++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 23, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #7,426 of 29,490

Quote:
Ok, I need a pair of full size cans, preferably open. I have about $115 in amazon credit from trading in some textbooks. So I'm not looking to spend much more. I want something with decent bass response, since I'll be listening to mostly rock, pink floyd and other classic rock to more modern stuff. I was looking at the ATH-AD700 but had concerns about the reportedly anemic bass response. I'm not looking for overwhelming bass but enough to sound full. Would the AD700s be a good choice or are there any other suggestions?

Shure SRH840 - $129 on Amazon - they're not an uber-bassy can - but they do deliver a nice response across the whole spectrum.  Probably a little more mid-bass than sub-bass, but pretty good with rock.  I really enjoyed Floyd with them when I owned them.

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #7,427 of 29,490

Quote:
Budget: $150-$250
Type: Open or Closed, Doesn't Matter, Low Impedance preferred
Music Type: Indie Rock, Electronic Music

I'm looking for headphones with a lot of character and fun, I'm not necessarily looking for something neutral. I just want indie and electronic/techno music to sound great. I like bands like The Shins, Arcade Fire, Bloc Party, Daft Punk. They should also be comfy and not always require an amp.

Something Ultrasone should fit the bill.

Quote:
I have a set of Audio Technica A900's, and I like their mids but I'd like something with a bit more in the top and bottom end.  Right now I'm thinking about the HE-300's, HE-4's, or maybe the HD-650's.  I'll probably be running these off of an Audio GD DAC/amp combo, probably the NFB-5.  

Thanks for any help.  

Ooh, I say go ortho with the HE-4.

Quote:
Ok this is for a friend and I need headfi ers help, He wants great sounding headphones, that have nice bass but not too much with good comfort and isolation, for 100$ or less and have to be over ear thanks!

Senn HD280 has great isolation and nice bass.

Quote:
Ok, I need a pair of full size cans, preferably open. I have about $115 in amazon credit from trading in some textbooks. So I'm not looking to spend much more. I want something with decent bass response, since I'll be listening to mostly rock, pink floyd and other classic rock to more modern stuff. I was looking at the ATH-AD700 but had concerns about the reportedly anemic bass response. I'm not looking for overwhelming bass but enough to sound full. Would the AD700s be a good choice or are there any other suggestions?

You're looking for open? Maybe the Senn HD518

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #7,430 of 29,490
Sep 23, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #7,431 of 29,490
I am looking for recommendations for headphones that fulfill a number of requirements:

- good for listening to full orchestral music, giving a sense of clarity, space and depth.
- need to be lightweight, minimul pressure, ideally sitting on the ear and not pressing below the ear at all. I have tinnitus arising from a problem with my jaw, and any pressure on the jaw muscle immediately below the ear makes the tinnitus worse. I have tried the ATH-AD1000 and they are definite NOT ok for me. It was these headphones that caused my underlying jaw problems to show up in the first place.
- can be with our without a headphone amp, but the total cost of my outlay can't be more than approximately $1,000 (Australian)
- I have been recommended the Allesandro MS-Pro's for comfort and lightness, but have heard that they are not so good for soundstage.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #7,432 of 29,490
Hello all,

I've been on here on and off for a little while, and lurking for much longer than that. Current gear is in my sig, and comprises a system that can be either portable or static depending on my needs (I traveled a lot until very recently). I've also recently acquired a set of RE-ZEROs, and find them very much to my liking, if that helps at all.

However, now that I'm in a more permanent housing situation, I'm looking to get a pair of 'real' desktop cans in the mid-fi range. I'd prefer to keep suggestions to what I can reasonably power with my desktop setup as it is right now, but might expand later.

Price range: $300ish (US), but I can swing a fair ways on that if necessary

I'm currently looking at a number of headphones in this range, mostly trying to choose between HE-300, DT880, SR-225i (or maybe even 325i), the Senn HD6xx range, and possibly HE-4 (though that would most certainly require a new amp, which puts them a little more remote for the time being).

In terms of sound signature, I'd like something relatively neutral but still musical (though I do very much enjoy the Grado signature, so the 225i is certainly an option). I like detail, but am leery of the overly bright and sparkly sound so often discussed with regard to the 325i's-- and on top of that, some of my favorite songs I only have in lossy formats at the moment, so something too detailed or revealing might not be the best idea. I always prefer open to closed. I prefer quality and texture to quantity when it comes to bass. I like soundstage, especially given some of my genre interests. Having listened pretty intently to a set of K701s, I can safely say that I definitely don't want to go down that path.

As far as genre goes, I'm all over the place; however, I listen to no rap, no hip-hop, dubstep or anything of that sort. Very few techno/electronica type songs, but I do have a fair bit of synth in the form of game soundtracks and the like. Most of my listening is rock (Eagles, Kansas, Floyd), but I also have some faster-paced indie (Cage the Elephant notably), and have a fair bit of Linkin Park as well. I'm also a huge fan of musicals and more operatic sound; I frequently listen to Rent, Sweeney Todd, Phantom, etc.. I also listen to classical on occasion, and am getting into jazz.

I've spent countless hours looking into this, and haven't been able to come to any sort of conclusive answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Apologies for the long post.

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #7,433 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking for recommendations for headphones that fulfill a number of requirements:

- good for listening to full orchestral music, giving a sense of clarity, space and depth.
- need to be lightweight, minimul pressure, ideally sitting on the ear and not pressing below the ear at all. I have tinnitus arising from a problem with my jaw, and any pressure on the jaw muscle immediately below the ear makes the tinnitus worse. I have tried the ATH-AD1000 and they are definite NOT ok for me. It was these headphones that caused my underlying jaw problems to show up in the first place.
- can be with our without a headphone amp, but the total cost of my outlay can't be more than approximately $1,000 (Australian)
- I have been recommended the Allesandro MS-Pro's for comfort and lightness, but have heard that they are not so good for soundstage.

Would IEMs perhaps be more suitable for you then? 

For headphones, maybe the Beyerdynamic T50p? That has one of the smallest pads I can think of and it sits nearly in the ear. Along with a light clamp, it shouldn't place any pressure on your jaw or surrounding area at all. The B&W P5 may also be in consideration. 

Quote:
Hello all,

I've been on here on and off for a little while, and lurking for much longer than that. Current gear is in my sig, and comprises a system that can be either portable or static depending on my needs (I traveled a lot until very recently). I've also recently acquired a set of RE-ZEROs, and find them very much to my liking, if that helps at all.

However, now that I'm in a more permanent housing situation, I'm looking to get a pair of 'real' desktop cans in the mid-fi range. I'd prefer to keep suggestions to what I can reasonably power with my desktop setup as it is right now, but might expand later.

Price range: $300ish (US), but I can swing a fair ways on that if necessary

I'm currently looking at a number of headphones in this range, mostly trying to choose between HE-300, DT880, SR-225i (or maybe even 325i), the Senn HD6xx range, and possibly HE-4 (though that would most certainly require a new amp, which puts them a little more remote for the time being).

In terms of sound signature, I'd like something relatively neutral but still musical (though I do very much enjoy the Grado signature, so the 225i is certainly an option). I like detail, but am leery of the overly bright and sparkly sound so often discussed with regard to the 325i's-- and on top of that, some of my favorite songs I only have in lossy formats at the moment, so something too detailed or revealing might not be the best idea. I always prefer open to closed. I prefer quality and texture to quantity when it comes to bass. I like soundstage, especially given some of my genre interests. Having listened pretty intently to a set of K701s, I can safely say that I definitely don't want to go down that path.

As far as genre goes, I'm all over the place; however, I listen to no rap, no hip-hop, dubstep or anything of that sort. Very few techno/electronica type songs, but I do have a fair bit of synth in the form of game soundtracks and the like. Most of my listening is rock (Eagles, Kansas, Floyd), but I also have some faster-paced indie (Cage the Elephant notably), and have a fair bit of Linkin Park as well. I'm also a huge fan of musicals and more operatic sound; I frequently listen to Rent, Sweeney Todd, Phantom, etc.. I also listen to classical on occasion, and am getting into jazz.

I've spent countless hours looking into this, and haven't been able to come to any sort of conclusive answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Apologies for the long post.

My vote goes to the DT880. It has a very nice balanced sound and staging. You could also go with the DT990 which gives up some midrange for more soundstage and a more aggressive tone. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #7,434 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm planning to get a friend of mine who listens exclusively to indie rock (at 320kbps, due to my recommendation) some new headphones. He is currently listening with $5 sony earbud that gives out horrible bass. Is the Koss KSC75 good for him ? The FR graphs seems to suggest its good for rock as it is some what similar to the Grado SR60

PS: Isolation is not wanted and my budget is <$50

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #7,435 of 29,490
What else should I buy along with the AD 700?.. Does it need sound card or the on board will function okay? (Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-USB3L)

If I have to buy sound card, what would it be? Asus Xonar DG?
Does it function 100% with the AD 700?
Should I go for the AD700 for gaming?
Do they sound really bad in Action films (No bass?)

Thanks.

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #7,436 of 29,490
What else should I buy along with the AD 700?.. Does it need sound card or the on board will function okay? (Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-USB3L)

If I have to buy sound card, what would it be? Asus Xonar DG?
Does it function 100% with the AD 700?
Should I go for the AD700 for gaming?
Do they sound really bad in Action films (No bass?)

Thanks.

I'd start with a uDac or an E9 for them. They don't need one, but they benefit.

They aren't bad for movies, but lack of bass will hurt them if you like action movies. Soundstaging is still good though so it's a little bit of a tradeoff.

Sennheiser HD 598's vs AKG K 272 HD's?

HD 598 hands down.

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #7,437 of 29,490
i have the same question with ozil. i odered ad700 for watching HD moive on my laptop. i have some question : i want to buy a USB soundcard, what should is it ( for movies) : earforces dss 7.1 or creative x-fi 5.1 usb. or something else . and are those soundcard worth itself ?
thanks and sorry for my Eng.
and 1 more ques :d : what headphone is best for watching movies under 200$ . both open and closed . i just want to ask if ad700 does not satisfy me . thanks again :D:D

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #7,438 of 29,490
i have the same question with ozil. i odered ad700 for watching HD moive on my laptop. i have some question : i want to buy a USB soundcard, what should is it ( for movies) : earforces dss 7.1 or creative x-fi 5.1 usb. or something else . and are those soundcard worth itself ?
and 1 more ques :d : what headphone is best for watching movies under 200$ . both open and closed . i just want to ask if ad700 does not satisfy me . thanks again :D:D

Expecting to be unsatisfied already is no good, but I watch movies on my hd 598 and love it. Enough bass to feel the boom and amazing mids that bring the vocals forward even in loud action sequences.

No experience with those cards, but I'd probably suggest an E7. Small, USB powered and it can double as a portable amp later on.

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #7,439 of 29,490

Quote:

I've never used one, but the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card has a decent headphone amplifier.

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #7,440 of 29,490

Quote:
hello everyone,

i am looking for some closed phones, max price around $100

i mostly listen to classic, progressive, and alternative rock and heavy metal. on occasion jazz and classical (study music)

my favorite artists are Dream Theater, Primus, Tool, Rush, and That 1 Guy (hes kind of electronic if you haven't heard of him)

i don't currently have an amp but would be completely fine purchasing one in the $20-$25 range.

i like a good amount of bass, but i tend to like it tight and not too overpowering.

any help would be much appreciated!

thanks!

Sony V6/7506/ZX700

Shure 440/550

Senn PX200-ii

KRK 6400

how would you compare these to a set of m50's?

thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back