++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 16, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #8,206 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey! I'm looking for a new pair of headphones and need some help.* Should be around 200$* I listen to very much different like, Dubstep,RnB,mainstream pop, beatles ans so on.* It should have good detail for beatles and pink floyd, still want great good bass for pop and dubstep.* I'm only going to use it around my comp. so if its bulky, closed or open doesn't matter.* It's going to be connected to my receiver.. 

Get a Beyerdynamic DT880pro and run it off the receiver.

Quote:

Hey, im now looking to buy a new set of headphones, and after reading around the forums, i thought this would be a great place to ask : )

After using the Koss Porta Pro's for a while, i decided to get something better, and thus i bought a pair of AKG 518 LE. They were quite nice, but unfortunately, it broke after just a week, thanks to the cheap plastic which isn't durable enough when collapsing them.

Now im looking for another pair, and i guess il probably get them for christmas.

So, these are my criteria;
* Im willing to spend about 1000 NOK (Norwegian currency), which is approximately 200 USD.
* Must be collapsible, so that i can bring them with me when they aren't around my neck or on my head.
* Cant look too ****ty, but i do not consider the retro look of the Porta Pro's or the Grado headphones ugly, but i dont like the looks of some studio headphones.
* I will definitively use them at school, which means they cant leak that much sound, atleast not as much as the Porta Pro's.
* They will also be used quite alot on busses, and occasionally on trains and airplanes, so they cant let too much sound get in either.
* I mostly listen to Hip-Hop (Lil Wayne, Eminem, 50 Cent, Ky-Mani/Damian Marley), some Dubstep, and sometimes Reggae (as in Bob Marley)
* Oh, i forgot, i will be using them with my laptop and my Iphone, so no amp, atleast not at this time.
* Im not really sure if i want over-ear or on-ear, as long as they fullfill the criteria it doesnt really matter that much.

I've been looking at the Grado SR-60i and SR-80i, thou they would probably leak to much for my use? How much do they leak compared to the Porta Pro's?
I've also been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50, do anyone have any experience with them?

So what would you guys recommend?

The grados are terrible for your use and are practically louder on the outside than in.

How about the bigger AKG K181?

Quote:
So i wanted to get a decent pair of headphones after my Bose Triports got ruined.So after fishing around i finally settled on the Shure HD440 but i head that it needs to be amped to get the best out of it.After that i had settled on the MS1-i since i heard it sounds pretty good unamped and people seem to like it quite a  bit.I plan
on getting a Cowan J3 later on and the headphones as well.but i head the sound quality of the j3 is good enough to use the shure ones without an amp.
Music wise i listen to rock,metal,a tiny bit of instrumental(say 5-7%).Nothing mainstream.Is there a decent set of headphones around the same pricerange
other than the 2 i considered?I also head the HD440s are a bit on the weaker side when it comes to rock music and such.I plan to use it on the j3 and my laptop as well.

Dont care about sound leakage btw:)

Not sure where you heard that the 440 needs an amp... even the 840 does just fine without one. Around the same pricepoint, you could also consider the Sony V6/7506.

Quote:
Hi guru's.  I have a problem but it's a good one.  I have put away roughly $300US over the last couple of months and need headphones to replace and compliment what I already have/had.  From top to bottom in the last few years I have  or have owned ATH-AD700's (still primary @ my desktop) AKG Q350 (stolen) which were top ear buds and I really miss, Klipsch s4's (broken), Sony MDR-NC22's (bought in target for $20 in pink :p that still work), Koss Porta Pro (broken) and I'm currently using cheap Sony Fontopia's on my journey to and from work with a FiiO E5 that is completely unnecessary for them but looks cool.  I thought I wanted IEM's next, but now I seem to be veering towards OE's.

I primarily listen to jazz, rock and metal, some funky soulful house and a little classical but I also listen to a lot of podcasts (SGU, Skeptoid, Geologic, Stone pages, Monster Talk).  I need a set of cans or great IEM's that give good isolation, have a neutral signature I can EQ through my Galaxy SII and Power Amp and a small physical profile.  I always seem to punish in ears a damn site more than on ears so I've been really looking at the HD 25 1-ii, the TMA-1's and the DT1350's but I'm open to suggestions on IEM's and alternatives also. 

Looking forward to your replys.

I just so happen to be finishing up a review of those cans that you're looking at... http://www.head-fi.org/t/574617/review-comparison-beyerdynamic-dt1350-t50p-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-hd25-13-ii-pioneer-hdj-2000-v-moda-m80-aiaiai-tma-1-in-progress

I haven't quite finished with my notes on the M80 and TMA-1 yet, but you can get a sense of them.

Quote:
A Studio Monitor headphone thats also immersive and has a little thicker bass, limit $70.

Sony V6?

Quote:
I'm looking for a good full sized phone to plug into my Cowon j3 without an amp. I use Grado 225s primarily, wanting something with a little more soundstage/bass. $300 is absolutely the highest I'd go, but bang- for- the- buck is also a goal of mine. Open or closed doesnt matter. I'd like to be able to listen to classical, some techno/dance with these things. Thoughts?

If you like your current sound, get a SR60 pop it open and rip out the cloth and punch a couple holes along the vents surrounding the driver. That should bring up your bass and soundstage.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #8,207 of 29,490

Quote:
Velours help a little (and you can get velour headband pads as well, but they are not included), but the clamp will reduce over time. It doesn't make it a ton better, but I wear glasses all the time (blind as a bat) and they can still hurt. 

That was my main issue with them when I owned them the first time. I couldn't deal with it then. About 2 years later I purchased their big brother (25-13) which is the exact same can with new drivers and cable and I could tolerate it then. I guess it all depends on how long your listening sessions are and how sensitive you are to pain. 

Also, EQ does seem inherently evil, but I find myself doing it more and more with my portables. I find that if you can EQ down and not up the sound is excellent. 

Thanks again for all your help MorbidToaster! 
I think I've crossed out the m50s, denons, and HD 25s from my list now. Can't stand ears hurting and your personal experience with HD 25s with velours seals the deal. I actually downloaded Equ for my iphone and am having a ton of fun with it actually haha. My EQ fears have been pretty much removed now. 

I'm about to go for the TMA-1s (thanks again for referring me those) but I was wondering what you thought of the new m-80s from V-Moda. They seem to be extremely comfortable and some are saying have better sound quality than the TMA-1s or the Hd 25s. It doesn't hurt that they don't look too bad either. I can get them for 180$ flat from radioshack right now which seems to be a good deal. Let me know your thoughts. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #8,208 of 29,490
I'm scratch the TMA-1 off that list. I'd also take the HD 25-1 II over the 1350. Others to consider (given your price range)...Ultrasone Pro 750, and the Phiaton MS400...maybe even the ESW9.

Quote:
Hi guru's.  I have a problem but it's a good one.  I have put away roughly $300US over the last couple of months and need headphones to replace and compliment what I already have/had.  From top to bottom in the last few years I have  or have owned ATH-AD700's (still primary @ my desktop) AKG Q350 (stolen) which were top ear buds and I really miss, Klipsch s4's (broken), Sony MDR-NC22's (bought in target for $20 in pink :p that still work), Koss Porta Pro (broken) and I'm currently using cheap Sony Fontopia's on my journey to and from work with a FiiO E5 that is completely unnecessary for them but looks cool.  I thought I wanted IEM's next, but now I seem to be veering towards OE's.

I primarily listen to jazz, rock and metal, some funky soulful house and a little classical but I also listen to a lot of podcasts (SGU, Skeptoid, Geologic, Stone pages, Monster Talk).  I need a set of cans or great IEM's that give good isolation, have a neutral signature I can EQ through my Galaxy SII and Power Amp and a small physical profile.  I always seem to punish in ears a damn site more than on ears so I've been really looking at the HD 25 1-ii, the TMA-1's and the DT1350's but I'm open to suggestions on IEM's and alternatives also. 

Looking forward to your replys.

MDR V6. Done.

Quote:
A Studio Monitor headphone thats also immersive and has a little thicker bass, limit $70.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #8,209 of 29,490
HD 598 hands down. Excellent cans for the job as they have more soundstage and bass than a Grado. 

Quote:
I'm looking for a good full sized phone to plug into my Cowon j3 without an amp. I use Grado 225s primarily, wanting something with a little more soundstage/bass. $300 is absolutely the highest I'd go, but bang- for- the- buck is also a goal of mine. Open or closed doesnt matter. I'd like to be able to listen to classical, some techno/dance with these things. Thoughts?

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #8,210 of 29,490
hey guys, im looking for new gaming headphones, and im a bit conflicted. i was almost ready to buy logitech g930, cause i really wanted the directional sound and everything, but i got some advice to buy headphones without a mic, cause they would sound better.

Thing is, im not really gonna use the mic, i just want great sound quality and that surround feeling, but im not sure if you have to have 7.1 or 5.1 to actually get that.

My budget is around 200 £/euro, but im willing to flex it. I dont really have a dedicated soundcard, and i can go as far as buying that too.

Any help would be appriciated!
smile.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #8,211 of 29,490
I'll refer you to my friend up there's thread. I haven't heard the M80...though with all the buzz I really want to. 

Armaegis is you man as far as M80 questions go. 

Quote:

Thanks again for all your help MorbidToaster! 
I think I've crossed out the m50s, denons, and HD 25s from my list now. Can't stand ears hurting and your personal experience with HD 25s with velours seals the deal. I actually downloaded Equ for my iphone and am having a ton of fun with it actually haha. My EQ fears have been pretty much removed now. 

I'm about to go for the TMA-1s (thanks again for referring me those) but I was wondering what you thought of the new m-80s from V-Moda. They seem to be extremely comfortable and some are saying have better sound quality than the TMA-1s or the Hd 25s. It doesn't hurt that they don't look too bad either. I can get them for 180$ flat from radioshack right now which seems to be a good deal. Let me know your thoughts. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #8,212 of 29,490
Astro Mixamp and the good ol' AD700.

Quote:
hey guys, im looking for new gaming headphones, and im a bit conflicted. i was almost ready to buy logitech g930, cause i really wanted the directional sound and everything, but i got some advice to buy headphones without a mic, cause they would sound better.

Thing is, im not really gonna use the mic, i just want great sound quality and that surround feeling, but im not sure if you have to have 7.1 or 5.1 to actually get that.

My budget is around 200 £/euro, but im willing to flex it. I dont really have a dedicated soundcard, and i can go as far as buying that too.

smile.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #8,213 of 29,490

Quote:

I just so happen to be finishing up a review of those cans that you're looking at... http://www.head-fi.org/t/574617/review-comparison-beyerdynamic-dt1350-t50p-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-hd25-13-ii-pioneer-hdj-2000-v-moda-m80-aiaiai-tma-1-in-progress

I haven't quite finished with my notes on the M80 and TMA-1 yet, but you can get a sense of them.

I've actually gone over it quite a few times, but my main issue is price of the 1350's over the HD's or the TMA's.  Is the extra $100 you have to cough up for the 1350's justified over the $150-$200 mark for the latter two.  Would I be better off getting say the HD's and a PA2V2 or get the 1350's and just use my E5?  I'm a procrastinator, and not looking for a push towards a certain set, just a gentle nudge...  :wink:

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #8,214 of 29,490

Just looking for something good that I can use when the 598 is not an option (too much noise, etc.). The only real requirements I have for them is comfort and cost. I already ordered the 598's for 200, so I am hoping not to spend more than another 100 or so for a nice closed set.

Quote:

It's decent, but I would consider it a step down. Are you looking for anything specific or just a closed headphone to complement the 598?

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #8,215 of 29,490

Quote:
smile.gif

I'll make my best guess at prices in Europe.

Asus Xonar DG (PCI), cost around 35(?) euros
Built in headphone amplifier
Dolby Headphone 5.1

Headphone wise, you could try something low cost.
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S (plus Velour pads), 60-65(?) euros.
Zalmen mic 15(?) Euros

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #8,217 of 29,490

Quote:
I've actually gone over it quite a few times, but my main issue is price of the 1350's over the HD's or the TMA's.  Is the extra $100 you have to cough up for the 1350's justified over the $150-$200 mark for the latter two.  Would I be better off getting say the HD's and a PA2V2 or get the 1350's and just use my E5?  I'm a procrastinator, and not looking for a push towards a certain set, just a gentle nudge...  :wink:

For the price and personal sound preference, I would pick the HD25 over the DT1350.

Quote:
Just looking for something good that I can use when the 598 is not an option (too much noise, etc.). The only real requirements I have for them is comfort and cost. I already ordered the 598's for 200, so I am hoping not to spend more than another 100 or so for a nice closed set.

The HD448 doesn't really isolate all that well. Budget isolation = Senn HD280. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #8,218 of 29,490
Thanks Amaegis!

Ok one last question, how do the HD 598 compare overall to the AKG K601? 
I can actually buy the K601 for about £20 cheaper than the HD598. 

Thank you very much sir.

Quote:
I personally find the AKGs more comfortable, but comfort is such a difficult thing to judge for other people. The AKG has a slightly warmer tilt to it, and I feel a slight edge in stage, while the 598 gives out better detail in the upper end.

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #8,220 of 29,490

Quote:
thanks for the answer! Im gonna look into those. How about Sennheiser HD598 then, would they suffice?

I've been using the Sennheiser HD-558 for over a week, nice sound, but I'm holding off final judgement until they get 100 hours break in.
I'm holding off on the rubber tape removal mod because I do not want to void the warranty with new headphones.
So you could save a few dollars and get the HD-558.
But the HD-598 should suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back