++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 17, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #8,266 of 29,490

Quote:
So I was about to get the hd25s like two weeks ago but then I hesitated because I'm kinda questioning how much better/ different will they be to a pair of hd280s? Or would I be better off with a pair of like ultrasones? If they are different/ better for vocal based music, I can easily justify paying the $180 or less for them.

HD25 better for rock/metal/etc stuff with strong drums and cymbals and you want some impact. The HD280 is a bit boring in comparison, but I feel it does the mids better and it does have stronger isolation.

Quote:

Interesting thread, hopefully I can get some helpful responses!

I currently own a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900's that which I use for pretty much everything. I'm a student so I spend a fair amount of time at my desk studying and listening to music, I also play competitive FPS and other games when time permits. 

While I really enjoy the overall sound of the 900's I can't keep them on for long periods of time. I find that my ears get really warm and I get a slight headache. 

So now I'm either looking to upgrade, or perhaps look for another pair of headphones to work with the 900's. 

Intended use: Long term listening at my PC, used regularly for gaming.
Music GenresA little bit of everything, mostly electronic (Drum and bass, house, trance, ambient) just for the background music while working. I also listen to a lot of rock (Classic, indie, instrumental) and hip hop. 
Current sources: Asus Essence STX with Flac files whenever possible, otherwise MP3 320. 
Amplifier: Currently using the built in amp with the STX. It seems to be adequate for the 900's.

What I'm looking for:
Comfort: Definitely my biggest gripe with the 900's is that I can't actually enjoy them after a while. My brother wears his AD700's ALL day and I could probably do the same. Unfortunately they just don't sound good to me at all. 
Soundstage: I've tried dozens of "gaming headsets" as well as the regularly recommended headphones for gamers (AD700, HD595, DT770) and *imo* none provide the combination of detail and immersion in game that the 900's do. 
Sound characteristics: I like bass, but it does not need to be exaggerated. The 900's, especially when new, really tested my limits with *bright?* headphones but they got better over time or my ears adjusted. 
Open vs. Closed: If they are comfortable and provide the sound characteristics that I'm looking for then I have no real preference. 

Budget: < $2000 I put this as my budget because I can justify spending that much right now. I spend enough time wearing headphones and listen to enough music that I don't see any reason to really compromise. I also realize that spending that amount on headphones to plug into a $200 sound card might be ridiculous. For now I'm just looking at headphone suggestions. When I make a decision I'll look into upgrading the rest of my audio gear. Also, if there is some DAC, amp, headphone combo that you feel works well feel free to suggest it.

What I'm currently considering:

Beyerdynamic T1 -> Most comments seem to indicate that these are up there in terms of comfort. Possibly not as comfortable as the DT 770/880/990 but still very good.
Denon D7000 -> Haven't read as much on these, seem to be comfortable.
Ultrasone Edition 8 -> Should appeal to people who enjoy the ultrasone sound. People who have owned both the 900's and Ed.8 seem to agree that the Ed.8 are more comfortable and sound better overall.

Open to other suggestions!

If you're gaming and don't want heat buildup, then open headphones should be at the top of your list. Maybe the Audio Technica AD2000 or one of the orthos like the LCD2 or HE500? Mind you, at this budget don't listen to the likes of us; go hand out in the specific threads and try to audition before dropping the big cash.

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #8,267 of 29,490
The D7000 was going to be my recommendation through out your entire post...and it still is. 

With your music preferences and your desire to be immersed rather than drowning out the bass to hear footsteps I think they'd be perfect for you. They're easy to drive but with a budget like yours you could get a sexy little DAC/Amp combo and still be well under budget. 

My D7000 was the absolute bottom line for me on comfort. Simply stunning for comfort.The T1 would be a good choice for gaming alone, but I think you'd be happier with a little more bass for EDM. They're also harder to drive than the Denons.

tl;dr - D7000 all the way. (Maybe with a DAC/Amp upgrade as well...Yulong D100 was my favorite pair with them)

Quote:

Interesting thread, hopefully I can get some helpful responses!

I currently own a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900's that which I use for pretty much everything. I'm a student so I spend a fair amount of time at my desk studying and listening to music, I also play competitive FPS and other games when time permits. 

While I really enjoy the overall sound of the 900's I can't keep them on for long periods of time. I find that my ears get really warm and I get a slight headache. 

So now I'm either looking to upgrade, or perhaps look for another pair of headphones to work with the 900's. 

Intended use: Long term listening at my PC, used regularly for gaming.
Music GenresA little bit of everything, mostly electronic (Drum and bass, house, trance, ambient) just for the background music while working. I also listen to a lot of rock (Classic, indie, instrumental) and hip hop. 
Current sources: Asus Essence STX with Flac files whenever possible, otherwise MP3 320. 
Amplifier: Currently using the built in amp with the STX. It seems to be adequate for the 900's.

What I'm looking for:
Comfort: Definitely my biggest gripe with the 900's is that I can't actually enjoy them after a while. My brother wears his AD700's ALL day and I could probably do the same. Unfortunately they just don't sound good to me at all. 
Soundstage: I've tried dozens of "gaming headsets" as well as the regularly recommended headphones for gamers (AD700, HD595, DT770) and *imo* none provide the combination of detail and immersion in game that the 900's do. 
Sound characteristics: I like bass, but it does not need to be exaggerated. The 900's, especially when new, really tested my limits with *bright?* headphones but they got better over time or my ears adjusted. 
Open vs. Closed: If they are comfortable and provide the sound characteristics that I'm looking for then I have no real preference. 

Budget: < $2000 I put this as my budget because I can justify spending that much right now. I spend enough time wearing headphones and listen to enough music that I don't see any reason to really compromise. I also realize that spending that amount on headphones to plug into a $200 sound card might be ridiculous. For now I'm just looking at headphone suggestions. When I make a decision I'll look into upgrading the rest of my audio gear. Also, if there is some DAC, amp, headphone combo that you feel works well feel free to suggest it.

What I'm currently considering:

Beyerdynamic T1 -> Most comments seem to indicate that these are up there in terms of comfort. Possibly not as comfortable as the DT 770/880/990 but still very good.
Denon D7000 -> Haven't read as much on these, seem to be comfortable.
Ultrasone Edition 8 -> Should appeal to people who enjoy the ultrasone sound. People who have owned both the 900's and Ed.8 seem to agree that the Ed.8 are more comfortable and sound better overall.

Open to other suggestions!

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #8,268 of 29,490
I think the HE 500 is a good recommendation as well, though I didn't find the D7000 to hear up my head either. 

I can understand where he's coming from on the Pro heat though. It gets brutal in between those cans.

Quote:
If you're gaming and don't want heat buildup, then open headphones should be at the top of your list. Maybe the Audio Technica AD2000 or one of the orthos like the LCD2 or HE500? Mind you, at this budget don't listen to the likes of us; go hand out in the specific threads and try to audition before dropping the big cash.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #8,269 of 29,490
@ cokenbeer
Have you tried the DT880?  Reason I ask is that they are supremely comfortable for long gaming sessions, give you a nice (although not overly large) soundstage, and have a great mix of detail + good bass thump for immersion.

I really enjoyed mine when I had them.  MLE also enjoyed them (http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-czs-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone) 8/10 for competitiveness and immersion (see the first post).  D7000 as l;isted above also a killer - unfortunately I haven't heard it.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #8,270 of 29,490

Quote:
@ cokenbeer
Have you tried the DT880?  Reason I ask is that they are supremely comfortable for long gaming sessions, give you a nice (although not overly large) soundstage, and have a great mix of detail + good bass thump for immersion.

I really enjoyed mine when I had them.  MLE also enjoyed them (http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-czs-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone) 8/10 for competitiveness and immersion (see the first post).  D7000 as l;isted above also a killer - unfortunately I haven't heard it.

Yeah, I've tried the DT880 and DT990 and have considered purchasing them to go with the 900's. I just don't think they provide any real improvement other than comfort and actually lose out in other areas. I'm willing to sacrifice the "quantity" of bass on the 900's for "quality" and would also like comfort for extended listening. I want a well rounded headphone that can provide more clarity without eliminating some of the things that make the 900 so much fun!

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #8,271 of 29,490
D7000. 
wink.gif

Quote:

Yeah, I've tried the DT880 and DT990 and have considered purchasing them to go with the 900's. I just don't think they provide any real improvement other than comfort and actually lose out in other areas. I'm willing to sacrifice the "quantity" of bass on the 900's for "quality" and would also like comfort for extended listening. I want a well rounded headphone that can provide more clarity without eliminating some of the things that make the 900 so much fun!

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #8,272 of 29,490
Hey all, I'm helping a friend buy her first pair of higher end headphones (upgrading from iBuds), and I'd just like some quick second opinions.

Her absolute maximum budget is $160, listens mostly to pop and alternative, although I'm fairly certain she listens to some classical too. Comfort and looks are very important so if it's uncomfortable or unsightly then forget about it. High isolation is also important.

The best recommendation I could come up with for her is the M50, and she seems to like it based on what she's seen and read, but I'm wondering what other options exist that deliver value for the money and meet the above criteria? The only other thing I've recc'd was the HD208 and that was a no.

edit: Will be running straight from an iPod

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #8,273 of 29,490
Hello everybody,

I just got some HD 558 that I modded using the 598 mod and I'm happy with them for general use. I use them for everything currently but I'm now looking for some proper mid-range bass headphones that work great for hip hop, electronic music (mainly IDM and trance). Other reason I need closed headphones is for late night listening/public listening. 
These are basically the only choices I have:
-XD 53 (same price as Denon)
-Denon HP1000 (same price as XD 53)
-Pioneer HDJ2000 (100 more bucks than Denon/XD 53)

(I could get some Senn 25- 1-II but they're overpriced as hell here). *Sidenote* can anyone tell me the difference between the Sp II's and the 1-II's? Because the local cost of the Sp's are definitely in my price range. Although, the reviews are quite tame compared to what I hear about the 25 1-11's...Would like some opinions on the difference between them.

Anyway, what would you suggest between these headphones for those genres?

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #8,274 of 29,490
The SP uses an inferior driver. Not worth it IMO.

Also...Get the Xone 53...It's absolutely stunning. I love Denons, but I think something more rugged (that isolates better) would work better in public. 

They are still my favorite headphone to spin with to date.

Quote:
Hello everybody,

I just got some HD 558 that I modded using the 598 mod and I'm happy with them for general use. I use them for everything currently but I'm now looking for some proper mid-range bass headphones that work great for hip hop, electronic music (mainly IDM and trance). Other reason I need closed headphones is for late night listening/public listening. 

(I could get some Senn 25- 1-II but they're overpriced as hell here). *Sidenote* can anyone tell me the difference between the Sp II's and the 1-II's? Because the local cost of the Sp's are definitely in my price range. Although, the reviews are quite tame compared to what I hear about the 25 1-11's...Would like some opinions on the difference between them.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #8,275 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all, I'm helping a friend buy her first pair of higher end headphones (upgrading from iBuds), and I'd just like some quick second opinions.

Her absolute maximum budget is $160, listens mostly to pop and alternative, although I'm fairly certain she listens to some classical too. Comfort and looks are very important so if it's uncomfortable or unsightly then forget about it. High isolation is also important.

The best recommendation I could come up with for her is the M50, and she seems to like it based on what she's seen and read, but I'm wondering what other options exist that deliver value for the money and meet the above criteria? The only other thing I've recc'd was the HD208 and that was a no.

edit: Will be running straight from an iPod

I preferred the 840 over the M50, and pricewise they are comparable now.

Quote:
Hello everybody,

The Denon HP1000 is the same as the Audio Technica Pro700mk2, which review very favourable here and are known to be very bassy.

Anyhow, here's a nice comparison with the cans you're looking at, plus others: http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/headphones_2010.php
(I personally have the HDJ-2000 and think it's fantastic, but it's expensive)

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #8,276 of 29,490

Quote:
I preferred the 840 over the M50, and pricewise they are comparable now.

The Denon HP1000 is the same as the Audio Technica Pro700mk2, which review very favourable here and are known to be very bassy.

Anyhow, here's a nice comparison with the cans you're looking at, plus others: http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/headphones_2010.php
(I personally have the HDJ-2000 and think it's fantastic, but it's expensive)

Sweet! thanks for your post. I was leaning towards the xd 53 but now that you mention they're the same as Audio Technica's I guess that seals the deal. I'm probably gonna get the Denons. Only issue though is that the Denon's don't have a detachable cord while the 700mk2's do, but I think I'm gonna get them anyway as I won't be moving with them that much. I basically need good isolation for the night time more than anything else.

And ya, buying the HDJ-2000 over these other other headphones would feel like paying a lot more just for a detachable cord and somewhat of a more solid build but it's not like I'm actually going to be moving around gigs and such.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #8,277 of 29,490

Quote:
Can anyone reccomend a cheap mp3 player?
I lost my ipod touch 64 gb an my classic 32 gb has a broke screen.
So at the moment I'm using a walkman 2gig.
Its fine but the memory is awful
I want something cheap with good memory.
I obviously want excellent sound
I only need it for music.( no movies, photos wifi or shizz like that)
I need some sort of screen to see what I'm playing
The cowon j3 has been suggested but its kinda out of my budget.

I'm getting the sony mdr-XB500 and I want something with an equalizer because I hear you need some tuning with these headphones.

Sansa Clip + w/Rockbox and a big, fat SD card or two is close to perfect on a budget.  You can get good factory refurbs for even cheaper. I have a couple refurbed E series Sansas and I'm totally happy with them. Can't tell them from new.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #8,279 of 29,490
Hy,

I went to shop today to see what kind of headphones they got. I found 2 that seemed legal. First one is the Phillips SHL9560, but I read that they have noise reduction system built in that also reduces the sound quality (it wasn't written on the box so I'm not too sure about that). Second ones were Sony MDR-XB500. They seem decent though XB700 seems better. But I know little about headphones and audio technology so I hope that you will give me some advice. Is ether of them a good choice ?

As told I don't know much about headphones, but if I'm going to buy ones that cost around 100euro (my budget) then they should be good ones, as 100euros is a lot of money for me :D and am going to need a lot of it in the winter :frowning2:.  Anyhow these are the specs that are important to me:
a) Good bass, love the bass.
b)Sound quality. Haven't had fancy headphones before but read that you can hear sounds that you couldn't before, definitely a thing that I'm willing to pay a extra puck.
c)Looks. I like headphones like the Sony ones I found. Don't like plastic- metal, leather is the way to go.
d)No gadgets like microphone, or a toaster. Yes, a joke...

Would like "on the ear" (?) headphones. That doesn't let sound in or out. The bigger the better :D

If it helps any, then I mostly listen to music that have no to little words, like trance, dnb, "chillout", classical, blues/jazz like music.

Thanks for any tips and advice :)

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #8,280 of 29,490
Hey,

Asked about headphone choice earlier and I'm currently leaning towards getting the HD600's. Wondering if an Asus Xonar Essence XTS is good enough for it? I never owned a headphone amp, a good soundcard or anything so I am really clueless. I would prefer not to bottleneck my sound if at all possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back