++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 20, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #7,338 of 29,490
Having trouble deciding from a beyer dt990 or a midrange grado..... i want something that runs unamped preferably, but I'm willing to spend 150 or so on an amp. I was also considering maybe senn. any suggestions on those?

Senn. 598. Sounds excellent unamped and (I think) is a nice medium between the 2 sound wise.

I'd take the 990 over a Grado, but the Grado will perform better unamped.

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #7,339 of 29,490
Well, let me say that this is my first post here on Head.fi.

With that, let me thank the community here for the great info database it has provided me. Now, having tried to use the search function to the best of my ability and having been doing so for the last couple of days I decided to finally put forth my inquiry. 

I am looking for a closed full size headphone in the price-range between 50 and 100. I would have gotten the AD-700 but since they are open I am afraid they would disturb those around me too much... Looking for isolation. What other options would you all present to me? I listen to pretty much all genresf; from classical, to country, to rock, to electronica, etc....

My current set up is portable due to my being out most of the time, with a E7 amp feeding my RE0 headphones. Decent deal and by far the best sound I have heard so far. I will be use the headphone with this amp/dac most of the time.

links to other threads are fine..

Looking forward to hearing all that you have to say.
Thanks.

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #7,340 of 29,490

Quote:

With that, let me thank the community here for the great info database it has provided me. Now, having tried to use the search function to the best of my ability and having been doing so for the last couple of days I decided to finally put forth my inquiry. 

I am looking for a closed full size headphone in the price-range between 50 and 100. I would have gotten the AD-700 but since they are open I am afraid they would disturb those around me too much... Looking for isolation. What other options would you all present to me? I listen to pretty much all genresf; from classical, to country, to rock, to electronica, etc....

My current set up is portable due to my being out most of the time, with a E7 amp feeding my RE0 headphones. Decent deal and by far the best sound I have heard so far. I will be use the headphone with this amp/dac most of the time.

Thanks.

Isn't the ATH-A700 the closed version of the AD700?

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #7,341 of 29,490
 yeah but at 120 its a bit high.

now that I think about it... Are there any temporary mods to the AD700 to essentially close them? that way you have the best of both worlds... whatever you want when you want it.

I have no idea how this would effect the sound. No experience in modding or in cans.

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #7,342 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks.

I've never listened to the A700's but I understand them to be superb for their money, though they cannot be had within your price range at most online retailers. The AD700's are in my opinion the better value of the two because you get much of the same hardware, some improved soundstage, and a lower price. If you need isolation I would say spend the money on the A700's. You can go substantially lower in price and get the M40fs or M35/M30, both of which are superb for their current price. Very detailed and fun sound from the M30/35s. If you need portability spend the extra $10 or whatever on the M35. They fold up brilliantly and offer the same tingly goodness as the 30s. 40fs sound even better to me but don't seem to play as loud, more flat but a little more reliable as a monitor set. If you're amplifying then no worries. 

I also loved the AKG240 but they are "semi open." If you are looking down in the $50 range I would NOT recommend the K99. They are great but i just could not spend the money on those when the M40fs can be had so cheap. Likewise I would NOT take the K171 over the M50's. IMO the AKG's get significantly better moving north of $100, whereas the Audio Technica's seem to find a way to still sound "fun" at the lower points. 

I also really like the SHURE phones, SRH440 and beyond. They are not as comfy as the AT's but they feel very well built and perhaps have less synthetic, sparkly sound than the M40's or M30's. 

Of course this is all subject to my own ears. :)

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #7,343 of 29,490

Quote:

now that I think about it... Are there any temporary mods to the AD700 to essentially close them? that way you have the best of both worlds... whatever you want when you want it.

I have no idea how this would effect the sound. No experience in modding or in cans.

Cans of this size can often be modded but for the price difference it would not be worth my time to mod an AD700. Just spend the extra money and go mow your in-law's lawn. 

Plus you'll quench the great strengths of the AD's. 

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #7,344 of 29,490
While we're on this can I get some advice from anyone who will offer it?

I need to pick up a set of cans for under $100. I've chosen the AD700s but what I really want is the Denon AH-D1100. At $199 though I just couldn't rationalize them. Then I find these at buy.com ($135). And these at eBay ($130). 

Both items ship from PA so I'm guessing they are from the same retailer. If so, they are NOT an authorized e-tailer for Denon but they do have a return policy. Apparently the phones are indeed new. The same seller also has buyer-returned items on further discount which at least indicates that there could be some honesty in the listings. 

Looking for some logic and reason here more than headphone advice. 

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #7,345 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm looking for some headphones that are good, rugged walking-around headphones. What I currently use for walking-around headphones are a pair of beat-to-hell Sennheiser HD280 Pros but they are literally falling apart. The reason I ask this question is the reason that the HD280s are falling apart. The padded parts are getting ripped and have competely unglued from the actual headphone. They still sound fine, I look like a damn rabbit when I take them off my ears and I'm concerned the pads will fall off competely, or that gluing the pads back on will compromise sound isolation/integrity. What I look for in these walking-around headphones:

- Good sound isolation. I don't want to be bothered by someone else's heaphones on the bus, and I certainly don't want to be bothering anybody else with mine.
- Rugged. The HD280s lasted about 3 years of active outside duty, and about 1 year of inside duty before that, which is honestly longer than I expected any headphone to last.
- Preferably low impedance, but I could make an amp if I had to.
- Sub $200.
- Being a young male, I like bass. These headphones will be use exclusively for music. My reference point for how things should sound is my EMU 0202 into AKG 240s. However I'm not incredibly concerned with sound quality as what I'm using for sound source right now is a pretty ****ty source, however I hope to remedy that soon.

IEMs are out of the question. I can't stand the way they feel in my ears. It makes me feel like I'm a low ranking officer in Star Trek II. Anyways, any input would be great, thanks.

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #7,346 of 29,490
Yeah, was thinking of the Denon's but it appears they leak sound more than a closed can should. And the W5000 is I think similar to the W1000x that I already have in that its sound is more suited towards classical and acoustic music. The Thunderpants may be interesting though...

Quote:
Some random shots in the dark...
Denon D7000 or modded D5000
ATH-W5000x
Thunderpants

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #7,347 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for a solid pair of headphones to use with my macbook and ipod [without an amp of any kind, as I'm trying to keep my gear minimal for travel], and I was hoping to get a bit of advice from audiophiles far more knowledgeable than myself. I'm very glad to have found head-fi for information, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the sheer depth and breadth of the information provided. After some digging and reading a lot of comparison posts, reviews, and some very helpful shootout posts, I feel like I have enough information to explain what I'm looking for and hopefully make an informed decision -- however, in my opinion, nothing will beat a recommendation from someone knowledgeable, so here I am!

My budget is ideally $50-$100 USD, but I can go up to $200 or a bit more, for the sake of finding the best fit for my needs.

Needs, in order of importance:

- Comfort: By far one of my biggest concerns, as I tend towards severe headaches with headphones that clamp too firmly, and I also wear glasses, which can interfere.

- Portable/semi-portable: I'm on the go nearly all of the time, and most of my listening opportunities happen on the bus or when I'm otherwise in transit.

- Durable: I'm admittedly hard on my gear, and I've been tempted by Skullcandy's warranty [if not by anything else], because I hate to lose an investment to clumsiness or extreme wear-and-tear. Some of my problems in the past have been flimsy folding joints and cords without decent strain reliefs.

- Closed: Listening on the bus or other public places means that closed cans are my best bet, and even when I'm at home I'm trying not to disturb others with my music or movies. [My roommate also has a son who stomps all over the floor directly above my room, so some isolation from that would also be highly appreciated.]

- Circumaural: preferably, as I prefer this fit, but supraaural isn't a deal-breaker if my other needs are met. I strongly dislike in-ear, as the fit almost never agrees with me and I don't like the sensation, even if I love the noise isolation.

I listen to a huge variety of music, so something that's well-balanced and versatile would be terrific. However, vocals tend to factor heavily into my listening experience, and my collection trends towards acoustics, folk, alt rock, and indie. [With fair amount of indie rap and classic rock.]

At various points in my search, I've had people recommend the Sennheister HD555, Beyerdynamic DT770, Sennheiser HD25-1 II, Phiaton MS400 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50, [as well as a variety of others] but I'm curious to hear how they stack up from people who've used them, and I don't know how well they'd fit my needs.

With the information I currently have, I'm leaning towards the MS400s, but I'm always open to new information. [They're also at the outside of my price range, which makes me slightly hesitant.]  I'll admit that the very nice carrying case plays a role in my preference, but I'm also not knowledgeable enough to be aware of any cases that could be purchased to fit other headphones [i.e.- the M50s], and I don't know of others headphone that come with such a sturdy, compact case.

I appreciate any help that you're willing to give, and I'm perfectly okay with being corrected about something that I'm misinformed about or I've misunderstood while researching. Thanks!

Consider the Shure 440/840, Sony V6/7506 and Senn HD280/380. They are all quite comfortable, reasonably portable (fold flat or collapse), well built and within budget.

DT770 are a little big for portable use and generally want an amp, although they are quite comfy and isolate well.
HD555 does not isolate at all.
HD25 clamp rather hard and can be uncomfortable, although isolation is excellent
MS400 are really nice, but they also tend to be more supra rather than circumaural

Quote:
I'm looking for open circumaural headphones with forwards mids and a lot of bass impact. (I'll likely be using it for games, so a decent soundstage would be nice.)

Perhaps something in the Senn HD5xx series? They have the mids and decent bass. If you're a competitive gamer, you don't want too much bass otherwise it'll impede the directionality. To get a good bass "impact" that doesn't obscure too much, look for good extension but very fast decay.

Quote:
Having trouble deciding from a beyer dt990 or a midrange grado..... i want something that runs unamped preferably, but I'm willing to spend 150 or so on an amp. I was also considering maybe senn. any suggestions on those?

The DT990 really wants an amp to sound its best. The grado will do better without amp. As an odd alternative, maybe the Beyer T50p? It has a sorta grado like sound and energy to it and is easy to drive.

Quote:

Thanks.

Good isolation in that price range:
Shure 440
Sony V6 (large pads, but they sit on rather than around)
Sennheiser HD280

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #7,348 of 29,490

Quote:

There's a thread around here where someone did just that. I believe the gist of it was to take the cups apart and tape up the inside (something simple like electrical tape). While there, you can experiment with some felt or poster putty to dampen the tune the sound (a simple start would be a bit of poster putty to fill in any large crevices, then a small disk of felt at the rear of the cup.

Quote:
While we're on this can I get some advice from anyone who will offer it?

I need to pick up a set of cans for under $100. I've chosen the AD700s but what I really want is the Denon AH-D1100. At $199 though I just couldn't rationalize them. Then I find these at buy.com ($135). And these at eBay ($130). 

Both items ship from PA so I'm guessing they are from the same retailer. If so, they are NOT an authorized e-tailer for Denon but they do have a return policy. Apparently the phones are indeed new. The same seller also has buyer-returned items on further discount which at least indicates that there could be some honesty in the listings. 

Looking for some logic and reason here more than headphone advice. 

General rule of thumb here is that if the price is too good to be true, then it probably is. I have no experience with buy.com personally.

Also check camelcamelcamel.com for pricing history. Here's the D1100... http://camelcamelcamel.com/Denon-AH-D1100-Advanced-Over-Ear-Headphones/product/B0042ETXRQ
So actually the sale price doesn't look entirely unreasonable... but I would dig around for some seller ratings first.

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for some headphones that are good, rugged walking-around headphones. What I currently use for walking-around headphones are a pair of beat-to-hell Sennheiser HD280 Pros but they are literally falling apart. The reason I ask this question is the reason that the HD280s are falling apart. The padded parts are getting ripped and have competely unglued from the actual headphone. They still sound fine, I look like a damn rabbit when I take them off my ears and I'm concerned the pads will fall off competely, or that gluing the pads back on will compromise sound isolation/integrity. What I look for in these walking-around headphones:

- Good sound isolation. I don't want to be bothered by someone else's heaphones on the bus, and I certainly don't want to be bothering anybody else with mine.
- Rugged. The HD280s lasted about 3 years of active outside duty, and about 1 year of inside duty before that, which is honestly longer than I expected any headphone to last.
- Preferably low impedance, but I could make an amp if I had to.
- Sub $200.
- Being a young male, I like bass. These headphones will be use exclusively for music. My reference point for how things should sound is my EMU 0202 into AKG 240s. However I'm not incredibly concerned with sound quality as what I'm using for sound source right now is a pretty ****ty source, however I hope to remedy that soon.

IEMs are out of the question. I can't stand the way they feel in my ears. It makes me feel like I'm a low ranking officer in Star Trek II. Anyways, any input would be great, thanks.

At this point, it doesn't hurt to try glueing the pads back on. The padding on the headband can be reattached with whatever you have handy and it won't affect sound quality. If it's the earpads, just as long as you're not shoving half a stick of hot glue in there you should be fine. I think the earpads are replaceable anyways.

For other headphones, you could consider:
Senn HD380
Shure 840
Audio Technica M50
Audio Technica Pro700mk2 (aka Denon HP1000)
Ultrasone HFi580/Pro750/Pro900

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #7,350 of 29,490

Quote:
I've never listened to the A700's but I understand them to be superb for their money, though they cannot be had within your price range at most online retailers. The AD700's are in my opinion the better value of the two because you get much of the same hardware, some improved soundstage, and a lower price. If you need isolation I would say spend the money on the A700's. You can go substantially lower in price and get the M40fs or M35/M30, both of which are superb for their current price. Very detailed and fun sound from the M30/35s. If you need portability spend the extra $10 or whatever on the M35. They fold up brilliantly and offer the same tingly goodness as the 30s. 40fs sound even better to me but don't seem to play as loud, more flat but a little more reliable as a monitor set. If you're amplifying then no worries. 

I also loved the AKG240 but they are "semi open." If you are looking down in the $50 range I would NOT recommend the K99. They are great but i just could not spend the money on those when the M40fs can be had so cheap. Likewise I would NOT take the K171 over the M50's. IMO the AKG's get significantly better moving north of $100, whereas the Audio Technica's seem to find a way to still sound "fun" at the lower points. 

I also really like the SHURE phones, SRH440 and beyond. They are not as comfy as the AT's but they feel very well built and perhaps have less synthetic, sparkly sound than the M40's or M30's. 

Of course this is all subject to my own ears. :)

Thank you VERY much for all the information. That now frees me up to do a little bit of research. I will probably be going with one of the AT seeing as their price range is optimal for me; If I do end up swinging towards the hundred mark I will probably then just swing for the A700. Off to research.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back