++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 15, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #8,161 of 29,490
Hi, newbie here. I unfortunately broke my Sennheiser pc350's yesterday and am looking for a replacement. I really like the looks of the hd598 but have never owned open headphones before and am nervous about that. I have the basement all to myself most  of the time, but there is times where my dad will come down and watch tv pretty loud. I was considering getting the 598's and a closed headphones as well, but not sure if I want to spend that much. I like a wide variety of music, I am not much for heavy metal or similar but most everything else can be found in my library. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #8,162 of 29,490
Phiaton MS300, AIAIAI TMA-1, HD 25-1 II, Skullcandy Aviators, XB500, XB700, Ultrasone Pro 750 (Used), HFI 580, HFI 780...

So many options at that price point. My favorites would be...XB700 (on my head with DubStep playing atm actually), HD 25-1 II, and the Pro 750.

What kind of bass do you want...? Hard hitting or subwoofer bass?

Quote:
Seeking some advice here. I'm new to this, and my budget is maximum 200$. I've only owned PortaPro and some Skullcandy (which i quickly found out was crap)  so i don't know much about this.
I'll be using them mostly on my computer, but probably iPod too. I'd like a headset with good bass, since i listen to Dubstep alot.
Any suggestions?

The 598 is an excellent headphone and I think it'd be a fairly easy transition from a Grado. Bass will be noticeably better. Also take a look at the Pro 750 as an option. Excellent bass, and excellent impact if you want something closed. 

Quote:
Hey guys! Alex here. I'm still relatively new to the world of headphones. I just got my first "high-end" pair of headphones a while back (the Grado 225is), and I have to say, they're pretty fricking awesome. Absolutely a step up from those Beats everybody's flaunting around. Anyway, I think its time to move on and see what else the audio industry has to offer. I listen to rock music (at maximum volume, mind you), and want a nice, deep bass. I don't plan on using a headphone amp, so a low impedence would be better. I've had my eye on the Sennheiser HD 448s, Sennheiser HD 598s, and the Grado 335is for a while now. Which do you think would be better, and do you have any other suggestions? Thanks! :) 

-Alex

HD 280 or MDR V6. Both are budget staples as far as monitoring headphones go. Both are fairly flat (the HD 280 more so, IMO). Both excellent for the price.

Quote:
Hi, I have just recently started getting into music production and am going to be purchasing a pair of studio monitors and headphones as it is something I want to take up seriously. Am planning on getting a pair of KRK Rokit-6's for monitors, but not sure what to go for when it comes to headphones so was wondering if anyone could give me any advice?

I am on a budget for the both though and would rather spend a bit more on the monitors over the headphones, so probably looking at up to £100.

Thanks in advance!

You could get the HD 598 and a closed Superlux or ProDJ100. The HD 598 is the ultimate all rounder in my mind. It just does so many things right. If you want to stay closed take a look at the Pro 750. Good closed all rounder. 

Quote:
Hi, newbie here. I unfortunately broke my Sennheiser pc350's yesterday and am looking for a replacement. I really like the looks of the hd598 but have never owned open headphones before and am nervous about that. I have the basement all to myself most  of the time, but there is times where my dad will come down and watch tv pretty loud. I was considering getting the 598's and a closed headphones as well, but not sure if I want to spend that much. I like a wide variety of music, I am not much for heavy metal or similar but most everything else can be found in my library. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #8,163 of 29,490

Quote:
Phiaton MS300, AIAIAI TMA-1, HD 25-1 II, Skullcandy Aviators, XB500, XB700, Ultrasone Pro 750 (Used), HFI 580, HFI 780...

So many options at that price point. My favorites would be...XB700 (on my head with DubStep playing atm actually), HD 25-1 II, and the Pro 750.

What kind of bass do you want...? Hard hitting or subwoofer bass? 

Thanks for replying, I'd prefer hard hitting bas. Could only find the XB700 in Norway though, and ordering any of the others from other countries would get too expensive. Any other headsets you would recommend? Been loking a bit at m50 and hd598.. would those be any good?

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #8,164 of 29,490
I think most of the ones I listed out-do the M50 by a fair bit, and are similarly priced. If you like hard hitting my choices would then be the HD 25-1 II, Pro 750, and HFI 580.

I love the 598 for EDM, but I usually avoid recommending it because you never know how much bass someone will want...and when it comes to bass more is easier to get rid of. 

The 598 is also open so you'd get a lot of sound leaking in and out if that's an issue.

Quote:

Thanks for replying, I'd prefer hard hitting bas. Could only find the XB700 in Norway though, and ordering any of the others from other countries would get too expensive. Any other headsets you would recommend? Been loking a bit at m50 and hd598.. would those be any good?

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #8,165 of 29,490

Quote:
I think most of the ones I listed out-do the M50 by a fair bit, and are similarly priced. If you like hard hitting my choices would then be the HD 25-1 II, Pro 750, and HFI 580.

I love the 598 for EDM, but I usually avoid recommending it because you never know how much bass someone will want...and when it comes to bass more is easier to get rid of. 

The 598 is also open so you'd get a lot of sound leaking in and out if that's an issue. 

Found the XB700 for about 120$. I'm considering them, but also considering DT770. How are they against each other? The DT770 is almost twice the price, so I guess they might be better?

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #8,167 of 29,490
No. To be honest. I think that the XB700 is my favorite subwoofer bass can until you hit right around the 300 USD mark. 

For $120 the mark up isn't too bad...IMO

Quote:
Found the XB700 for about 120$. I'm considering them, but also considering DT770. How are they against each other? The DT770 is almost twice the price, so I guess they might be better?

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #8,168 of 29,490
Cool, thanks for the recommendations. How are the ProDJ100 in terms of comfort? I have a fairly big head and wear glasses, so comfort is always a concern.

Quote:
You could get the HD 598 and a closed Superlux or ProDJ100. The HD 598 is the ultimate all rounder in my mind. It just does so many things right. If you want to stay closed take a look at the Pro 750. Good closed all rounder. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #8,169 of 29,490
They don't clamp tightly, but the headband has some pressure problems for me. Not too bad by any means, but it could be a problem for those more sensitive to it than I.

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the recommendations. How are the ProDJ100 in terms of comfort? I have a fairly big head and wear glasses, so comfort is always a concern.

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #8,170 of 29,490
What would be the best music playlist to break in new headphones? Does the sound you are looking for affect the music you should play? Also, should I buy IEMs for my Sansa Clip+ or just use my newly bought Creative Aurvana Live! for it?

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #8,171 of 29,490
I much prefer cans to IEMs, so that's where I stand there. 

It really all depends on how portable you really want to be. A Clip+ and IEMs is about as good as it gets. 

As far as burn in...just put on some music by your favorite band on slightly louder than you'd listen and let it play. Just set it to loop and leave it. I change my burn in tunes every now and then because I'm paranoid about it 'burning in wrong', but it doesn't seem to change the end results to me.

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #8,172 of 29,490

Thank for advice sir

but then how come i read some threads about Ultrasone PRO900 they say it is a super bass headphone ?

and are there any headphone that have more bass than XB700 ? i dont mind about the price
Quote:
No. To be honest. I think that the XB700 is my favorite subwoofer bass can until you hit right around the 300 USD mark. 

For $120 the mark up isn't too bad...IMO 

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #8,173 of 29,490

Quote:

Which Beyerdynamic DT-770 model are you thinking of getting?
Pro 80-Ohm
Pro 250-Ohm
Pro 32-Ohm
or other?

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #8,175 of 29,490
Hey, so I posted my question some pages back and got some feedback.  Short form, I'm close to a noob familiar with the Sony V-6 and the MDR-7506, but the best headphones I've ever owned are Skullcrushers, which like all Skullcandy 'phones broke in a few months of use.  The Sony monitors are very clear in tone and last for years.  I've read of several instances of the cans being 10 years old or more.  That sort of built-to-last quality is one of my foremost concerns.  But the monitors aren't the most immersive.  Even though the Skullcrushers weren't as clear and the subwoofer really was just a blob of sound, they were simply more fun.

So now I'm looking at headphones.  If I buy the Sonys, I physically grasp what I'll be getting.  It will be a smart purchase, and I likely won't regret it.  But I can't help but wonder if there is a smarter purchase I could go for instead.  Someone recommended Senn PX 360s for indestructibility, but they cost a lot more than the V6s, and I am but a poor mortal college student.  I can get the V6s for $45.  I've found the Senn HD 280s for $60 used.  Finally, there are the Panasonic RP-HTF600-Ss for $30, velour padding recommended for an additional $20, total $50 cost.

If someone can give me some advice on these three cans, especially concerning where they match on bass, seal (I have to go with closed, since my roommates complain about me being too noisy with my music with only the leakage from my crappy earbuds), comfort (I listen sometimes up to 8 hours or more in a day), and how well they will hold up if I take them with me.  I don't want them breaking, but I tend to wander around listening to music just for its own sake.  I watch TV and movies, play video games, and listen primarily to hard rock, classic rock, and prog rock/metal.  Example bands would be Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, Boston, Jim Croce, Nightwish, and Rurutia.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back