++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 29, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #8,656 of 29,490
HD 600, HD 598. Grado may be the way to go for you, but they're just not for me. Some swear by them for rock.

770 is too boomy and slow, IMO. 

To be honest none of your choices are going to handle Dolby 5.1 too well as they have compressed soundstages. That's just my 2 cents.

Quote:

Hey HeadFi community,

I spent the last 10 hours or so browsing and reading about headphones.
My birthday is coming up so I decided to treat myself to a present :)

I need headphones for home use.
I have a laptop, but I'm going to buy the Asus Xonar U1/U3 external sound card, which has 5.1 and Dolby Headphone.
My music is in flac, and 60% of the time I listen to metal (Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Machine Head etc), the other 40% are grunge or post-grunge and Hardstyle/Hardcore. I enjoy good bass, but not overwhelming and I dont like piercing treble. 

I also plan to watch movies in HD and play some games (but not precision shooters, CounterStrike days are over). 
A mic is not an issue, as I have one in a laptop.

I dont have an amp and I dont want to buy one.

I'm stuck on the following choices:
Grado sr225i
Denon AH-D1100
Beyerdynamics 770 Pro
Sennheiser PC 360

They all have cons and pros, but I still havent found a single review which includes my likes in music.

Maybe you can help me to decide? :)

Thanks in advance!

PS: If I go for sr225i, I will use the Grado 3.5" converter jack.

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #8,657 of 29,490
So If I'm going to buy a pair of ATH M50s From Ebay/amazon for a cheaper price, Should I be worried about a fake/malfunctioning pair? (are fake versions of this model even made?
confused_face_2.gif
)

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #8,658 of 29,490
Their are M50  fakes out there. They're one of the most common non-beats fakes, actually. I don't ever really recommend buying from eBay for that exact reason unless it's a trusted seller from other members here on Head-fi. 

Quote:
So If I'm going to buy a pair of ATH M50s From Ebay/amazon for a cheaper price, Should I be worried about a fake/malfunctioning pair? (are fake versions of this model even made?
confused_face_2.gif
)

Oct 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #8,660 of 29,490
What do you mean 770 is slow? I've read almost only positive things about Beyer.
Grado seems just a bit too risky as I wont have the option to listen to them prior to purchase. Furthermore its not the "rock" sound I want, its metal, the hard stuff.

Sennheisers seem to be the all around balanced pair, like the AKG701 studios. Seems a bit of a fail-proof choice.

What are good choices for 5.1? I thought 770 had a very good soundstage, close to the ATH700
Quote:
HD 600, HD 598. Grado may be the way to go for you, but they're just not for me. Some swear by them for rock.

770 is too boomy and slow, IMO. 

To be honest none of your choices are going to handle Dolby 5.1 too well as they have compressed soundstages. That's just my 2 cents.

Oct 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #8,661 of 29,490
Slow meaning that with metal the drums and speedy guitars will get muddied together. 

Grado seems to be the go-to for rock, and metal. As I said, I personally dislike their sound, but many swear by them. The problem I have is their complete lack of bass, and I love hearing that double bass slam in my metal. 

The 770's soundstage is good...for a closed headphone. Meaning it's not close to a Senn or most other open sets. 

I suggest Senns a lot because they are mostly balanced and excellent all rounders. The 600 or 650 is a little harder to drive, and have a darker sound. More bass, etc. The 598 is easy to drive and have less bass. They focus on the mids. They really bring out guitars and vocals. 

Either way I don't think either is a bad choice. 

Quote:
What do you mean 770 is slow? I've read almost only positive things about Beyer.
Grado seems just a bit too risky as I wont have the option to listen to them prior to purchase. Furthermore its not the "rock" sound I want, its metal, the hard stuff.

Sennheisers seem to be the all around balanced pair, like the AKG701 studios. Seems a bit of a fail-proof choice.

What are good choices for 5.1? I thought 770 had a very good soundstage, close to the ATH700

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #8,662 of 29,490
Its strange you say that, as 770 is one of the favorite headphones for gamers, meaning it has nice soundstage and sound precision.
I also checked out the 600, it sells for twice the price of 770 :frowning2:
The 585 has a worse impedance than 770, spiky in the low end, which suggests its bass stands out above mids and highs.

I've read that Grado has overwhelming highs and lacks some bass, and I as you do like some beats into my ear, especially the drums.

Can you comment on the Denon AH1000? This headset has some nice reviews, but seems left out for uknown reasons.

Quote:
Slow meaning that with metal the drums and speedy guitars will get muddied together. 

Grado seems to be the go-to for rock, and metal. As I said, I personally dislike their sound, but many swear by them. The problem I have is their complete lack of bass, and I love hearing that double bass slam in my metal. 

The 770's soundstage is good...for a closed headphone. Meaning it's not close to a Senn or most other open sets. 

I suggest Senns a lot because they are mostly balanced and excellent all rounders. The 600 or 650 is a little harder to drive, and have a darker sound. More bass, etc. The 598 is easy to drive and have less bass. They focus on the mids. They really bring out guitars and vocals. 

Either way I don't think either is a bad choice. 

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #8,663 of 29,490
I find the 770 way too bassy for gaming and its soundstage still doesn't compare to most open cans. 

Also as far as the impedance is concerned the lower impedance 770s are even muddier than the others from what i've heard with my ears...and they still want a decent amp.

I can't comment on anything below the D2000 as I haven't heard them. Sadly.

Quote:
Its strange you say that, as 770 is one of the favorite headphones for gamers, meaning it has nice soundstage and sound precision.
I also checked out the 600, it sells for twice the price of 770 :frowning2:
The 585 has a worse impedance than 770, spiky in the low end, which suggests its bass stands out above mids and highs.

I've read that Grado has overwhelming highs and lacks some bass, and I as you do like some beats into my ear, especially the drums.

Can you comment on the Denon AH1000? This headset has some nice reviews, but seems left out for uknown reasons.

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #8,664 of 29,490
Damn i just read a good review on 585.
I'm just worried that they wont handle my kind of music.

Can you try something out for me, as I see you own a pair of 585. For example how Deftones - Beware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5JGiLH7tPk
If you rewind this song up to 4:30 where the bass and drums kick in - how does it handle? Keep in mind its a youtube copy, so a flac would obviously prevail.

Or this song: Chimaira - Fascination Street http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrELhY7IvSA
Rewind up to 3:07, theres a heavy bass line there.

Can you comment on the behavior of the earphones please? :) Much appreciated !

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #8,665 of 29,490
I own the 598...not the 585. I was a little thrown when you mentioned it. lol

Quote:
Damn i just read a good review on 585.
I'm just worried that they wont handle my kind of music.

Can you try something out for me, as I see you own a pair of 585. For example how Deftones - Beware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5JGiLH7tPk
If you rewind this song up to 4:30 where the bass and drums kick in - how does it handle? Keep in mind its a youtube copy, so a flac would obviously prevail.

Or this song: Chimaira - Fascination Street http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrELhY7IvSA
Rewind up to 3:07, theres a heavy bass line there.

Can you comment on the behavior of the earphones please? :) Much appreciated !

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #8,668 of 29,490
Looking for new phones, open preferably, warmer if possible (the SR125i and V6 have both been fun, but not relaxing in the least and neither are my speakers making me crave something relaxing), and easily driven by no more than a receiver/preamp (current one is meh, that upgrade may come before new cans though).

Budget is currently $150, likely to go up as the holidays draw nearer, so we'll set the upper limit at $250.

Keep in mind, I'm no basshead (more of a treblehead as my purchases may show), I prefer a more neutral sound, but I can happily listen to a good driver biased toward either side of the spectrum.

Thanks guys.

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #8,669 of 29,490
HD 598 a little closer to Christmas. Worth the wait.

Quote:
Looking for new phones, open preferably, warmer if possible (the SR125i and V6 have both been fun, but not relaxing in the least and neither are my speakers making me crave something relaxing), and easily driven by no more than a receiver/preamp (current one is meh, that upgrade may come before new cans though).

Budget is currently $150, likely to go up as the holidays draw nearer, so we'll set the upper limit at $250.

Keep in mind, I'm no basshead (more of a treblehead as my purchases may show), I prefer a more neutral sound, but I can happily listen to a good driver biased toward either side of the spectrum.

Thanks guys.

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #8,670 of 29,490
Hey guys,
I've decided to order a pair of ATH-M50s (sorry to be generic), so I have a few questions:

1. Is the cord tough? All of the audio gear I've broken so far is due to the cable, so this is very important to me. Too bad it's not a detachable cable...then I wouldn't have to worry as much.

2. What does it look like when you wear the coil-cabled M50 while standing up? Is the cord long enough so that the coiled part can stay in the pocket?

3. They're pretty old so are there any other full-sized and closed headphones within $90-$110 that are also worth considering before I get the M50s? My library doesn't have many vocals, by the way (which is why I've currently chosen the M50, which apparently has recessed midtones).

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back