++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 15, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #8,146 of 29,490
If you do some research before you start modding away you can go with one of the 'full mods' like the RastaPants 2 and potentially get something that measures better than the LCD 2. I'm excited to try it myself.

Quote:
I was leaning towards the Sony XB700s, but I just ordered the Fostex T50RPs and plan on modding them, may as well just right into this scene head on, ya know?

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #8,149 of 29,490
A lot of people are talking about this "Grado Sound" (kind of makes me want to try it) What Grado is in the pricerange of 300$? And how would it compare to the DT1350?

Thank you :)

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #8,151 of 29,490

Quote:
If you want to use your headphones at the gym, the HD 25-1 IIs are the only choice. The split headband will keep them locked on your head no matter how much you move about, whereas the ZX700s and M50s would just fall off.

For use on the bus, the HD 25s isolate fairly well. Unfortunately, this is because they clamp on to your head quite tightly.

However, the HD 25s don't have as much bass presence - the bass is noticeably present, but it's not a dubstep headphone by any means. It's more 'pop' than 'boom', I'd say.

I think you'd still enjoy them nonetheless. Can't go wrong with the HD 25s.

Quote:
I would suggest the Denon AH-D1100.  They are pretty portable and very comfortable.  While they would have the bass you want the mids are a bit recessed.  I would say the M50s and the HD-25s would probably hurt if you are wearing glasses.

Quote:
I think you'd fine the HD 25 and the M50 uncomfortable. I'd suggest taking a look at the AIAIAI TMA-1. They're more comfortable than most portables, but still have decent isolation (even though the clamp isn't hard). 

I wear glasses and wore my TMA-1 for 8 hours once without any problems. Regularly used them for 5+ hour listening sessions. They will need EQ to work with all genres, but with EQu on your iPhone, you'd be golden. No need for a portable amp either.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated. Hadn't heard of the TMA-1 before but they seem like a great contender. I'm not too keen on EQ work (just feels weird to EQ my music to me, like I'm changing something intrinsic to the song that shouldn't be changed.) I'll have to get used to that I guess if I decide on the TMA-1. 

Denons look great as well. I heard they can be found below 200 (amazon has them for 200 right now) so I'm going to see if I can get a deal on those.

Seems that the consensus is that the HD 25 with glasses might hurt a bit even though they are considered the standard for great portable cans. Would the clamping be improved over time by stretching/constant use and would velour pads help at all? I'm pushing for the HD 25 since it has received so much praise, is customizable, and has the possibility to be used at the gym which was be an awesome bonus. Thanks again. Damn I'm so indecisive. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #8,152 of 29,490
what headphones would you recommend between the audio technica ath m50s and the akg k240mkii.
i listen to a lot of rock, pop and some instruments as well (classical piano & voilin ). here are some of the artist i listen to most commonly:
Freelancers, GnR, fleet foxes, acid house kings, meiko, mozart, f. lizst etc.

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #8,154 of 29,490
Velours help a little (and you can get velour headband pads as well, but they are not included), but the clamp will reduce over time. It doesn't make it a ton better, but I wear glasses all the time (blind as a bat) and they can still hurt. 

That was my main issue with them when I owned them the first time. I couldn't deal with it then. About 2 years later I purchased their big brother (25-13) which is the exact same can with new drivers and cable and I could tolerate it then. I guess it all depends on how long your listening sessions are and how sensitive you are to pain. 

Also, EQ does seem inherently evil, but I find myself doing it more and more with my portables. I find that if you can EQ down and not up the sound is excellent.

Quote:

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated. Hadn't heard of the TMA-1 before but they seem like a great contender. I'm not too keen on EQ work (just feels weird to EQ my music to me, like I'm changing something intrinsic to the song that shouldn't be changed.) I'll have to get used to that I guess if I decide on the TMA-1. 

Denons look great as well. I heard they can be found below 200 (amazon has them for 200 right now) so I'm going to see if I can get a deal on those.

Seems that the consensus is that the HD 25 with glasses might hurt a bit even though they are considered the standard for great portable cans. Would the clamping be improved over time by stretching/constant use and would velour pads help at all? I'm pushing for the HD 25 since it has received so much praise, is customizable, and has the possibility to be used at the gym which was be an awesome bonus. Thanks again. Damn I'm so indecisive. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #8,155 of 29,490
Seeking some advice here. I'm new to this, and my budget is maximum 200$. I've only owned PortaPro and some Skullcandy (which i quickly found out was crap)  so i don't know much about this.
I'll be using them mostly on my computer, but probably iPod too. I'd like a headset with good bass, since i listen to Dubstep alot.
Any suggestions?

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #8,156 of 29,490
What's up guys, new here and to the world of headphones. Not an audiophile, however while looking for a good headset for my new computer build I was promptly told that 7.1 and 5.1 sets were gimmicks and crap compared to a real headphone.

I really can't justify spending more than $90 on a pair (in my mind, I could've used that money to get something much better), and i'm looking for a good "all-around" pair with I guess the correct word would be natural sound. They have to be isolated (live with roomates) and good quality (or at least better than the supposed bad typical gaming sets).

So my research has led me to Sony's MDR-V6's with a Zalman mic clip. Can get both for about ~$75.

My question is, would the sony's be good for gaming, music, and movies? Don't really care about portability, but is it good for the price compared to other much more expensive sets?

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #8,157 of 29,490
Hey guys! Alex here. I'm still relatively new to the world of headphones. I just got my first "high-end" pair of headphones a while back (the Grado 225is), and I have to say, they're pretty fricking awesome. Absolutely a step up from those Beats everybody's flaunting around. Anyway, I think its time to move on and see what else the audio industry has to offer. I listen to rock music (at maximum volume, mind you), and want a nice, deep bass. I don't plan on using a headphone amp, so a low impedence would be better. I've had my eye on the Sennheiser HD 448s, Sennheiser HD 598s, and the Grado 335is for a while now. Which do you think would be better, and do you have any other suggestions? Thanks! :) 

-Alex

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #8,158 of 29,490
Hi, I have just recently started getting into music production and am going to be purchasing a pair of studio monitors and headphones as it is something I want to take up seriously. Am planning on getting a pair of KRK Rokit-6's for monitors, but not sure what to go for when it comes to headphones so was wondering if anyone could give me any advice?

I am on a budget for the both though and would rather spend a bit more on the monitors over the headphones, so probably looking at up to £100.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #8,159 of 29,490
I'm looking to for a comparison between HD 598, AKG 240 Mkii and FA-011.

I was set on the HD598 but they cost £60 more than the other 2. the AKG being the cheapest for me.

How do they compare in terms of sound stage, comfort and build quality? Which one, if any has the overall best sound?

Thanks a lot.

David

EDIT: Forget FA-011, review looked good but after reading though the thread i'm put off. Need them to be comfortable. Don't want bass heavy.

Wish I could demo the 598 somewhere but only found the 429? which sounded horrible. Demo'd Denon D1100 for 10 mins, sounded good but bassy and lacking mids and sound stage I think.

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #8,160 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys! Alex here. I'm still relatively new to the world of headphones. I just got my first "high-end" pair of headphones a while back (the Grado 225is), and I have to say, they're pretty fricking awesome. Absolutely a step up from those Beats everybody's flaunting around. Anyway, I think its time to move on and see what else the audio industry has to offer. I listen to rock music (at maximum volume, mind you), and want a nice, deep bass. I don't plan on using a headphone amp, so a low impedence would be better. I've had my eye on the Sennheiser HD 448s, Sennheiser HD 598s, and the Grado 335is for a while now. Which do you think would be better, and do you have any other suggestions? Thanks! :) 

-Alex

Save a few dollars, how about the Sennheiser HD-558 with the mod (remove black rubber tape).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back