++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 22, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #7,396 of 29,490

Quote:
I'd hit up the Pro 900. Amazing headphones and many love them with a Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable. Nice thinf about the 900 as well is the removeable cable. Get the cans, order the cable. Still get to enjoy them while you wait and the switch is as easy as screwig in the new cable.

Should I terminate with a xlr plug, or will a 1/8 plug suffice? 

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #7,397 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting some new headphones in the next few weeks and need a little help.  My budget is around $200. I'm looking for some headphones that will be used on my computer without an amp.  Quality construction is a must! I tend to break pairs after a year and a half of use, and I'd like to break that habit.  I'll mostly be using these headphones for music (house, trace, rock, rap).  Swivel, closed, over ear headphones is what I would prefer.  I had a pair of dt-770 80 pro and I enjoyed the sound, but they broke after about a year and a half of torture and I didn't like that they weren't swivel earphones.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Sounds like you need a pair of Ultrasone HFI 780s. I currently own the 580s and the build quality is amazing!

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #7,398 of 29,490
Can you give us a better idea of what kind of sound you're looking for? What headphones have you had before that you liked (or didn't like)?

I like the denon d1001 I had. But besides that I don't have much expereince. And I am not sure what you mean by sound but I listen to music like coldplay or hellogoodbye. I don't care if its opened or closed and I'll be using meier stepdance to drive it.

Thanks.

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #7,399 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for some headphones less then $250 that are good for metal/rock/electronica, as well as a lot of gaming so comfort is a factor. I have had the PX100 and HD650's and they sound good but are a little bit too laid back and I wish to find something that is a little more clear in their presentation, but not so much that there is a lot of sibilance.

Well there's the middle range HD5xx which I found a little more forward sounding than the HD6xs series. You could also check out the Beyer DT990 consider which has plenty of lows and highs and a decent soundstage. If your electronica genres are more top heavy rather than bottom, then something like the AD900 would be very good.

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting some new headphones in the next few weeks and need a little help.  My budget is around $200. I'm looking for some headphones that will be used on my computer without an amp.  Quality construction is a must! I tend to break pairs after a year and a half of use, and I'd like to break that habit.  I'll mostly be using these headphones for music (house, trace, rock, rap).  Swivel, closed, over ear headphones is what I would prefer.  I had a pair of dt-770 80 pro and I enjoyed the sound, but they broke after about a year and a half of torture and I didn't like that they weren't swivel earphones.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

The DT770 is a very solid headphone... if you managed to break that, I'm not sure if there are any others that would be more survivable short of the Senn HD25-1-ii (on-ear, no swivel) and the Beyer DT48 (beyond budget). Maybe go with something cheaper like the Sony V6/7506, which has very good construction and sounds quite good, and costs a third if your budget. If it lasts even half as long as the Beyer, you're coming out ahead.

Others to consider Allen & Heath XD-53, something by Ultrasone, Pioneer HDJ-2000 (this last one is a bit above budget, but it is a very sturdy headphone). 

Quote:
Should I terminate with a xlr plug, or will a 1/8 plug suffice? 

Stick with a regular plug unless you're planning on going into a balanced setup (in which case it would be a dual 3-pin or a single 4-pin xlr. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #7,400 of 29,490

Quote:
I like the denon d1001 I had. But besides that I don't have much expereince. And I am not sure what you mean by sound but I listen to music like coldplay or hellogoodbye. I don't care if its opened or closed and I'll be using meier stepdance to drive it.

Thanks.

Well in that case the D2000 would be fine. Maybe consider upgrading to some nice leather earpads as well, which will improve comfort and isolation and sound quality. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #7,401 of 29,490
hello everyone,

i am looking for some closed phones, max price around $100
i mostly listen to classic, progressive, and alternative rock and heavy metal. on occasion jazz and classical (study music)
my favorite artists are Dream Theater, Primus, Tool, Rush, and That 1 Guy (hes kind of electronic if you haven't heard of him)
i don't currently have an amp but would be completely fine purchasing one in the $20-$25 range.

i like a good amount of bass, but i tend to like it tight and not too overpowering.
any help would be much appreciated!

thanks!

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #7,402 of 29,490
Pretty much gonna agree and elaborate a little more on some of these.

1: HD 598. I much prefer them to the HD6xx series (which I actually didn't like). Very good headphone with healthy lows and mids.

2: XD-53 is an amazing headphone that is quite durable and sounds amazing. It was my favorite headphone to mix with when I was DJing heavily. I take good care of my things but they seemed solidly build. The HDJ 2000 is another good choice for quality construction as it is all metal. Sound quality is great there as well. For absolute durability I'd suggest the HD 25-1 II or the AIAIAI TMA-1. The TMA-1 is all rubber and very durable, and all the HD 25-1 II's parts are easily buyable and replaceable. As stated, the DT 48 is pretty much the most hardcore headphone ever, but it's beyond budget.

3: Stick with an 1/8" or 1/4". No need to terminate in XLR unless you already have a fully balanced system...

Quote:
Well there's the middle range HD5xx which I found a little more forward sounding than the HD6xs series. You could also check out the Beyer DT990 consider which has plenty of lows and highs and a decent soundstage. If your electronica genres are more top heavy rather than bottom, then something like the AD900 would be very good.

The DT770 is a very solid headphone... if you managed to break that, I'm not sure if there are any others that would be more survivable short of the Senn HD25-1-ii (on-ear, no swivel) and the Beyer DT48 (beyond budget). Maybe go with something cheaper like the Sony V6/7506, which has very good construction and sounds quite good, and costs a third if your budget. If it lasts even half as long as the Beyer, you're coming out ahead.

Others to consider Allen & Heath XD-53, something by Ultrasone, Pioneer HDJ-2000 (this last one is a bit above budget, but it is a very sturdy headphone). 

Stick with a regular plug unless you're planning on going into a balanced setup (in which case it would be a dual 3-pin or a single 4-pin xlr. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #7,403 of 29,490
I know A700 is closed and AD700 is opened headphones.. but does it make the big difference?

also if there's another option for closed headphones and function like opened ones(ad700), and could pay up to 130$

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #7,404 of 29,490
I know A700 is closed and AD700 is opened headphones.. but does it make the big difference?

also if there's another option for closed headphones and function like opened ones(ad700), and could pay up to 130$

It makes a massive difference in the way they sound so yes...

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #7,405 of 29,490

Quote:
hello everyone,

i am looking for some closed phones, max price around $100
i mostly listen to classic, progressive, and alternative rock and heavy metal. on occasion jazz and classical (study music)
my favorite artists are Dream Theater, Primus, Tool, Rush, and That 1 Guy (hes kind of electronic if you haven't heard of him)
i don't currently have an amp but would be completely fine purchasing one in the $20-$25 range.

i like a good amount of bass, but i tend to like it tight and not too overpowering.
any help would be much appreciated!

thanks!

Sony V6/7506/ZX700
Shure 440/550
Senn PX200-ii
KRK 6400

Quote:

Both are mid-centric and have a light and airy sound to them. The AD700 however is noticeable smoother throughout the frequency range and the mids are much clearer. The A700 has a lot of resonance in the mids which makes it sound all echo-y and obscures directionality (if FPS gaming is a concern). The A900 is noticeable better, with better bass extension and cleaner mids. If you really want closed but can't afford the A900, then get the A700 and stick some felt and poster putty in the cups.

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #7,406 of 29,490

Quote:
Both are mid-centric and have a light and airy sound to them. The AD700 however is noticeable smoother throughout the frequency range and the mids are much clearer. The A700 has a lot of resonance in the mids which makes it sound all echo-y and obscures directionality (if FPS gaming is a concern). The A900 is noticeable better, with better bass extension and cleaner mids. If you really want closed but can't afford the A900, then get the A700 and stick some felt and poster putty in the cups.

Alright, and when we compare the Senns PC 350 to AD 700 & A700.. and also keep in mind (im sure you know) that PC 350 is more expensive, what would you pick?

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #7,407 of 29,490
This is actually advice I'm asking on behalf of friend, as I'm not an expert.

He recently got the HiFiMan HE-4's, and he loves them. However, he's using a Fiio E9 to drive them (he doesn't have a lot of money, so he's working his way up with equipment). The problem is, the E9 doesn't have enough power to juice them. They sound pretty low. When you use the gain switch on the back, they sound distorted when their are highs. Would buying the E7 combo give him more power?

He plans on getting this in 6 months: http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Fi-Man-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B004I3WB5M/ref=sr_1h_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316735702&sr=1-4

But wanted something cheaper to hold him over until then. Hence why hes asking about the E7 combo. Any help would be appreciated. :) 

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #7,408 of 29,490
Hiya guys, this is my first real question on the forum, I don't know a ton, so I'm sorry for that.

I've been listening to different genres for a while, and now I am extremely into Dubstep, DnB, and some Electro House. The first headphones I used, like many others, were the stock iBuds. They satisfied me for a while. Then I got into rap in 7th, 8th grade and tried some skullcandies. They were the Hesh model, they broke after 3 months. Needless to say, I will never go with anything they make ever again. When I used to game, I had a pair of Tritton AX720s, and I use them right now. I can't imagine they are super bassy, as that wouldn't be a great quality for a gaming headphone. They sound good to my ears through my laptop and foobar(far better than itunes). I have no reference so I obviously can't give a great description of what I would like. I also listen with 320kbps mp3s, so low quality audio isn't a huge problem. My portable is an iPhone 4 16gb.

Now, I have lurked and found a few headphones that would seem to fit my needs.

The Sony XB series came to mind first, as I hear they are a tremendous budget headphone, Rpgwizard seems to loves his XB500s to death. People have said they are very boomy, while the 700s have huge sub-bass, but not so much kick. For a song like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00aTAKI7cOA&feature=channel_video_title , I know there is sub-bass there, I can just barely feel it. Here is a song that I know there is a kick as well, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swzMccCnnFs , and I can also feel it, it sounds good. I don't know a ton about the 1000s, so I am not sure.

I also looked at the ATH-M50s, HFI-580s, and ATH PRO700 MK2s. These all seem to be pretty good. I just would really love a ton of in-your-face bass, but not destroying the mids, because when I go EQ crazy, it feels like everything is being shrouded on a very bassy setting, and then when the bass stops, the veil is lifted. Now, this is only when I go full retard and bass up the EQ up a ton. I saw that the MK2s have the most bass of these 3, and it really seems like a fun headphone. I guess you could say I'm going after a very fun, boomy, headphone, but still retains the mids and highs, as well as having a nice sub-bass extension. 

If anyone could direct me in a good direction, it would be very greatly appreciated. 

Edit:
I am also interested in the Vmoda M80s, even though they are a portable.

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #7,409 of 29,490
This is actually advice I'm asking on behalf of friend, as I'm not an expert.

He recently got the HiFiMan HE-4's, and he loves them. However, he's using a Fiio E9 to drive them (he doesn't have a lot of money, so he's working his way up with equipment). The problem is, the E9 doesn't have enough power to juice them. They sound pretty low. When you use the gain switch on the back, they sound distorted when their are highs. Would buying the E7 combo give him more power?

He plans on getting this in 6 months: http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Fi-Man-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B004I3WB5M/ref=sr_1h_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316735702&sr=1-4

But wanted something cheaper to hold him over until then. Hence why hes asking about the E7 combo. Any help would be appreciated. :) 

No the E7 would do nothing. The E7 is a DAC when paired with the E9. No more power.

What you need to do is go to Goodwill or garage sales and find an old receiver. The HE-4 is one of the most power hungry cans out there. I wouldn't suggest anything under hundreds of dollars for the HE 4 in the vein of 'headphone amps'. But receivers give you a lot of power and are cheap if you can find one second hand.

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #7,410 of 29,490
Hiya guys, this is my first real question on the forum, I don't know a ton, so I'm sorry for that.

I've been listening to different genres for a while, and now I am extremely into Dubstep, DnB, and some Electro House. The first headphones I used, like many others, were the stock iBuds. They satisfied me for a while. Then I got into rap in 7th, 8th grade and tried some skullcandies. They were the Hesh model, they broke after 3 months. Needless to say, I will never go with anything they make ever again. When I used to game, I had a pair of Tritton AX720s, and I use them right now. I can't imagine they are super bassy, as that wouldn't be a great quality for a gaming headphone. They sound good to my ears through my laptop and foobar(far better than itunes). I have no reference so I obviously can't give a great description of what I would like. I also listen with 320kbps mp3s, so low quality audio isn't a huge problem. My portable is an iPhone 4 16gb.

Now, I have lurked and found a few headphones that would seem to fit my needs.

The Sony XB series came to mind first, as I hear they are a tremendous budget headphone, Rpgwizard seems to loves his XB500s to death. People have said they are very boomy, while the 700s have huge sub-bass, but not so much kick. For a song like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00aTAKI7cOA&feature=channel_video_title , I know there is sub-bass there, I can just barely feel it. Here is a song that I know there is a kick as well, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swzMccCnnFs , and I can also feel it, it sounds good. I don't know a ton about the 1000s, so I am not sure.

I also looked at the ATH-M50s, HFI-580s, and ATH PRO700 MK2s. These all seem to be pretty good. I just would really love a ton of in-your-face bass, but not destroying the mids, because when I go EQ crazy, it feels like everything is being shrouded on a very bassy setting, and then when the bass stops, the veil is lifted. Now, this is only when I go full retard and bass up the EQ up a ton. I saw that the MK2s have the most bass of these 3, and it really seems like a fun headphone. I guess you could say I'm going after a very fun, boomy, headphone, but still retains the mids and highs, as well as having a nice sub-bass extension. 

If anyone could direct me in a good direction, it would be very greatly appreciated. 

Edit:
I am also interested in the Vmoda M80s, even though they are a portable.

I'd probably go with the XB700s with no more info. What's your budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back