793 of 29,490

Quote:
Yea made a thread, it died.

I need a pair of closed headphones (max $50 really) for walking to classes and such. 
I was looking at some CAD MH310, Superlux HD661 (heard were uncomfortable), and the AKG K81s.
Almost bought the AKGs till I read that the cables broke easily and that the warranty is garbage for the US.  I'm probably going to purchase something within the next 24 hours.
Help is appreciated!

Well, I would have recommended the K81s, but I guess you have your reasons not to get them. Also look into the Prodipe Pro 800s, and similarly priced DJ cans. Maybe also look into some of the consumer-class Audio-Technicas, like the SJ33s. I've never heard any durability issues with the K81s, tbh, where did you hear about that? Maybe also look into the Philips cans, like the Stretch and the SLH5800s

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #11,795 of 29,490

I own the Grado-80's and love them, but the open design doesn't really allow me to wear them to work.  I got the M50's after reading a lot of praise for them, but the bass feels a bit heavy and the closed design is pretty hard to get used to coming from the Grado's.  Is there a closed headphone with a more Grado-like signature?  I listen to a lot of different music and getting balance and clarity out of headphones is more important than emphasizing a particular register.  Also, I don't want to annoy people at work... 

Suggestions?  Anybody hear the AKG-270's?  I've read that they have a pretty balanced sound.  

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #11,796 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys just wondering. Is the Sennheiser HD238 a great buy? heard it has some great some sounds.

From what I've heard, at least the 238 is not that great compared to other cans you can get in the price range of the MSRP, at least, but I guess the price has dropped to about $40. At that price, they might be a better deal, but they still won't isolate, since they're open. Other options you could look at are the PX100s/200s, as well as the Prodipe Pro 800s, and the Philips Stretch.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #11,797 of 29,490

Quote:
Well, I would have recommended the K81s, but I guess you have your reasons not to get them. Also look into the Prodipe Pro 800s, and similarly priced DJ cans. Maybe also look into some of the consumer-class Audio-Technicas, like the SJ33s. I've never heard any durability issues with the K81s, tbh, where did you hear about that? Maybe also look into the Philips cans, like the Stretch and the SLH5800s

Honestly amazon, but if it was a bad batch or something. 
As a side note, I am pretty rough on my things so I might would break them.
Also they don't need to be DJ headphones, I was just fond of he AKGs portability.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #11,798 of 29,490

Quote:
I own the Grado-80's and love them, but the open design doesn't really allow me to wear them to work.  I got the M50's after reading a lot of praise for them, but the bass feels a bit heavy and the closed design is pretty hard to get used to coming from the Grado's.  Is there a closed headphone with a more Grado-like signature?  I listen to a lot of different music and getting balance and clarity out of headphones is more important than emphasizing a particular register.  Also, I don't want to annoy people at work... 

Suggestions?  Anybody hear the AKG-270's?  I've read that they have a pretty balanced sound.  

Maybe the MS300s, or something more neutral like the HM5s or SRH840s would do the trick. I haven't heard much about the 270s, but since they're discontinued, the price is a bit high, so they might not be the best deal at this point. For $270, your options increase greatly.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #11,799 of 29,490
Hey. I'm new to the audiophile community and i have a budget of around $100 for my first pair of headphones. I listen to mostly Jpop, Electroinic, rock, and alternative metal. I do need sound isolation and minimum leakage as i live with 4 other people and they complain if my music leaks. Now for the things that arn't so important:
- I would like them to have a thick and/or detachable cable because i constantly kill my normal headphones (aka $10 pairs from walmart)
- If at all possible id like them to be portable because i do a lot of volunteer work and I'd like to pack them in my back pack.
- This is the last thing and it isn't very important it can be left out in favor of sound quality is style.
Thank you ahead of time :)

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #11,800 of 29,490

Quote:
Honestly amazon, but if it was a bad batch or something. 
As a side note, I am pretty rough on my things so I might would break them.
Also they don't need to be DJ headphones, I was just fond of he AKGs portability.

Well, as far as I've heard, the K81s can take quite a beating, though I've not heard anything about the cable. TBH, I wouldn't worry too too much about the Amazon reviews, seeing as only about 5% of reviewers said anything about the cord. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #11,801 of 29,490

Quote:
Well, as far as I've heard, the K81s can take quite a beating, though I've not heard anything about the cable. TBH, I wouldn't worry too too much about the Amazon reviews, seeing as only about 5% of reviewers said anything about the cord. 

Thanks, looks like I know what I'm getting then! :)

EDIT: Just ordered, thanks!

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #11,802 of 29,490

Quote:
From what I've heard, at least the 238 is not that great compared to other cans you can get in the price range of the MSRP, at least, but I guess the price has dropped to about $40. At that price, they might be a better deal, but they still won't isolate, since they're open. Other options you could look at are the PX100s/200s, as well as the Prodipe Pro 800s, and the Philips Stretch.

i see. havent given that much thought :) i think i'll go with the px 100s or 200s. thx mate! :D

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #11,803 of 29,490
Hi all,

I'm new here :)

Don't have much experience with headphones, been into hi-fi for about 15 years and own ADM9T & Sub.

Since recently moving in with my girlfriend, I don't get to play as much music as I'd like as she always wants the TV on, so I need some headphones!

If someone could give me a few suggestions, that would help me a lot, there are so many it's crazy!

My essential criteria:

- Over-ear & CLOSED back
- Able to be driven well from Macbook Pro 15" (no amp or DAC etc)
- Sound good with ALL music types
- Less than £100 new or used I don't mind
- Comfortable for ALL DAY wearing - I work from home often and need to block out other sounds to concentrate!

ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED, I AM LOST!

Paul.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #11,804 of 29,490
Hi, I listen to music on headphones mostly at work with other people around.  At first, I was deciding between the HD600 or the PS500, but then found out they are open headphones which mean people around you can hear your music.  Is it really noticeable to the people around you? I listen to music on my ipod usually at 1/2 bar of max volume.  I saw the m80 and the D5000 are closed type, so I was leaning toward those too.  I already preorder the Fiio 17 to pare with a headphone, but isolation (people around me can't hear) is very important.  So my question is are the open headphone like the HD600 or PS500 noticeable around half bar of max volume? if they are, would the D5000 be the next choice?  TIA.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #11,805 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm new here :)

Don't have much experience with headphones, been into hi-fi for about 15 years and own ADM9T & Sub.

Since recently moving in with my girlfriend, I don't get to play as much music as I'd like as she always wants the TV on, so I need some headphones!

If someone could give me a few suggestions, that would help me a lot, there are so many it's crazy!

My essential criteria:

- Over-ear & CLOSED back
- Able to be driven well from Macbook Pro 15" (no amp or DAC etc)
- Sound good with ALL music types
- Less than £100 new or used I don't mind
- Comfortable for ALL DAY wearing - I work from home often and need to block out other sounds to concentrate!

ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED, I AM LOST!

Paul.

The Brainwavz HM5 seems to fit the bill quite nicely, if you like a neutral sound signature. For more fun, maybe, look into the HFI780s or M50s, though they might be a little less comfortable, and have a more fun, rock-oriented sound signature that might not work as well for classical, if that's what you listen to.

Quote:
Thanks, looks like I know what I'm getting then! :)

EDIT: Just ordered, thanks!

Yeah, no problem! Hope you like them, and I hope you really don't have an issue with the cord. 

Quote:
i see. havent given that much thought :) i think i'll go with the px 100s or 200s. thx mate! :D

No problem!

Quote:
Hi, I listen to music on headphones mostly at work with other people around.  At first, I was deciding between the HD600 or the PS500, but then found out they are open headphones which mean people around you can hear your music.  Is it really noticeable to the people around you? I listen to music on my ipod usually at 1/2 bar of max volume.  I saw the m80 and the D5000 are closed type, so I was leaning toward those too.  I already preorder the Fiio 17 to pare with a headphone, but isolation (people around me can't hear) is very important.  So my question is are the open headphone like the HD600 or PS500 noticeable around half bar of max volume? if they are, would the D5000 be the next choice?  TIA.

If you're working in a quiet environment like a library, yeah open headphones can be a little annoying/disruptive, so closed cans are probably the way to go. 
The next question is, what kind of music do you listen to? If you're into stuff like hip-hop or electronic genres, something bass-heavy like the D5000s might work for you. If you like rock-type music, the D5000s will still work, but also check out stuff like the M50s, HFI780s, or the HD25s. For classical, maybe check out something more neutral like the HM5s or SRH840s.
Regarding the E17, the initial impressions have been very positive, and I think they'll do quite nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back