++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 18, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #10,246 of 29,490
Hello,

I am looking for a second pair of headphones.  I have some Grado SR125 which I like a lot.  However, after getting my last guitar amp, I need a pair of headphone at home and one at the office.

I listen to classic (mostly violin concerto, sonata or other), rock, psychadelic trance, some jazz and some accoustic guitar.

I am looking at of budget of 350$ or less and doesn't mind buying used from this forum.  If less don't mind having more money for other hifi improvements.

At work I have a closed door office, so open headphone help me hear if someone arrives in my office and is somewhat less rude.  Since the grado are a open design, it is possible to switch headphone sometimes.

I built my own CMoy amp to power these.  A dac may be something that I will build in the future for this.

I am looking for headphone which are easy to listen for prolongated use, comfy, not too hot, not overpowering your hear etc.

I like a little sparkly high,
well define mids without beiing overwhelming
I like bass but nothing that will pound my head, and clear bass is much preferable to muddy.

The headphone will not always be amped, so it may come from ipod directly sometimes.

Model I was looking at are

AKG-701
beyerdynamic DT880
Fischer audio FA-003
Denon Ahd2000
Audio Technica AT-AD900
Phiaton MS 400

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #10,247 of 29,490
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and by no means an audiophile yet, but I've been loving the posts I've read so far and I'm looking to buy a new pair of over ear headphones. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD428's that I got about a year ago but they have recently started playing out of only one channel (or something that makes it so I only hear part of the recording, usually not the vocals). I sent them in on warranty but they won't get back before I will be leaving the country for more than 3 months so I want to get a new pair.

I am looking for closed cans that are portable and less than $150. I will be using them for both movies and music. I listen to a pretty even mix of Rock, Folk, Electronic, and Hip-Hop so I'm looking for a good well-rounded pair of headphones. I appreciate clarity of sound over bruising bass but I still want something that can do Justice justice if you know what I mean. I'm currently considering HFI580's based on things I've read from this site but I could be easily convinced to go with something else.

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #10,248 of 29,490
hi guys!
i own a sr60i but recently i'm finding myself not satisfied in their bass.
i'm not a bass-head.. i listen mostly rock, indie-rock, acoustic (rock) etc..but i've discovered that my sr60 has a really limited and dry bass that compromises the "body" or the "presence" of the song.
example: with florence and the machine (all their song, but in this case in particular i'll talk about "dog days r over") i can enjoy all the mids and highs but i cant appreciate fully the song cuz i miss all the drums growing up and creating that particular contrast of really low and high that is typical of the machine. Florence, of course, is all there, but she's feeling a bit lonely! :)
i had a senn hd518 borrowed from a friend of mine, that is really happy about them, but that didnt help me much. here's why.
ive found the hd518 rich in the bass and generally well balanced, probably a really nice can....if taken alone.
at my first test i was quite happy about it, and thought that i could easily fix everything... but in a A/B comparison everything changed.
the hd has a nice bass (but i can be happy even whit a little bit less than that) good details in mids and highs, and more neutral..
but my little grado, even if coloured, it's just in another world with mids and highs, much more in your face, energetic etc.
and i'm definitely not willing to give up on those..for few bass.
the logic solution will be an upgrade in the grado line but:
- how "hi" in the grado line i have to go for have a right compromise??
- do the grado have that kind of bass that i'm looking for, or is always kind of "dry", putted down for leaving space at mids & highs, etc??

- this is only a logical solution, so i'm open to other option, brand etc...if u guys have one!

since i dont have the opportunity of testing some grado, and headphone over 200$ in general,  by myself (cuz i live i italy and we got only ****ty general stores, with only the average quality stuff, and for anything else u can only buy it directly online) i'm looking forward for some opinions or wise-advices!

thanks in advance at everyone!

Dec 18, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #10,249 of 29,490
Wow, I'm almost in the same boat as xirtam85 is above.  I'm upgrading from grado sr80's and listen to mostly rock and "alternitive" music (garbage, radiohead,pearljam,,the pixies, the killers, and  cake), with a fair amount of female vocalists(fiona apple,little boots, the tingtings).  I love, love,love my sr80i's  but decided it's time to get something a little nicer .

I'm not a big bass head, but have started to enjoy its presence a little more. I think I'm looking for something with a strong uppers and mids.  When  a cymbal crashes or horns are implemented in songs (cake) it just brings a smile to my face, but I also want something that can bring out the warmth in  vocalists with a deep slightly raspy voice (fiona apple, later johny cash)

What I'm looking for is going to be used almost entirely from my ipod, so
1) needs to be easily driven (I'm not intersted in getting an amp)
2) fairly portable, so big headphones are probably off the list unless you can convince me otherwise
3)$170-225 price range

Based off of some of the reviews/comparisons (specifically Armaegis shootout, I'm strongly looking at the sennheiser hd-25-1-ii and v-moda m-80's, but having experience with Grado's I wanted to try a pair of SR-325is's a s well.  I haven't seen any comparisons of the Grado with these two, and was wondering if you guys had any thoughts or other options I should consider. 

Many thanks ahead of time.

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #10,250 of 29,490
Will be buying these next week hopefully to accompany a set of Grados for Christmas. Asked for those for Christmas and want another set of headphones to go with it. Look at that, can't even enjoy my first set without wanting to have a second set to play with also, haha!

-Genres: Rock, metal, jazz, classical / piano. (Examples: Muse, The Strokes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Black Keys, Frank Sinatra, Bob Marley and the Wailers (Stuff like Studio 1, not his reggae so much), August Burns Red, Parkway Drive, Kashiwa Daisuke, etc.)

-No equipment, but not unwilling to buy some if included within the budget. Playing FLACs from on-board PC and Clip+.

-What's your suggestion for a 175-200 dollar budget?

-Suggestion for a 275-300 budget? (This is the most likely amount, wondering if it's worth an amp to be included in the budget with 200 phones or just get 300 dollar cans)

-Suggestion for a 375-400 dollar budget? (I'm impatient and would expect this to be like 300 dollar headphones with like a Fiio added on within the month? The budget is more of a like, 300 dollars now + 100-150 next month thing)

-I listen for 3-6 hours a day, so comfort is somewhat of an issue.

-Closed, ideally.

-Don't want overpowered bass, but having demo'd the HD280 Pros they seemed almost weak in bass? Not sure what to compare to other than Beats and 5.1 speakers, so don't hurt me. Beats had almost too much bass for comfortable hearing all day.

-Mostly home listening, but would be cool to be able to take them around campus when walking. But I may look into IEMs for this.

-I want new, not used, and new from ideally a place that isn't ebay. Been scammed once, not trying to go for another. More than likely looking at Amazon, dat free 2 day shipping.

-I'm thinking the DT-770s at 250 ohms with a Fiio of some sort, or even the 80 ohm version with no amp. Thoughts?

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #10,251 of 29,490
Hello,

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones for around $200 (willing to go a bit over).  And I listen to a wide variety of music classical, rap, hip-hop, rock, metal, dubstep, alternative, country, and a few more.

What I want is...
-Good sound (obviously)
-Nothing really bass heavy, but still has a nice thump to it
-A bass that doesn't ruin the mids or highs
-Noise Isolation,  I hate having to hear outside noises when all I'm trying to do is listen to my music.  So it is important to me.
-Comfort, simple I want to be able to wear these for hours without any discomfort
-Build quality, I hate flimsy plastic or something that feels like a good drop will brake it

Out of those I'd say isolation, sound quality, and comfort are the most important.

A few option I've considered...
-V-moda LP2's
-AKG K 172 HD's
-Waiting for the V-moda M-100's

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #10,252 of 29,490
You're looking in the right direction. I purchased the HFI 580 recently and couldn't be happier. I use them for Electronica mostly in-house. If you're looking for something portable, the 10ft cord might scare you off. Otherwise, it's a great choice for fun and punchy bass while maintaining great overall SQ.

Btw: you can get them new from amazon in your price range with 2day free shipping!

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and by no means an audiophile yet, but I've been loving the posts I've read so far and I'm looking to buy a new pair of over ear headphones. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD428's that I got about a year ago but they have recently started playing out of only one channel (or something that makes it so I only hear part of the recording, usually not the vocals). I sent them in on warranty but they won't get back before I will be leaving the country for more than 3 months so I want to get a new pair.

I am looking for closed cans that are portable and less than $150. I will be using them for both movies and music. I listen to a pretty even mix of Rock, Folk, Electronic, and Hip-Hop so I'm looking for a good well-rounded pair of headphones. I appreciate clarity of sound over bruising bass but I still want something that can do Justice justice if you know what I mean. I'm currently considering HFI580's based on things I've read from this site but I could be easily convinced to go with something else.

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #10,253 of 29,490

Hello,
I'm looking to upgrade my setup. I have the Ultrasone HFI-780 driven from a Zero DAC with OPA 627. 
I have Mediamonkey (Wasapi) --> Zero DAC --> Ultrasone HFI-780
I have a budget of 400 dollars which can best spent on headphone and possible amp if needed. 

I Listen to: 
Progressive Rock
Alternative
Electronic
Trance
Dubstep
Ambient
Classical
A small amount of Rap

I'm looking for an upgrade in soundstage and imaging, as well as bass quality and mids. I would prefer an open set of headphones because i want an expansive soundstage, yet i would consider closed. 

Right now i'm looking at the DT990 600Ohm, or Fisher Audio FA-011. Obviously i would spend the remaining budget on an amp.

Anyone have some suggestions for an amp, or a different headphone?

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #10,254 of 29,490
some extra info:

- no amp and not interested into yet, so something easy to drive from laptop etc...
- main use: home
- I'm JUST (like would be easy) looking for the best over-all/ compromise deal. (i rather kill my wallet once but in a respectful way)

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #10,255 of 29,490

Quote:
Yeah, the main reason I'm looking at some full sizers are for when my ear canals get tired/sore after prolonged use and so I can try multiple headphones to get more into the audiophile thing.
As for my rig I use an Ibanez JemDBK modded up (not the prettiest and been gigged to hell but it plays like butter) and an ibanez rg1527, I decided to delve into 7 strings with that. I hope to get another vintage style guitar tho since I do miss my fender cleans. My amp is a carvin legacy with a modded choke and soon a modded tranny with an added master volume. I swap my od's and distortions a lot but my main fx are from a digitech gsp1101.
Also the closest thing I can think of to a guitar audiophile forum is sevenstring.org, cool guys just I'm not into the heavy scene like half of them are, they have turned me onto some audiophile-esqu gear though, such as the axe-fx, soldano slo and bare knuckle pickups. I'm getting a bare knuckle in my 7 string soon
smily_headphones1.gif
...wish I could afford a soldano or axe fx though haha. The Slo-100 is literally the epitome of guitarist audiophilery (made that word up haha)

I'll check it out. It seems you like a more modern scooped sound than the more midrangey overdrive sound I prefer. I also prefer not to use any pedals to keep the signal as pure as possible just the Gibson SG supreme into the Marshall JVM410 through some Heritage and Classic Celestions. I wonder if its possible to drive full size headphones through the Marshall tube/valve amp even though its 100 watts 

Dec 19, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #10,256 of 29,490
Hi everyone! First post here and I need some major advice toward which headphones I should get. 
My budget is around $150 but I'm willing to a go a little more if it's really worth it.
I listen to all kinds of music. Mostly rock and alternative but also classical, pop, electronic..everything really. 
I've been doing a whole lot a research and I think I've settled between:

[size=1.7em] Ultrasone HFI-580[/size]
[size=1.7em] Audio Technica ATH-M50[/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
Like I said, I listen to a lot of different genres of music but I'd really like for the music to have a good punch and be a bit bass-y.
From what I've read, the M50's wont offer that but the 580's will?

I listened to a friend's Beats Studio and if they sound anything like that, I think I'd be happy. 

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #10,257 of 29,490
Hey head-fi,

I'm in the process of buying a new set of headphones and this will be the first non-cheapo pair that I'm looking at picking up.  If anyone here could give me some suggestions on some mid range headphones that would be much appreciated as I'm seeing a lot of differing opinions and don't know where to start.

Needs To Be:
Full Sized Headphones
Max of 75-80$
Comfortable for extended periods (I wear glasses)

A few I've looked at are the Grados Prestige 60i's, JVC HARX900's, and the Seinnheiser HD448's.

I'll be using these for gaming also, so headphones that perform well at that is also a plus.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #10,258 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi everyone! First post here and I need some major advice toward which headphones I should get. 
My budget is around $150 but I'm willing to a go a little more if it's really worth it.
I listen to all kinds of music. Mostly rock and alternative but also classical, pop, electronic..everything really. 
I've been doing a whole lot a research and I think I've settled between:

[size=1.7em] Ultrasone HFI-580[/size]
[size=1.7em] Audio Technica ATH-M50[/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
Like I said, I listen to a lot of different genres of music but I'd really like for the music to have a good punch and be a bit bass-y.
From what I've read, the M50's wont offer that but the 580's will?

I listened to a friend's Beats Studio and if they sound anything like that, I think I'd be happy. 

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

I second this request.
I was set on buying a pair of ATH-M50 also, cause I'm on the same budget but I would like to know impressions on HFI-580. Which ones perform better with a Fiio E7?
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: oh, and what about Brainwavz HM5? How are they compared to m50s and 580s?

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #10,259 of 29,490
Hey everyone,

I am looking for headphones in the $100-$150 range, and I think I've narrowed it down to the:

Denon AH-D1100
Sony MDR-ZX700

Things I am concerned about is the comfort and sound.  The last headphones I had were the Audio Technica WS70, and I had to return them due to the extreme discomfort due to their excessive clamping force.  How do the Denon's and Sony's clamp?  Which one sounds better?  I listen to mostly hard rock, but I also listen to some hip-hop and electronic music.  Which is more comfortable?  I consider a lighter clamp to be more comfortable.  Thanks.

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #10,260 of 29,490
I'll check it out. It seems you like a more modern scooped sound than the more midrangey overdrive sound I prefer. I also prefer not to use any pedals to keep the signal as pure as possible just the Gibson SG supreme into the Marshall JVM410 through some Heritage and Classic Celestions. I wonder if its possible to drive full size headphones through the Marshall tube/valve amp even though its 100 watts 

Well the legacy is pretty mid forward and many do use the slo for scooped tones but I am more of a mid forward solo guy but for rhythm I take out some mids. As for a clean signal chain I am definitely the opposite haha, I do DIY, get modded pedals and handmade pedals and try and find a few options when stomping. I find as long as I don't have too many cascading SS gain stages then a nice od/distortion in front can really push my preamp tubes and get some sweet tone. But the legacy takes pedals very well, some amps don't, lots of technical reasons =P

But back on topic, for this thread... I'm really thinking about the m80 headphones to be a different sound/type than the tf10's, I know in my earlier post I was saying I possibly wanted to mix with them and I got some hd595 recommendations but I feel like I may just want another "fun" headphone. If I were looking at mixing headphones I was checking out the senns and also the q701s...how about suggestions for both mixing and fun haha. Budget is basically $200 but 250 isn't unobtainable. I do need a DAC soon too...damn. My older post I said I prefer sound not to leak but really I can just use my iems if I care about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back