++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 29, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #8,671 of 29,490
Koss Pro DJ100. They both have coiled cables which is a little annoying...but I like it because it's more balanced than the M50. Better all rounder...and cheaper...

It also comes with the nice Koss lifetime warranty.

Quote:
Hey guys,
I've decided to order a pair of ATH-M50s (sorry to be generic), so I have a few questions:

1. Is the cord tough? All of the audio gear I've broken so far is due to the cable, so this is very important to me. Too bad it's not a detachable cable...then I wouldn't have to worry as much.

2. What does it look like when you wear the coil-cabled M50 while standing up? Is the cord long enough so that the coiled part can stay in the pocket?

3. They're pretty old so are there any other full-sized and closed headphones within $90-$110 that are also worth considering before I get the M50s? My library doesn't have many vocals, by the way (which is why I've currently chosen the M50, which apparently has recessed midtones).

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #8,673 of 29,490

Quote:
I am interested in the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm version. Could an iPod power this adequately? Also are these headphones worth getting? 

It probably won't get very loud. Or even loud enough. I'd suggest getting a cheap amp for it just to be safe. E5 or E6 would be fine. They're quite good, but I sure hope you like a lot of bass!

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #8,674 of 29,490
Oh gosh, I can't believe that I completely forgot about the DJ100. Many thanks for reminding me of it.
It sounds great -- but would the M50 or DJ100 sound better unamped?
And which one is more durable? I tend to screw up my gear a lot so the more durable the better, haha.
Quote:
Koss Pro DJ100. They both have coiled cables which is a little annoying...but I like it because it's more balanced than the M50. Better all rounder...and cheaper...

It also comes with the nice Koss lifetime warranty.

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #8,675 of 29,490

Quote:
Oh gosh, I can't believe that I completely forgot about the DJ100. Many thanks for reminding me of it.
It sounds great -- but would the M50 or DJ100 sound better unamped?
And which one is more durable? I tend to screw up my gear a lot so the more durable the better, haha.

To me the DJ100 will sound OK unamped, but as long as it's a larger mp3 player and not like a tiny one such as the Clip or Shuffle. If I connect my DJ100 up to my Sansa Fuze there is not enough volume. Ipod Touch or a Zune HD would be ok, but it's suggested to get a $25 E5/6 with it just to be safe. Maybe the DJ100 is still on sale for $50 at Electronics Expo? Coupon code was MROCTOBER.

It's all preferences as to which sounds best. I think the DJ100 does by far, but others will like the M50. The white boxed M50 is better than the older version. I've had both.

DJ100 is built like a tank. I could probably throw it against the room and it'd still be OK. It does have some plastic on it, but it has a lifetime warranty.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #8,676 of 29,490
So I've got some ultrasone dj1 pros with a cheap e5 amp.
They are crackling when I wanna get bass heavy.
I never liked how sometimes they would seem quiet for some reason either.
So I was thinking of getting the sony xb 1000s with the fiio e9+e7 combo.
My favorite bass is when it shakes my ears and my ultrasones just don't do it anymore for some reason.

TL;DR: Would the sony XB1000's and the fiio e9+e7 combo be good for ear shaking bass?
If there's anything better please recommend.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #8,677 of 29,490
Oh, I see. I have an iPod Touch so I guess I shouldn't worry. And the durability sounds great, lol.
So the DJ100 is cheaper and has better mids than the M50...sounds impressive. What areas is the M50 better in, though?

Thanks for the input guys, I'll brood over the two and do a little more research. I'm starting to lean towards the DJ100.

Quote:
To me the DJ100 will sound OK unamped, but as long as it's a larger mp3 player and not like a tiny one such as the Clip or Shuffle. If I connect my DJ100 up to my Sansa Fuze there is not enough volume. Ipod Touch or a Zune HD would be ok, but it's suggested to get a $25 E5/6 with it just to be safe. Maybe the DJ100 is still on sale for $50 at Electronics Expo? Coupon code was MROCTOBER.

It's all preferences as to which sounds best. I think the DJ100 does by far, but others will like the M50. The white boxed M50 is better than the older version. I've had both.

DJ100 is built like a tank. I could probably throw it against the room and it'd still be OK. It does have some plastic on it, but it has a lifetime warranty.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #8,678 of 29,490

Quote:
I am interested in the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm version. Could an iPod power this adequately? Also are these headphones worth getting? 

I would guess the iPod would power the Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro 80-Ohm decently.
But DT-770 Pro's work best with a headphone amplifier.
The DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm has great sound, also it is very bassy.

If you do decide to get a small portable headphone amplifier, get one that can handle 250-Ohm headphones
and get the DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm, really really nice sound and more balanced then the 80-Ohm.

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #8,679 of 29,490
It's mostly made of aluminum (DJ100) and is fairly durable. Neither is excellent, but I'd honestly give it to the M50. It's plastic, but it's a good chunk of plastic. 

Sound wise DJ100 outdoes the M50 in every way I think. A little less bass but it sounds nicer and the mids destroy the M50's. So...The DJ100 sounds better unamped and amped. 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Oh, I see. I have an iPod Touch so I guess I shouldn't worry. And the durability sounds great, lol.
So the DJ100 is cheaper and has better mids than the M50...sounds impressive. What areas is the M50 better in, though?

Thanks for the input guys, I'll brood over the two and do a little more research. I'm starting to lean towards the DJ100.

EDIT: Quoted and forgot to answer, woops. 

Ear shaking like getting kicked in the face or ear shaking like when a bumpin' car rolls by.

If the latter, XB1000, if the former...Pro 900s.

Quote:
My favorite bass is when it shakes my ears and my ultrasones just don't do it anymore for some reason.

TL;DR: Would the sony XB1000's and the fiio e9+e7 combo be good for ear shaking bass?

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #8,680 of 29,490
If you're new, yes. Buy Grados. You can't really regret an sr 60i purchase. It's a great first headphone (to also modify)

Wait, they need bowl pads! Don't forget bowl pads! The flatts are garbage.

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #8,681 of 29,490
Currently own a pair of Shure SRH440s, and I really enjoy listening to them. They're pretty great, but they get pretty uncomfortable. The headband in particular causes quite a bit of pain -- enough to make me re-situate them after ~30 minutes of use. I haven't owned any genuine headphones other than these, but I want to try a pair of open phones. The music I listen to covers a wide variety of genres, ranging from prog rock/prog metal, to pop, to folk, to neo-psychedelia. I often dabble into hip-hop music, jazz, and the occasional funky song. Specific bands I often listen to are Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Third Eye Blind, Tool, The xx, MGMT, Shpongle, The Flaming Lips, Arcade Fire, and The Antlers. I'm really looking for phones with an as-close-as-possible-to-flat response as possible, from 40Hz-20KHz+. I don't care if other people here my music, I just care that I can hear it and that it sounds great.

Really though, I just want to try some new headphones. I want something open, and I don't want it to cost more than $300. I saw the Senn HD 598 recommendation, but I'd probably get the HD 600s instead.

So, what does Head-Fi recommend?

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #8,682 of 29,490
Do you have a decent amp for the 600? If not the 598 is easier to drive and sounds great as well. Also if you want flat response looking into a DT880 of some sort, though some find them boring. 

Both will be a major step up in comfort...You may be able to find a used D2000 for that price, too if you're lucky. They're the absolute king on comfort headphone wise.

Quote:
Currently own a pair of Shure SRH440s, and I really enjoy listening to them. They're pretty great, but they get pretty uncomfortable. The headband in particular causes quite a bit of pain -- enough to make me re-situate them after ~30 minutes of use. I haven't owned any genuine headphones other than these, but I want to try a pair of open phones. The music I listen to covers a wide variety of genres, ranging from prog rock/prog metal, to pop, to folk, to neo-psychedelia. I often dabble into hip-hop music, jazz, and the occasional funky song. Specific bands I often listen to are Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Third Eye Blind, Tool, The xx, MGMT, Shpongle, The Flaming Lips, Arcade Fire, and The Antlers. I'm really looking for phones with an as-close-as-possible-to-flat response as possible, from 40Hz-20KHz+. I don't care if other people here my music, I just care that I can hear it and that it sounds great.

Really though, I just want to try some new headphones. I want something open, and I don't want it to cost more than $300. I saw the Senn HD 598 recommendation, but I'd probably get the HD 600s instead.

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #8,683 of 29,490

Quote:
Hypothetical question. If I wind up getting the Beyerdynamic DT 880/250 & Ultrasone Pro 900, would it be worth it down the line to get something like the Sennheiser HD 650?

If you're looking to get a sampling and wide range of sounds, I would look into something like a Grado or K701.

Quote:

Hey HeadFi community,

I spent the last 10 hours or so browsing and reading about headphones.
My birthday is coming up so I decided to treat myself to a present :)

I need headphones for home use.
I have a laptop, but I'm going to buy the Asus Xonar U1/U3 external sound card, which has 5.1 and Dolby Headphone.
My music is in flac, and 60% of the time I listen to metal (Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Machine Head etc), the other 40% are grunge or post-grunge and Hardstyle/Hardcore. I enjoy good bass, but not overwhelming and I dont like piercing treble. 

I also plan to watch movies in HD and play some games (but not precision shooters, CounterStrike days are over). 
A mic is not an issue, as I have one in a laptop.

I dont have an amp and I dont want to buy one.

I'm stuck on the following choices:
Grado sr225i
Denon AH-D1100
Beyerdynamics 770 Pro
Sennheiser PC 360

They all have cons and pros, but I still havent found a single review which includes my likes in music.

Maybe you can help me to decide? :)

Thanks in advance!

PS: If I go for sr225i, I will use the Grado 3.5" converter jack.

If going Grado, just go with a SR60 or MS1. It's hard to tell the difference from the 60 to the 225 unless you're really familiar with the brand already.

If going Beyer, I recommend the 880 over the 770 for better balance (basically bass that doesn't overwhelm).

If going Senn, well as already mentioned just get the one without mic.

Quote:
So If I'm going to buy a pair of ATH M50s From Ebay/amazon for a cheaper price, Should I be worried about a fake/malfunctioning pair? (are fake versions of this model even made?
confused_face_2.gif
)

If it's too good to be true, it probably is. Most prices are aroun $130-150 these days.

Quote:
Their are M50  fakes out there. They're one of the most common non-beats fakes, actually. I don't ever really recommend buying from eBay for that exact reason unless it's a trusted seller from other members here on Head-fi. 

I would say a couple of the Sony headphones are probably the most common fakes, but yeah the M50 is right up there.

Quote:
What do you mean 770 is slow? I've read almost only positive things about Beyer.
Grado seems just a bit too risky as I wont have the option to listen to them prior to purchase. Furthermore its not the "rock" sound I want, its metal, the hard stuff.

Sennheisers seem to be the all around balanced pair, like the AKG701 studios. Seems a bit of a fail-proof choice.

What are good choices for 5.1? I thought 770 had a very good soundstage, close to the ATH700

Slow means different things for different people. For some, a "fast" sound is one that has a lot of punch. It could be an overshoot in the impulse response. Conversely, fast could also mean a fast decay (the sound doesn't resonante and drops off very quickly).

Senns are indeed a decent balanced sound with a mild midbass emphasis and moderate decay that give it some warmth. The K701 seems to be a bit more lighter and probably faster decay, with a somewhat cooler sound.

I personally thought the DT770 had lousy soundstage.

Quote:
Looking for new phones, open preferably, warmer if possible (the SR125i and V6 have both been fun, but not relaxing in the least and neither are my speakers making me crave something relaxing), and easily driven by no more than a receiver/preamp (current one is meh, that upgrade may come before new cans though).
Budget is currently $150, likely to go up as the holidays draw nearer, so we'll set the upper limit at $250.
Keep in mind, I'm no basshead (more of a treblehead as my purchases may show), I prefer a more neutral sound, but I can happily listen to a good driver biased toward either side of the spectrum.
Thanks guys.

I'll mirror the recommendation of a Senn, or maybe a Phiaton if you don't mind closed.

Quote:
Hey guys,
I've decided to order a pair of ATH-M50s (sorry to be generic), so I have a few questions:

1. Is the cord tough? All of the audio gear I've broken so far is due to the cable, so this is very important to me. Too bad it's not a detachable cable...then I wouldn't have to worry as much.

2. What does it look like when you wear the coil-cabled M50 while standing up? Is the cord long enough so that the coiled part can stay in the pocket?

3. They're pretty old so are there any other full-sized and closed headphones within $90-$110 that are also worth considering before I get the M50s? My library doesn't have many vocals, by the way (which is why I've currently chosen the M50, which apparently has recessed midtones).

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

It's tough to even find the M50 in that price bracket range these days. Make sure they are authentic.

Another closed portable to consider is the Senn HD280, which is the absolute king of isolation in it's price range (and beyond actually) in full sized cans.

Quote:

They're good headphones (though too bassy for my tastes), but definitely want some amping behind them to get decent volume and headroom.

Quote:

Move up to the Ultrasone Pro750/900 or HFi580. Or for simple ear shaking there's the XB500 which I found stronger than the 700. The Beyer DT770pro is also very strong.

Quote:

If you have an amp, the HD600 is fine. If no amp, go 598.

Oct 30, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #8,684 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks MorbidToaster and derbigpr. and about the soundstage and bass . are 558 and 598  similar together ?
sorry asked too much but this is my last headphone until next 2 year.
and my wallet. i just can buy a little AMP like Fiio E6 if i buy 598
and if buy 558. and can buy an Nuforce or something about 100$ .
so if the differenece between them is 558 just a little darker . i may buy it for saving money
thanks again

sorry quoting my post. can anyone helps me about this. soundstage and bass. thank you :D

Oct 30, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #8,685 of 29,490
Since I found this thread out just now let's copy and paste;

Hello everybody. I want to buy a new pair of headphones. I was originally fixated on either ATH-M50 or Etymotic HF3 but as long as the specifications are met, I'm open to practically anything below $200.

I'll use the headpones for some purposes:
- Listening to Metal music when in the gym (lifting not running/jogging/walking)
- Listening to classical music when studying

- Watching movies and videos
- Listening to practically anything in the school bus

I also want them to be:
- Portable so that I can carry them in my school bag (or a case in the school bag)
- Not detach me from the world 
- Comfortable (Both are pretty good I think)
- Durable and robust

Since mostly I'll listen to metal and classical, I figure bass and mids will be important. Specifically bass should be strong (I will not go as far as to say I'm a basshead but I like a pounding bass for my metal and for the likes of Tocatta and Fugue). I also like listening to a LOT of violin so whatever that sounds good for classical should be important as well (I'm a bit noob here).
Thanks a lot.

PS No amp and not interested in one.
Edit: Now thinking about Grado SR80i, 60i or the ATH-M50. Still lost. I also can feasibly get Monster Turbine Pro. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back