++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 15, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #8,176 of 29,490
(I posted earlier but didn't get any feedback so i am posting again)
I'm a head-fi newbie and I've been looking for headphones since I have 120 dollars and unfortunately, I am slowly becoming an audiophile D: 
I listen to dubstep such as Skrillex. I also listen to rock such as Queen, The Beatles, and Led Zeppelin. I listen to a little bit of Rap here and there. Would the Sennheiser HD555 be good?  Or maybe the 595/598's? I've also been looking at the AD700's but they it doesn't seem like it matches compared to the 555's. I have asked on the MLG Forums and they said I should get these http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-SR80i-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000G3LCQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318573876&sr=8-1
ir

If anyone has any other recommendations then please post here. Thank you in advance :)

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #8,177 of 29,490
@windwolf

The V6 is more engaging than the 280 (IMO), and more comfortable. The both have cumbersome coiled cables, but are both pretty much built to last. I personally think the V6 is a little more so, but I've never really kept/beat up a headphone for 10+ years. 

The V6 has more bass. Most find the 280 bass light from what I've seen (I certainly did). I think either would be a good choice for you, but the V6 would be my personal choice. 

280 has better isolation, but the V6 isn't bad at all. Both are easily powered (and both benefit noticeably from amping).

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #8,179 of 29,490

Quote:
@windwolf

The V6 is more engaging than the 280 (IMO), and more comfortable. The both have cumbersome coiled cables, but are both pretty much built to last. I personally think the V6 is a little more so, but I've never really kept/beat up a headphone for 10+ years. 

The V6 has more bass. Most find the 280 bass light from what I've seen (I certainly did). I think either would be a good choice for you, but the V6 would be my personal choice. 

280 has better isolation, but the V6 isn't bad at all. Both are easily powered (and both benefit noticeably from amping).

This does correspond largely with everything I've read over the past week or so while I've been digesting massive amounts of information.  If I was picking up everything this quickly in my classes, my profs would jump for joy.  So it would have to be between the V6s and the Panasonics.  Can anyone give me a little info on how these two cans compare?  I've heard the Panasonics leak more.

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #8,180 of 29,490

Thank for advice sir

but then how come i read some threads about Ultrasone PRO900 they say it is a super bass headphone ?

and are there any headphone that have more bass than XB700 ? i dont mind about the price

Thank you

Quote:
No. To be honest. I think that the XB700 is my favorite subwoofer bass can until you hit right around the 300 USD mark. 

For $120 the mark up isn't too bad...IMO 

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #8,181 of 29,490

Thank for advice sir

but then how come i read some threads about Ultrasone PRO900 they say it is a super bass headphone ?

and are there any headphone that have more bass than XB700 ? i dont mind about the price

Thank you

XB1000 (Subwoofer), Pro 900 (Kick), Denon D Series (Subwoofer). Like I said...once you hit about 300 USD you get better options.

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #8,182 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, so I posted my question some pages back and got some feedback.  Short form, I'm close to a noob familiar with the Sony V-6 and the MDR-7506, but the best headphones I've ever owned are Skullcrushers, which like all Skullcandy 'phones broke in a few months of use.  The Sony monitors are very clear in tone and last for years.  I've read of several instances of the cans being 10 years old or more.  That sort of built-to-last quality is one of my foremost concerns.  But the monitors aren't the most immersive.  Even though the Skullcrushers weren't as clear and the subwoofer really was just a blob of sound, they were simply more fun.
So now I'm looking at headphones.  If I buy the Sonys, I physically grasp what I'll be getting.  It will be a smart purchase, and I likely won't regret it.  But I can't help but wonder if there is a smarter purchase I could go for instead.  Someone recommended Senn PX 360s for indestructibility, but they cost a lot more than the V6s, and I am but a poor mortal college student.  I can get the V6s for $45.  I've found the Senn HD 280s for $60 used.  Finally, there are the Panasonic RP-HTF600-Ss for $30, velour padding recommended for an additional $20, total $50 cost.
If someone can give me some advice on these three cans, especially concerning where they match on bass, seal (I have to go with closed, since my roommates complain about me being too noisy with my music with only the leakage from my crappy earbuds), comfort (I listen sometimes up to 8 hours or more in a day), and how well they will hold up if I take them with me.  I don't want them breaking, but I tend to wander around listening to music just for its own sake.  I watch TV and movies, play video games, and listen primarily to hard rock, classic rock, and prog rock/metal.  Example bands would be Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, Boston, Jim Croce, Nightwish, and Rurutia.
Thank you!

The Panasonic RP-HTF600-S are semi-open.

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #8,185 of 29,490
I've been looking at IEMs lately for my Sansa Clip+ and have a few questions. Is the positioning of the earbuds detrimental to comfort or sound? By that, I was looking at Joker's IEM thread and I saw some like the Shure SE215 and that he called some IEMs Barrel-style. Also, he talks a lot about cables retaining the shape that they may be in for a period of time. Is that also detrimental to the condition to the IEMs or is it just a pet peeve for some people?

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #8,186 of 29,490
Yes. Proper fit is VERY important. That's why you get multiple tips when you buy a pair of IEMs. Unless you get proper seal your sound will be anemic and they'll continue to fall out and what not. Most higher tier IEMs are made to be worn over the top of the ear and not just hanging out. Something else to remember.

As for the cables the biggest thing to look out for in a review is the noise created by it. IMO the sound doesn't change just because it's got some waves in it from being packaged and coiled that way. But if the cable makes a lot of noise against clothing and what not that can bug some people. 

Quote:
I've been looking at IEMs lately for my Sansa Clip+ and have a few questions. Is the positioning of the earbuds detrimental to comfort or sound? By that, I was looking at Joker's IEM thread and I saw some like the Shure SE215 and that he called some IEMs Barrel-style. Also, he talks a lot about cables retaining the shape that they may be in for a period of time. Is that also detrimental to the condition to the IEMs or is it just a pet peeve for some people?

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #8,188 of 29,490
Hey! I'm looking for a new pair of headphones and need some help.

* Should be around 200$
* I listen to very much different like, Dubstep,RnB,mainstream pop, beatles ans so on.
* It should have good detail for beatles and pink floyd, still want great good bass for pop and dubstep.
* I'm only going to use it around my comp. so if its bulky, closed or open doesn't matter.
* It's going to be connected to my receiver.. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #8,189 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, newbie here. I unfortunately broke my Sennheiser pc350's yesterday and am looking for a replacement. I really like the looks of the hd598 but have never owned open headphones before and am nervous about that. I have the basement all to myself most  of the time, but there is times where my dad will come down and watch tv pretty loud. I was considering getting the 598's and a closed headphones as well, but not sure if I want to spend that much. I like a wide variety of music, I am not much for heavy metal or similar but most everything else can be found in my library. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sound-wise HD598 are in another league compared to PC350's.  Them being opened is not that bad. I mean, when you're not listening to music, you can pretty much hear anything normally when you have them on, but once you put some sound trough them, it eliminates most of the noises (if they're not too loud).   If you really want closed headphones that are on same level as HD598's in  terms of sound, then go for Denon AH-D2000's, but apparently, they dont isolate that well either.  Most headphones that isolate really good are studio headphones, and they are often uncomfortable because they clamp really tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back