++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 23, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #7,441 of 29,490

Quote:
My vote goes to the DT880. It has a very nice balanced sound and staging. You could also go with the DT990 which gives up some midrange for more soundstage and a more aggressive tone. 

I'm not as interested in the 990, but the DT880 has been pretty much my top pick for a while now. However, I am slightly concerned with regard to the impedance-- at 600 Ohms, the DT880s are going to max out my card. They should be driven fine according to what others have said in the past, but that's pretty much the only reason I haven't already picked up a pair.

Well, that and the release of the HE-300.  Since they're in the price bracket I wish there were more reviews (I've already read Headfonia's and the one or two threads here about them).

Thanks for the input though, it's just one more thing to vouch for the 880s.

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #7,442 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm planning to get a friend of mine who listens exclusively to indie rock (at 320kbps, due to my recommendation) some new headphones. He is currently listening with $5 sony earbud that gives out horrible bass. Is the Koss KSC75 good for him ? The FR graphs seems to suggest its good for rock as it is some what similar to the Grado SR60

PS: Isolation is not wanted and my budget is <$50

The KSC75 or Porta Pros are excellent entry level headphones. 

Quote:
What else should I buy along with the AD 700?.. Does it need sound card or the on board will function okay? (Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-USB3L)

If I have to buy sound card, what would it be? Asus Xonar DG?
Does it function 100% with the AD 700?
Should I go for the AD700 for gaming?
Do they sound really bad in Action films (No bass?)

Thanks.

You'll be fine without a sound card to start. But if you decide to upgrade, any of the Xonar or X-Fi cards are generally ok.
Any soundcard should work with an AD700. 
AD700 is excellent for gaming
There's bass but not tons of it. It'll be fine for most purposes, but don't expect subwoofer levels on your ear. 

Quote:
i have the same question with ozil. i odered ad700 for watching HD moive on my laptop. i have some question : i want to buy a USB soundcard, what should is it ( for movies) : earforces dss 7.1 or creative x-fi 5.1 usb. or something else . and are those soundcard worth itself ?
thanks and sorry for my Eng.
and 1 more ques :d : what headphone is best for watching movies under 200$ . both open and closed . i just want to ask if ad700 does not satisfy me . thanks again :D:D

In general, you get what you pay for. Personally, I have the Turtle Beach Micro ($25) and it works well for me. It also serves as a usb->optical converter.

MorbidToaster recommended the Senn HD598, and that's a pretty safe bet as it's an excellent all-rounder. Ultrasones are also nice for movies as they provide their S-Logic soundstage which I sometimes find a bit weird for music and gaming, but works well for movies.

Quote:
Sony V6/7506/ZX700
Shure 440/550

Senn PX200-ii

KRK 6400

how would you compare these to a set of m50's?

thanks again!

The M50 is one step up in price bracket from those, but I'll give some general thoughts anyways. 
M50: punchy bass and highs, mids slightly withdrawn
Sony V6/7506: flatter response, more treble energy, compacts smaller
Shure 440: also flatter response, slightly bassier than V6 but also subbass rolls off sooner
Senn PX200-ii: typical Senn mild midbass hump, clean bass, tiny portable

Quote:
I'm not as interested in the 990, but the DT880 has been pretty much my top pick for a while now. However, I am slightly concerned with regard to the impedance-- at 600 Ohms, the DT880s are going to max out my card. They should be driven fine according to what others have said in the past, but that's pretty much the only reason I haven't already picked up a pair.

Well, that and the release of the HE-300.  Since they're in the price bracket I wish there were more reviews (I've already read Headfonia's and the one or two threads here about them).

Thanks for the input though, it's just one more thing to vouch for the 880s.

Go with the 250ohm version then. I actually preferred that one to the 600. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #7,443 of 29,490
So im still a bit confused, and I can go 30-40$ more than the AD 700.

What about other headphones in general, like the DT440 or SRH 440....
I want a HP that has everything, specially gaming and in movies.. music as well. so I want a HP that covers all three things..

the Gaming, movies and Music..

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #7,445 of 29,490

Quote:
So im still a bit confused, and I can go 30-40$ more than the AD 700.

What about other headphones in general, like the DT440 or SRH 440....
I want a HP that has everything, specially gaming and in movies.. music as well. so I want a HP that covers all three things..

the Gaming, movies and Music..

Go with something like a Senn HD518/558 if you want an all-rounder that's easy to drive.

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #7,446 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking for recommendations for headphones that fulfill a number of requirements:

- good for listening to full orchestral music, giving a sense of clarity, space and depth.
- need to be lightweight, minimul pressure, ideally sitting on the ear and not pressing below the ear at all. I have tinnitus arising from a problem with my jaw, and any pressure on the jaw muscle immediately below the ear makes the tinnitus worse. I have tried the ATH-AD1000 and they are definite NOT ok for me. It was these headphones that caused my underlying jaw problems to show up in the first place.
- can be with our without a headphone amp, but the total cost of my outlay can't be more than approximately $1,000 (Australian)
- I have been recommended the Allesandro MS-Pro's for comfort and lightness, but have heard that they are not so good for soundstage.

Audio Technica is kind of funny about some of the frames they use for their headphones, for some reason a lot of them are lacking a hinge at the cup to allow the phone to swivel.  The AD-1000 doesn't have the hinge, but the A900 does.  Not sure why they don't just put that hinge on all their phones.  

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #7,447 of 29,490

Quote:
The KSC75 or Porta Pros are excellent entry level headphones. 

Thanks for the replie, seems like that friend of mine is going to get a KSC75 then 
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #7,448 of 29,490
Looking for the ultimate death metal can :D

Basically a grado without sibilance

Sound signature:
Highs: Rolled off yet detailed highs with no sibilance. 
Mids: lush and forward mids with great stress on voices and percussion, particularly all having the correct timbre of snare hits, rim shots, bass drum kicks, and tom hits. I want the snare to "snap" and the bass kick punch to throttle my head a little bit. Yes, I play the drums.
Lows: Low end needs to be firm and maybe slightly emphasized to simulate natural hearing of low frequency presensce in balanced speakers. I want it to be strong, deep, and be a nice cradle for the rest of the sound signature.

I want these to be either FRONT ROW or ON STAGE.

Wide soundstage is prefered but i have found through research that it is hard to retain the intimate forward sound while also maintaining a wide soundstage.

I made a big mistake with the ATH-M50's, being extremely unintimate and sibilant in the highs, so maybe ill see what i can get with this description :D

Budget: None more than $500. Can be new or used.

Sep 24, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #7,449 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for the ultimate death metal can :D

Basically a grado without sibilance

Sound signature:
Highs: Rolled off yet detailed highs with no sibilance. 
Mids: lush and forward mids with great stress on voices and percussion, particularly all having the correct timbre of snare hits, rim shots, bass drum kicks, and tom hits. I want the snare to "snap" and the bass kick punch to throttle my head a little bit. Yes, I play the drums.
Lows: Low end needs to be firm and maybe slightly emphasized to simulate natural hearing of low frequency presensce in balanced speakers. I want it to be strong, deep, and be a nice cradle for the rest of the sound signature.

I want these to be either FRONT ROW or ON STAGE.

Wide soundstage is prefered but i have found through research that it is hard to retain the intimate forward sound while also maintaining a wide soundstage.

I made a big mistake with the ATH-M50's, being extremely unintimate and sibilant in the highs, so maybe ill see what i can get with this description :D

Budget: None more than $500. Can be new or used.

How about an Alessandro? Or maybe a Magnum. Or if you're comfortable modding, then whatever the best grado you can afford, then open up some of the vents and line the cup with a dampening material. 

The HD25-1-ii is an excellent metal can, or if you want slightly better performance then try and find a HD25-13 which is the 600 ohm version and as far as I know is only available in Europe. Sound is fairly even throughout and dips down in the highs, with a single narrow peak near the end which can easily be EQ'd down if it bothers you (I hate sibilance and I have no issue with this peak). Soundstage is not the greatest though. 

For downturned treble, how about one of the Phiatons? Their house sound is warm and bassy with a rolled off treble. The MS300 has a nice quick punch to it and is the most grado-like, the MS400 is more lush in the mids, the PS500 is more V shaped. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #7,452 of 29,490
redirecting someone here :D

Quote:
Hey guys. I'm looking to buy my first pair of high quality headphones. I will be using them with an ipod classic. I listen to classical music, so I don't need a ton of bass, and I also listen to long lectures and sometimes movies, so comfort is one of the most important things to me. I prefer around the ear, and noice cancelling would be very nice, but not a necessity. I have tried a whole bunch of headphone brands, to see which I like best comfort wise, and I definately want bose or sennheiser. I was looking into the RS 180 because the wireless would be nice, since these will mostly be for home listening, but im afraid that the sound quality will not be good enough. I am willing to pay around 200 dollars on an amp if needed, but I would prefer not to have to. Any suggestions?

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #7,453 of 29,490
Right now I have some Sony MDR-V700 DJ Studio headphones (I got these 4 years ago for christmas). I am looking to upgrade in sound quality, and i have a few questions

I like my Sony's just fine for everyday use, but I would like some thing better for music listening.

I'm a bit of a bass enthusiast, but I don't want to skip out on the highs, and I hate a fake sounding "boosted" bass, I like the real thing, just clear. In my Sony's the bass gets flat in the lower register. Fuller bass would be awesome. (quality, not quantity)

I am not sure on the sound difference of an open can compared to closed. How much sound bleeds out of the open cans? Would people hear what I was listening to if I were listening on the bus? Would I hear conversations in the hallways at college? I'd like something that I can bring with me around, but if it's going to bleed sound, than I'm ok with having them at home only and bringing my Sony's with me instead. (if it really makes a lot of difference in quality)

what does an Amplifier do for headphones? The only amplifiers I am familiar with are the ones you plug electric guitars/basses into. What do they really do for a nice pair of cans? IF I was looking for a decent but cheap portable amp for a first time rig, where would I look?

I was looking at Grados, and most reviews are glowing, but some reviews said that their sound is too bright, which I don't think i would like. I'm not sure what to trust.

My music preferences are: Rock, Jazz, Classical, Soundtracks, Metal, Electronic, Alternative, And the occasional Country if I'm feeling like listening to johnny cash.
my budget is about $200 on some headphones.
maybe $100 on a portable amp.

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #7,455 of 29,490
Okay, I have a Little Dot MKIV tube amp and a pair of FA-003 which I really love. I tried a pair of Sennheiser HD600 but I found that they weren't any better than the FA-003, in fact I preferred certain aspects of the FA-003 - the bass impact and control.

I listen to blues, jazz, classical & vocal female mainly and then everything else. I am currently trying out the Beyer DT880 600 ohm which arrived today. Like these but after a few hours the bass seems average and not enough.

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions? I'm not a bass addict, but sometimes a bit if deep stuff does add to the drama and depth of the music. Should I have got the dt990s? I have been told that these have less bass by Beyer but on here the verdict is the 990s have more bass. Are there any other options like an audio technica or akg or something else that will work?

I wanted an alternative headphone to the FA-003, budget max £100-£300, but am really struggling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back